Top 5 dribblers in football history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 dribblers in football history

Reminder of how awful defending was back in the day.... Pele and The Hand had enough time to roll one up and smoke it in some of those clips......

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
      Reminder of how awful defending was back in the day.
      Or how great Pele and Maradona were.

Comment

Glad no one has said Dwight Yorkes son.
        "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
        London Pride is a flower that's free.
        London Pride means our own dear town to us,
        And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
          Reminder of how awful defending was back in the day.... Pele and The Hand had enough time to roll one up and smoke it in some of those clips......
          Yes ...that must be it..........you've just watched a video of some of the most talented footballers ever.....and they look good because of 'awful defending '.......

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post
            Glad no one has said Dwight Yorkes son.
            You made me do a lol.
            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

and from the boys from the Bush
              Rodney Marsh
              Stan Bowles
              Adel Taraabt
              Roy Wegerle
              Tony Currie
              and a special mention to 2 loan signings Morrison and Mark Kennedy
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

oh for one of those fellas down the bush

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
                  Yes ...that must be it..........you've just watched a video of some of the most talented footballers ever.....and they look good because of 'awful defending '.......
                  old enough to have seen all these in the flesh bro, lovely balance, lovely touch, wish we had someone with 50% of any of that lot but you can not get away from the fact that back in the day defending was indifferent.

In fact anyone who knows their Rs history knows this is the case, we were fortunate enough to have a couple of lads who could take out a whole back line with one turn....

Comment

Pele and Maradona were incredible but there is a higher pace to todays game.

Comment

Some perspective needed...

You have to bear in mind that the footballs and player's boots (not to mention the pitches) were a lot heavier in those days. Also players were just footballers, unlike the athletes they also are today. Both these factors contributed to the slower pace of the game back then. That certainly didn't make it less skillful though. The likes of Pele, Best and Bowles would have been equally as phenomenal today as they were in the 60's and 70's.

I must also disagree with Hal9thou in that not all defending was as poor as he makes out. Facchetti, Beckenbauer and Moore being just three examples of some of the greatest defenders in football history.

Comment

The thing that stands out for me watching that video is the speed of footwork.......They would still bamboozle a well drilled modern defence....

Comment

Fair point about heavier boots and balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            I must also disagree with Hal9thou in that not all defending was as poor as he makes out. Facchetti, Beckenbauer and Moore being just three examples of some of the greatest defenders in football history.
                            Excellent individual examples but - as far as I can recall - only the Italians were really capable of closing the back door as a system, using the libero. Today even that would be surplus to requirements (largely because the role of the GK has vastly expanded, meaning everyone is naturally pressing up that bit more = less space). There are other systems in place for when the ball is lost which simply didn't apply back then.

Arguably though, the ability to take men out of the game is even more precious precisely because there is less space and time........... From QPR Stan, Rodders and Adel all had the gift. There were others, but not in that class. Which makes the Adel thing so sad.

Comment

No Michael meaker? That man would ignore an open goal just to go back and try to dribble around the ref

Comment

Working...
                              X