Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics

Anyone else watching? Been pretty into it so far, watched cycling yesterday and also Adam Peatty smashing the world record. Also watched a bit of table tennis and some fencing since I got home today, fencing is a bit dull.

the drugs issues has put me off if I'm honest
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

love the running tho its not started yet

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
        Russian state-sponsored doping has surely now turned the Olympics into a totally discredited farce, in which the winners will be decided by who can cheat the system rather than who are the best athletes. What a tragic state of affairs that the once greatest amateur sporting competition in history has descended to this.

Comment

its gone on for years , not just russians . ben johnson and our own linford christie

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            Russian state-sponsored doping has surely now turned the Olympics into a totally discredited farce, in which the winners will be decided by who can cheat the system rather than who are the best athletes. What a tragic state of affairs that the once greatest amateur sporting competition in history has descended to this.
            A very high percentage of pro level sportsman will be on some sort of PED, it's been going on forever - I won't say every single one but I have my suspicions. It just depends whether the relevant governing body class it as a "prohibitive substance" or not. Maria Sharapova is a perfect example of this. "Heart medication..."

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
              its gone on for years , not just russians . ben johnson and our own linford christie
              Yes but much bigger scale though now, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                I personally think Farah could have, the whole couldnt hear my doorbell thing wasnt great. Used to see him around Hampton in post officre and stuff before he became really big and he was a really nice guy, less so since the olympics. Also curious if Radcliffe is doing the armstrong thing of trying to hide her possible doping by shouting loud about others.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                  Are you doing too many ?

Comment

Really not the slightest bit interested in the Olympics, but if they allowed the athletes to take any drug they wanted, I'd definitely watch. Ben Johnson's 100m was epic.

Comment

Originally posted by jfish View Post
                      Are you doing too many ?
                      they've put me on a stronger pill for my dodgy blood pressure, but I'll still not break any Olympic records

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        Yes but much bigger scale though now, isn't it?
                        Just better testing methods. When they re tested the 2008 samples, I think it was more than 10% were dodgy

Comment

I assume that not everybody takes drugs but now suspicion falls on anybody who does well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                            Just better testing methods. When they re tested the 2008 samples, I think it was more than 10% were dodgy
                            Where's the deterrent though? Any athletes caught taking a banned substance should be banned for life. Surely that's the only way to eradicate the scourge on a sport that has essentially had its whole credibility ruined. It's the very antithesis of what 'sport' is supposed to stand for i.e. fair play - particularly the oldest and most famous amateur competition in man's history.

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                              I assume that not everybody takes drugs but now suspicion falls on anybody who does well.
                              some are so obvious. FloJo for example. Had come from nowhere and when the testing became more stringent she hung up her spikes. Sadly she paid a heavy price for her misuse

Comment

Working...
                              X