Striker/Winger Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    3 at the back is not the present or the future.

Name me a side that has succeeded domestically in the English league playing 3 at the back? There may be some sides who have used it to good effect on the continent but our league has always suited 4 at the back in the modern era of football. Now I know that you'll argue that I'm speaking about the past, but I'd put my mortgage on the fact that all of the top 4 in the Prem next season will adopt a formation with 4 at the back!
    I disagree. Conte wont play with 4 at the back at Chelsea.

Comment

3 at the back is not the present or the future.

Name me a side that has succeeded domestically in the English league playing 3 at the back? There may be some sides who have used it to good effect on the continent but our league has always suited 4 at the back in the modern era of football. Now I know that you'll argue that I'm speaking about the past, but I'd put my mortgage on the fact that all of the top 4 in the Prem next season will adopt a formation with 4 at the back!
      West Ham this season played it phenomenally well, but my point is not that it's the present but that it's the future. You're seeing more of two things these days. 1) Pacy centre backs; 2) Ball Playing Centre Backs. The combination of these guys will bring about more teams playing 3 at the back in the long run. In fact, Leicester two seasons ago ended the season phenomenally and started the unbelievable show of last season by playing 3 at the back. When you have Full Backs becoming wing backs like they are in modern football, the next step is going to be a 3 at the back. It may not be next season, but it will happen.

Just a point though, with the money and draw the top 4 have, they can afford to buy the very best defensive players who will obviously be capable of playing as a defensive pairing. However more players will come in from the continent who work best in a trio and go to mid table, top half and bottom half sides.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by bradrangers View Post
        I disagree. Conte wont play with 4 at the back at Chelsea.
        Don't know enough about Conte as a manager to know what he prefers. Is 3 at the back his thing then?

My point was it has never suited our league. English centre halves have never got their head around 3 at the back and teams that have employed it as a formation have been exposed when sides have play against them with pacey wingers.

I guess time will tell though!

Comment

the transfer window has technically been open for 13 days......Give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            West Ham this season played it phenomenally well.
            Is that the West Ham that set up with 4 at the back for pretty much all of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
              Is that the West Ham that set up with 4 at the back for pretty much all of the season?
              what i was thinking. Cresswell and Antonio/Jenkinson pretty much all season wasn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                The very same mate!

As I said, our league suits 4 at the back.

If Conte reckons he can win it with 3 at the back then good luck to him........but he won't!

Comment

The very same mate!

As I said, our league suits 4 at the back.

If Conte reckons he can win it with 3 at the back then good luck to him........but he won't!

Conte will do a Redknapp. Play 3 at the back, get spanked then revert to the system the Chelsea players are used to.

Comment

Ngbakoto, Leckie and Wells would do me. We must have abit of dough in the bank. We've signed Lynch, Bidwell, Borysuik, Cousins with just the Phillips money

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                      what i was thinking. Cresswell and Antonio/Jenkinson pretty much all season wasn't it.
                      Well not really. So they generally played with a rotational 3 at the back when defending and reverted to a 4 at the back when on the front foot. Jenko only played 12 games for them at right back this season. What was more often the case was that they'd play Tomkins at "Right Back" when they were attacking and he'd shift into the middle when defending and Antonio would move from Right Wing to Right Wing Back so you'd end up with a 3atb. Their general play style was more in the form of a fluid 3atb.

They did play some games where they were very clearly starting with a full 3atb system when defending and attacking and those games in particular were really good, the 3-3 draw against arsenal with the Andy Carroll Hat trick and the 3-2 win at Everton. They definitely have the right players for the system and I think that a lot of the time people go out talking about a system working when it is the players playing in the system who make it work. Your 442's don't win you leagues unless you have a Kante, they haven't done in a long long time.
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                        Ngbakoto, Leckie and Wells would do me. We must have abit of dough in the bank. We've signed Lynch, Bidwell, Borysuik, Cousins with just the Phillips money
                        Did Ted ever actually start that 'Bring Nahki Wells to the Bush' petition?
                        I want to sign.

Comment

Anyone know where I can buy ''I've seen Conor Washington touch the ball'' T-shirts? Apparently sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                            Anyone know where I can buy ''I've seen Conor Washington touch the ball'' T-shirts? Apparently sold out.
                            Must've only made 12 shirts.

Comment

Firstly really pleased with the business we are conducting.

We are 3 players short imo of having a very good chance of being genuine contenders for the top 6. 2 first choice wingers and class striker and we are business.

Couple of rumours I heard is that wells is a main sticker target and Frazier Campbell is being looked at as a possible full back option.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                                Firstly really pleased with the business we are conducting.

We are 3 players short imo of having a very good chance of being genuine contenders for the top 6. 2 first choice wingers and class striker and we are business.

Couple of rumours I heard is that wells is a main sticker target and Frazier Campbell is being looked at as a possible full back option.
                                Do they do Championship Panini collection books mate?

I'm just gonna assume you mean back up

Comment

Working...
                                X