No announcement yet.

FC Gronigen v QPR **Match thread**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weren't Groningen in the Europa League last season? And some fans seem to think we're gonna go over there and turn them over in their own back yard? Unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
      Was hoping for some improvement from him but from what you describe, same as last season comes to mind.

Utter pony player.
      He's as athletic as my arthritic nan, who's been dead for forty years.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
        Weren't Groningen in the Europa League last season? And some fans seem to think we're gonna go over there and turn them over in their own back yard? Unlikely.
        Completely agree, I couldnt find a teamsheet but based on their scorers , this had.a.lot of first teamers in. I think we did well against PSV but we shouldnt expect to beat Groningen at all as they are a better side than us.

Comment

They used 22 players so a lot were reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
            They used 22 players so a lot were reserves.
            Not actually correct here, 18 players were used in the match by them and 15 of them made 13 or more league appearances, while 9 of them made over 20 league appearances for Groningen last season.

Only Van Nieff, Van Weert and Hiariej played fewer than 13 games for them and that's because Van Nieff was on loan at Excelsior last season, Van Weert was signed this summer from Excelsior having scored 11 goals in 32 for the top division side and Hiariej went on loan in the second half of the season to SC Cambuur having made 4 starts for Groningen previously in the season. He then went on to make 14 league appearances for the Eredivisie side SC Cambuur in the second half of the season.

I think that the 16 players who played at least 45 minutes today will make up the mainstay of their side with Larsen going to join them as a main fixture next season and Mahi to supply cover as he did this year (these two being the two who came on in the 61st minute). Certainly not a team with a lot of reserves.

This is all coming from the FC Groningen offish, Transfermarkt and Whoscored regarding appearance information.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              Not actually correct here, 18 players were used in the match by them and 15 of them made 13 or more league appearances, while 9 of them made over 20 league appearances for Groningen last season.

Only Van Nieff, Van Weert and Hiariej played fewer than 13 games for them and that's because Van Nieff was on loan at Excelsior last season, Van Weert was signed this summer from Excelsior having scored 11 goals in 32 for the top division side and Hiariej went on loan in the second half of the season to SC Cambuur having made 4 starts for Groningen previously in the season. He then went on to make 14 league appearances for the Eredivisie side SC Cambuur in the second half of the season.

I think that the 16 players who played at least 45 minutes today will make up the mainstay of their side with Larsen going to join them as a main fixture next season and Mahi to supply cover as he did this year (these two being the two who came on in the 61st minute). Certainly not a team with a lot of reserves.

This is all coming from the FC Groningen offish, Transfermarkt and Whoscored regarding appearance information.
              This is where your brain and stats come in real handy Nas. Good post bud.

Comment

This is where your brain and stats come in real handy Nas. Good post bud.
                I agree - it shows that stats do have a place in the game
                #standuptocancer
                #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Did anyone notice whether a young player Alexander Sørloth playing for Groningen? He is a striker.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

They weren't impressive when I saw them, Aberdeen knocked them out the Europa league a couple of seasons ago, a team from a league that is apparently league one standard, even then they've sold a lot of their best players since then like kostic, botteghin and chery

Comment

I don't bother with pre-season games anymore, impossible to read anything into them. We have had some good results and shocking seasons but also poor pre-season results and good seasons. Last ones I bothered with were the tour of Sweden and Pompey away in the early '90's.

Comment

I wasn't able to watch the match, does anyone know the details of the Petrasso injury? It will be a shame if he misses much time because this is his chance to establish himself as an option on the wing!
                        @gatorTFC

Comment

On a side note what a nightmare it was to get to the game this could not have been played in a more out of the way place with poor travel links if they tried.
                          Two years on the spin now..not bothering next year.

Comment

Working...
                          X