Mayday Mayday !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
    Sorry could you explain what you are talking about. Margaret Thatcher got us a rebate from Europe (although we were still paying an enormous amount). What does this have to do with India. [B][B] I know that the people from India and Pakistan lost out when we joined the EU, because it was more difficult for them to live in the U.K. and they were no longer allowed to have British passports. Is that what you are referring to?
    Yes it was, I think they were treated harshly. But that how you look at it as a foreigner, I suppose......
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
      Sorry could you explain what you are talking about. Margaret Thatcher got us a rebate from Europe (although we were still paying an enormous amount). What does this have to do with India. I know that the people from India and Pakistan lost out when we joined the EU, because it was more difficult for them to live in the U.K. and they were no longer allowed to have British passports. Is that what you are referring to?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was, I think they were treated harshly. But that how you look at it as a foreigner, I suppose......
      That was the deal when we joined the common market.

Comment

That was the deal when we joined the common market.
        Sure, it could have been negotiated?
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

Sure, it could have been negotiated?
          No it was part of the rules when we joined the EU. This was not only India, but also Australia, New Zealand and other commonwealth countries. When we voted in 1975 we were told that nothing would change regarding this, but it did. Also we had special trade relations with places like Australia and New Zealand and after two years we had to drop all of these special relations. This is one of the reasons I voted Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
            Certainly looks like it. I find it beyond hypocritical that May asserted Brown had no mandate to govern when he replaced Blair. How come this is different, Theresa? It's not. There should be a general election.
            Interestingly Hubs, we have had 24 changes of prime minister during the last 100 years and only 12 took up office after a general election.

Comment

Er, no they didn't, to both. And May is still a hypocrite. I take your point about stability though.
              Think you are probably right Hubs that people didn't quite realize the after effect but in reality as soon as we voted out he had to resign. Different debate, but this is what i kept banging the drum about people not actually knowing what they were voting for in the EU REF.

Comment

No it was part of the rules when we joined the EU. This was not only India, but also Australia, New Zealand and other commonwealth countries. When we voted in 1975 we were told that nothing would change regarding this, but it did. Also we had special trade relations with places like Australia and New Zealand and after two years we had to drop all of these special relations. This is one of the reasons I voted Brexit.
                Ok thanks for your information. I believe Harold Wilson would have voted the same as you..
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Do you only spend part of the year in fla then ?
                  "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                  London Pride is a flower that's free.
                  London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                  And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post

Do you only spend part of the year in fla then ?
                    Yes why?

Comment

Yes why?
                      Only as you said you was voting here.
                      "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                      London Pride is a flower that's free.
                      London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                      And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post

Only as you said you was voting here.
                        We spend the winter in Florida. I vote in the U.K.

Comment

Massive cabinet reshuffle, some shocking appointments - Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary? Is May havin' a laugh??! That is completely bizarre. I'd love to know her reasoning, but it doesn't look competent from here, at all. David Davies as Brexit secretary is much better, he's one of the decent Tories (IMO). Glad to see the back of that slimy #### Osborne and that twit Nicky Morgan. The slithy Gove has also got the boot.

Comment

I have to say her speech yesterday was amazing. Her CV is also very impressive.... Strict when it comes to immigration matters also.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

I have to say her speech yesterday was amazing. Her CV is also very impressive.... Strict when it comes to immigration matters also.
                              Her speech was (mainly) excellent. But when have you known a politician to actually do what they say? Ever?

Comment

Massive cabinet reshuffle, some shocking appointments - Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary? Is May havin' a laugh??! That is completely bizarre. I'd love to know her reasoning, but it doesn't look competent from here, at all. David Davies as Brexit secretary is much better, he's one of the decent Tories (IMO). Glad to see the back of that slimy #### Osborne and that twit Nicky Morgan. The slithy Gove has also got the boot.
                                Some of the things Osborne did worked well for us personally. Getting rid of annuities was a great idea (although most seniors have not gone out and bought Mercedes). Increasing the amount you can put in an ISA. Allowing a certain amount of tax free dividends and tax free interest, getting rid of the 10% dividend which non tax payers could not reclaim. Savers had been losing out for a long time since you can get 0 interest on savings.

Comment

Working...
                                X