No announcement yet.

Top 5 dribblers in football history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These days they just fall over claiming a free kicks whilst yesteryears players dodged all the sliders and made the most of it.

Comment

Not so sure it's a generational thing as when Pele and Maradona played, football was still a contact sport, with the likes of the butcher of Bilbao ..the butcher of butchers so in a way back then dribbling had its own obstacles.
      Players however like Pele and Maradona are so great they are a bit like the rolling stones they would have suceeded whatever period of time they popped up.
      As to more time then, great players make time ..Zidane and Messi make time stand still and they are modern era.
      Stan was pure perfection and different generation I liked Hagi.

Comment

IMHO all these guys would have stood out in any era as they were all exceptionally talented. One point I would like to make though, is not like in recent times, skillful players also had to be very brave. Defenders were told by their managers to put them in to row Z at the first opportunity, and didn't receive anything more than a ticking off from the refs. That's why I would class players like Best, Bowles, Pele as the 'hard men' of football. and not the likes of 'Chopper' Harris, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter. They received very little protection but got back up and carried on trying to beat their man.

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
          and from the boys from the Bush
          Rodney Marsh
          Stan Bowles
          Adel Taraabt
          Roy Wegerle
          Tony Currie
          and a special mention to 2 loan signings Morrison and Mark Kennedy
          Would add Dave Thomas to the list as well
          I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Besty would make most lists I'd imagine.
            I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

and from the not too distant past
              Charlie Cooke
              Eddie Gray
              Terry Cooper
              Jimmy Johnston
              Chris Waddle
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

I would have to add:

George Best
                Johann Cruyff
                Paul Gascoigne
                Chris Waddle
                Ryan Giggs

Comment

Originally posted by Dunraven View Post
                  No Michael meaker? That man would ignore an open goal just to go back and try to dribble around the ref
                  Marsh done that at the bridge but not the ref . He stopped the ball on the goal line then went round a defender before tapping it in.

Comment

Gazza
                    SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Working...
                    X