Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you pick players for a system, or pick a system for the players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you pick players for a system, or pick a system for the players?

For England?
    Pick players for a system
    66.67%
    Pick a system for the players
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

It's not black and white like that.

Comment

I think you pick a system as a manager, then put players that you either want / need to do the job based on that system. Our most successful teams have been full of players that came together to play well as a group. Not just because you found a way to implement all the stars.

Comment

Always a system and pick the players to.fit the best system to beat whoever you may be playing. Our best case example was Scholes Lampard and Gerrard, when at least one of those should have been left on the bench so we had a team rather than a collection of our best players.

Comment

If you get a Ronaldo or a Messi come along, then fit the team around them. Fact is we havnt had one of these type of players since Gazza. Have to get the system right and if you end up starting a player who isnt as good as someone sitting on the bench, but they fit the system, then so be it.

Germany pi$$ed around with that this tournament by trying to fit Gotze in, but have gone back to Gomez as it fits their system better.

Comment

Pick a system or style of play and get appropriate players in.

The FA are more concerned with having a team full of 'stars' than a good footballing side. No other country does this. Hodgson is just a symptom of the FA's failures.

Why the #### was Wilshere playing as deep lying playmaker ahead of Carrick? Why was Rooney in midfield?? Why did we play 433 with 3 no. 9s on the pitch?

Comment

last nite cried out for an andy carroll type , it was obvious after 10 mins that iceland were going to defend all nite . everything we threw at them didn't work . i would have loved to have seen how they wld have got on against a carroll in the air . systems need to be changed at times and we were just one dimensional

Comment

It depends if it is at club level or the national team. If its a club, you adopt and play a system and bring the right players to fit in it. If it is the national team, its the players you have at your disposal and you have to play a system that fits the players. There no arguing about this.

Comment

that was the poser when Glen Hoddle was playing, the reason one of the most talented English players ever, still managed only 50 caps
                  I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                  This morning's tempest I have to cross
                  I must be guided without a stumble
                  Into the arms I love the most

Comment

stick to same formation, play players in their club positions.

Comment

Originally posted by FACTS View Post
                      Pick a system or style of play and get appropriate players in.

The FA are more concerned with having a team full of 'stars' than a good footballing side. No other country does this. Hodgson is just a symptom of the FA's failures.

Why the #### was Wilshere playing as deep lying playmaker ahead of Carrick? Why was Rooney in midfield?? Why did we play 433 with 3 no. 9s on the pitch?
                      This exactly. Formation was never going to work right. I said it on another thread, but he seemed intent on playing wingers, but only bought one actual winger to the tournament.

Comment

Working...
                      X