End Of Euros Report: England Player Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Of Euros Report: England Player Ratings

These are my thoughts on how our Players got on at the Euros. Feel free to add your own input.

Hart - confidence is shot. Wonder how much the talk of Pep wanting a new GK has affected him. Easily his worst tournament, and surely his last as guaranteed number one.

Forster/Heaton - Neither featured = No rating

Walker - Ok going forward but reminds me of Glen Johnson when it comes to the defending side of his game. At fault for the Iceland equaliser.

Clyne - Did ok in the one game he featured in

Cahill/Smalling - Not as bad a pairing as many feared they would be. Smalling a bit shaky at times, but on the whole they did ok.

Rose - Similar to Walker in that he is good going forward but question marks over defending. Thought he did well to link up with those ahead of him and gave his all.

Bertrand - Poor outing against the slovaks

Dier - Solid enough. Great moment with the free kick.

Rooney - excellent in first two games, but seemed off the pace when brought on against the slovaks and back to his worst against Iceland. Converted the penalty so cant have any complaints there, but disappointing night when we needed him to step up. Possibly his last tournament.

Wilshere - well off the pace, although did show moments of attacking drive. Really needs a run of games for club if he is gonna be the man for us to rely on.

Alli - Disappointing. Went into this tournament with a lot of hype but did nothing to justify it. Maybe not suited to the role or system. Either way, the new man needs to get the best out of him if we are to progress.

Henderson - awful set pieces aside, i thought did ok against the slovaks and im far from his biggest fan.

Milner - his cameo appearance will be best remembered for Roy attempting to shut up shop only for us to concede as expected.

Sterling - bright in spells against the russians, but awful against the welsh. Rightly dropped for the last group game but oddly recalled for the knockout tie. However, thought he did well tonight.

Lallana - Very decent in the group stage. Unfortunate to pick up injury and feel we missed him tonight.

Sturridge - very hit and miss. Great moment against the welsh and set up one or two chances, but at other times extremely greedy, trying too much himself or making the wrong decision. Not helped by being plonked on the wing.

Kane - utter shambles of a tournament for this man. The biggest disappointment for me. Looked knackered. That free kick towards the end of tonights game summed up his time in france. Question marks over his ability at international level.

Vardy - never really got going despite the goal against wales. Bizarre decision not to bring him on against Russia.

Rashford - two very good substitute appearances. One of the few positives to take from this tournament.

Hart - not a top goalkeeper. Always has a mistake in him. Forster deserves a shot imo.

Walker - massively overrated and a complete liability defensively. Got loads of praise for bombing forward against teams that don't try and attack but has no end product, I'd love to see the success rate of his crosses. Clyne is better.

Rose - same as Walker. Bertrand is better.

Dier - did well, especially considering he's just broken into the team.

Alli - a decent showing. a lot of what he tried didn't come off but you can see wants to make things happen and was held back by some of those around him imo, especially our forwards' lack of movement.

Henderson - rubbish

Sterling - Expectations for Sterling are WAY too high right now, he's young and you can't expect too much. Wasn't as bad as the media made out.

Lallana - Our best player imo. Intelligent and creative, it's a shame his shooting isn't saying much but can't criticise him tbh.

Vardy - Apart from that goal against Wales he didn't do too much. He is best running into space, and every team we played opted to sit back sadly.

Sturridge -Our most talented forward, should have been starting every match.

Kane - looks shattered after playing for the u21s last year and being Spurs' only striker. But why is this mug taking corners and free kicks? It actually worries me, I can see him growing into Rooney 2.0 and achieving personal success at the expense of the team.

Rashford - looks good. Should have got more game time.

Rooney - hopefully this guy ####s off once and for all. Absolutely awful in every match, regardless of what the media say. Really holds the team back. Terrible decision making. Wayward passing. Zero creativity. Poor set pieces. Greedy. Poor leader. Complete ####.

Comment

Agree with most of the 2 above, only would say that Rooney wasn't that bad in the group games but was woeful last night. Lallana I felt played very well and should have played yesterday (unless he was injured)! Vardy and Rashford should of had more time on the pitch. Hart needs to forget his own hype and get back to basics, I bet he doesn't play in many Citeh games next season. Forget Head and Shoulder Joe and do some Anchor butter ads, it will give you an excuse when the ball don't stick to your hands.
      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

A goalkeeper can only anticipate where the shot is going after the shooter decides where he's aiming it. Yes I know it's the bl.oody obvious, but then the goalkeeper has only a split second to react with instinct or speed to get to it. You cannot spring to the floor, you can only drop by gravity.

Sometimes the GK can't get anywhere quick enough because of the pace of the ball. The ball speed is faster now. But that doesn't matter at the time because he's the scapegoat. There has to be one for every goal, that's the mentality.

Hoddle and Shearer are idiot commentator like most of them with their comments on scapegoat goals, and shot misses. 'Should have scored this, should have scored that'. Most obvious stupid comments are when the player cannot physically get above a cross that's just one or two inches too high, but they get just the faintest touch, and oh an that's a bad miss!

Take this nonsense from Martin Keown in the same breath on the Portugal Hungary game after the first goal.

'He should have saved that. He was beaten by the pace of the shot'.

Comment

Hart, I think he is a flash prat. He not as good as he thinks he is. Two mistakes in 4 games is not good. His distribution is terrible as well.

Cahill and Smalling, can't complain about these two. The four games we played we were never really threatened, would like to see how many chances the opposition had over them games.

Rose, walker, played well the first two games. Got down the wings, crossed the ball but Hodgson manages to nullify them last night by playing Sturridge and Sterling.

Dier, rubbished him before the tournament. He was very good. One of the positives out of the shambles.

Llanana, thought he was our best player. Positive, creative, hard working. So hodgson drops him.

Alli, massive disappointment. He was shocking. I expected a lot more from him.

Henderson and Milner, shocking.

Kane, horrific, even more disappointing than Alli.

Sterling, how he was allowed to get a start yesterday was beyond me, I scratch my head and wonder if management and professional footballers see the same things as we see, because he was awful before yesterday??

Sturridge, scored important goal against Wales, done nothing else. Disappointing. He's not a winger. Upfront or on the bench.

Vardy, don't think England play his game but he tried.

Rooney, our captain, Had a great game against mighty Russia. Did well against the Welsh. But showed us all last night his is not cut out for it. Think it's time he jacked it in with Hodgson.
          C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

If the decision to drop Lallana was not determined by an injury, then it is an absolute disgrace. I didn't catch any of the build up yesterday, so just assumed that was the reason.

Comment

Hart - Personally think he is a very good keeper and certainly our number 1, however, 2 very poor goals conceded from him maybe needs dropping if for no more than to give him a kick up the ####.

Cahill and Smalling
              - Not really threatened too much and done OK, however they don't fill me with great confidence, I think against a decent side they would be found out. The best pairing we have as a nation though so not too much we can do about it (other than draft Stones in).

Rose & Walker - 2 of our better players. Going forward, both pretty good, but I am not convinced by Walker, defensively. Very poor from him yesterday for their 1st goal.

Dier Arguably our best performer, impressed me.

Llanana Along with Dier, our best player IMO. Harsh for him to be dropped last night. Doesn't quite have that killer instinct in and around the box, but I like him, technically a very good player & puts a real shift in.

Alli - Disappointed me. I think he is a fantastic player, but he didn't turn up for the tournament at all.

Henderson and Milner - Hardly any game time, but both poor when they played. Not having Henderson at all, does nothing for me.

Kane - Same as Alli. Kane was dreadful this tournament.

Sterling - So poor. The lad is in danger of ruining his career IMO. Very poor season for club and now an even worse tournament for country. He doesn't score, runs into defenders and struggles to beat his man! Very frustrating player to watch.

Sturridge - vital goal vs Wales but didn't do much else, very disappointing. Also agree with upperloft in that he's not a winger. Upfront or on the bench (the latter for me). I find he slows the play down so much when the ball reaches him, he will stop it, face a defender up and try and do multiple unnecessary step overs rather than being more direct.

Vardy - Was a massive bandwagon with Vardy before this tournament, I've personally said all along he shouldn't start for England. The bloke is, technically, limited and his game is based upon getting in behind defenses which works very well for him. However playing for England requires a bit more, especially when we are playing so called "lesser nations" who set up playing very very deep and don't allow the long balls to get in behind.

Rooney - One of the few positives for me. Playing that CM role he looked a new man, suited to it very well (so long as he is alongside somebody with bundles of energy). His passing was generally superb and, IMO, in the top 3 players for us at this tournament (behind Dier & Lallana). People love to hate on Rooney but (forgetting the 2nd half of last night, even though it is easy to just remember that) I think he proved again that he is our best player.

All in all, typical England and reinforces why I don't have any time for the national side. Roll on August when the proper football starts back up.
              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Hart - too full of himself. He's been our best and a club number 1 from a young age and I almost think he feels untouchable. Clearly lacks focus at times which is a cardinal sin for a keeper. He needs to be dropped for Forster. Give him a run and Hart the proverbial kick up the #### needed.

Smalling / Cahill - They make me nervous, especially Smalling on the ball as never looks like he wants it. That said, they both performed as they were expected to and did fine. No fault on them imo as they did their job consistently well.

Walker / Rose - Decent going forward, but #### me Walker for their goal last night just showed how #### he can be defensively. Utterly useless. He had one thing to do and actually watched the bloke run off him and just ignored it. It's not even as if the bloke lost him with movement. Unforgiveable.

Clyne / Bertrand - Clyne was excellent when he played, Bertrand anonymous. Again both questionable defensively.

Dier - I thought he was good. He does his job responsibly and well. Has discipline to sit and drop back as a 3rd defender when to allow the FB's to bomb on.

Alli - Overhyped and unjustified as of yet. Did nothing of any note, but didn't do anything particularly bad either. Just run of the mill and at this level you need something else, especially from your "creative players".

Rooney - Bar the 2nd half against Iceland he did the job asked of him very well. Dictated play and pulled the strings. People want to #### him off and blame him if we fail which is ridiculous. He was asked to play that way, which is obvious. Switch play bringing in the FB's etc. He played disciplined and deeper which imo worked against us as we lost his cutting edge and goal threat.

Sterling - Utter #### all tournament. The most overated player in England. He can't use his Left foot.... plays on the left and any time he actually did beat or get played in behind his man instead of being able to cross quickly with his left, he cut back on his right every single time and it was so obvious they just stuck a foot out every time and won the ball. Pathetic. Also he can't shoot for #### either. Awful, awful, awful. Had to be dropped and should never have been recalled.

Lallana - Arguable our best player and was very good in the group. I knew he was a clever player with nice little final balls and vision, but I was surprised how much energy and tenacity he had also. Maybe that is the Klopp effect. He put in 110% and played well apart from his shooting which is always his failing. Overall though did well and why the hell was he dropped... I haven't heard of any injury so assume he was dropped.

Kane - shambolic tournament. Plays as a target man but didn't put himself about at all. No defenders who marked him even felt like they'd been in a game. Minimal effort, no quality whatsoever. Rigfhtfully dropped and stupidlyu recalled.

Sturridge - Been very poor imo. Yes scored against Wales but did nothing in other game time. Looked slow and lethargic, no energy or pace injected into the game when he had the ball. Tendancy to shoot from anywhere and normally very badly.

Vardy - Got a goal but did little else.

Wiltshire - clearly not back to full fitness after a season out. Very good player but it wasn't happening for him in the main. At least he was trying to inject some quick forward movement into things when he got the ball but not helped by minimal movement around him.

Henderson - did ok in the game he played. Never going to be spectacular but not expected to. Did his job and we dominated that game. Put a cracking ball through to Vardy who fluffed his lines one on one.

Milner - poor cameo and contributed to Russia equalising first by slipping when attacking and then letting the crosss come in. Say no more.

Rashford - Looked excellent in both cameos he played. Certainly did more in that limited time than most of the others in multiple games.

Manager decision.....

Plan A didn't work, so lets revert back to Plan A...only difference he drops our best player in Lallana. Absurd.

Insistence in Sterling and Kane when utterly useless.

Taking off Rooney against Russia when best player on the pitch, we then concede the win

6 changes against Slovakia when we just needed to win to win the group and secure easier passage. Ludicrous management and failed abysmally. After that game on the Monday they wouldn't have played again until Saturday so why did they need "resting"!! ####!

Last night crying out for a goal so he waits unitl the 90 minutes are practically up to bring on Rashford.... what the #### is he supposed to do in 3 minutes! Regardless, in those minutes he did more than Sterling and Sturridge put together.

Forward management. AS per above, needing a goal and we have Kane completely out of it never going to score in a million years and Sturridge who was crap also, yet he persists in them up front and leaves Rooney in midfield or subs him. Take one of them off and move Rooney forward. It's as if Hodgson had him earmarked as a midifielder and can't engage his brain to deviate from that. He's out highest ever goalscorer FFS, has played well in the tournament overall so put him forward and bring on someone like Berkley behind. Would be far more effective than leaving Kane and Sturridge on.

General substitutions and team selection were mind boggling. Milner v Russis basically saying we'll sit back and you try to score... they did. Why did Ross Berkley never get any gametime when been decent in an England shirt. How on earth was Sterling recalled last night..!! Not the time to try and give a player with zero confidence a pick me up by showing faith. He should've have played another minute let alone started. Pathetic. Whay was Lallana not playing last night....??

Overall a ####ing abortion of a tournament. Looked potentially decent at first with a high paced first half against Russia creating chances but players who can't finish in key attacking positions such as Sterling and Lallana missing chances. Then half time came, Roy had his say and the 2nd half was completely awful...says a lot.
                Last edited by Del; 28-06-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                  If the decision to drop Lallana was not determined by an injury, then it is an absolute disgrace. I didn't catch any of the build up yesterday, so just assumed that was the reason.
                  Pretty sure he was injured.

Comment

Based on opta stats Rooney got an 8 for last night. A f*****g 8. I like to know what stats were used to come to that ridiculous conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRHoop View Post
                      Based on opta stats Rooney got an 8 for last night. A f*****g 8. I like to know what stats were used to come to that ridiculous conclusion.
                      First half he played very well. Second half his passing become awful, not sure what he drank at HT!
                      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRHoop View Post
                        His whoscored rating was a very average 6.9. Decent enough passing but didn't really do too much else. Seemed to be on the route to a better score in the first half and then lost his way.
                        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

If we're all happy with Cahill and Smalling as Centre Backs we may as well not turn up for any other tournaments. Absolutely nowhere anywhere near International Level, Cahill can't even kick a ball properly. Embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                            If we're all happy with Cahill and Smalling as Centre Backs we may as well not turn up for any other tournaments. Absolutely nowhere anywhere near International Level, Cahill can't even kick a ball properly. Embarrassing.
                            Who else is there, besides Stones?

Comment

Hart - Would drop him now and give Forster a run. Cost us goals when it mattered and im tired of seeing him clip i to the wings straight out of play. Needs a kick up the a$$ as hes had it too comfortable for a while now.

Cahill and Smalling - Considering they were made out to be our weak link before, thought they both done very well. Only problem i can see with them is they are quite poor on the ball. Saw Iceland press high and not allow easy passes into midfield which forced these two to try and find trickier passes, which they arnt really capable of. Hopefully Stones starts to step up and he can come in for Cahil,

Rose & Walker - 2 of our better players. Going forward, both very good. Walker has got tendancy to switch off defensively and his pace normally gets him out of the sh!t, will improve with time. Wouldnt change either of them.

Dier Will see the best of him when we are forced to defend. Not convinced he has the passing ability required for that role for England considering he will see a lot of ball.

Llanana
                              - Personally dont get the fuss. Yes he wins the ball back high up the pitch, but for a number 10, or forward wide man, he dont score or assist. Squad player for me. Ned people who contribute towards goals.

Alli - Was playing league 1 football season before last, so come a long way in a short amount of time. Will grow into a Gerrard / Lampard type hopefully and be around for a long time. Average tournament here.

Henderson and Milner - both sh!t.wouldnt bother taking them again unless they significantly improve. could count on one hand the amount of games they both actually effected during the whole of last season.

Kane - looked well out of his depth. One of the worst tournaments i have seen from one of our players, EVER. perhaps too much football as hasnt had a decent break in a few years. should be around the England scene for a long time.

Sterling - another shocker of a tournament. seems brain dead at times. needs to be played on the right and needs to stay wide. Not technically good enough for this one touch tippy tappy around the area.

Sturridge
                              - Tried to make things happen for England and never shys away from getting the ball. Best position is as a number 9 and shoe-horned into the team. Done alright.

Vardy - Not sure its going to work for him on the England scene as 19 out of 20 games teams are going to sit back and let us have the ball leaving no space, which his game relies on.

Rooney - done well against Russia MOM. Ok against Wales, Poor against Slovakia. From what i saw, its the worst i have ever seen him play against Iceland. Was utterly appalling. Fails to deliver when we need him most and shouldnt be captain. Not good enough in his original position and we seem to just move him further down the pitch when we have better options. had plenty of chances over the years but fails to deliver when it really counts. Would move on from him now

Comment

Working...
                              X