Brexit Impact On English Football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit Impact On English Football?

Not here to discuss the pros and cons of Brexit (that can be continued in the other thread), just its impact on English football.

From what I can gather the following will definitely happen:

- No Under-18 continental player signings into academies

- Less notable continental players will not be able to sign as they won't qualify for a work permit.

There's also the question of whether the FA/Premier League could impose a foreign player limit per team should it wish to do so.

It will also have implications for English/British players moving abroad (not that we currently have many). Bale as an example would fall under the foreign player ruling that the Spanish have for non EU players. If im not mistaken the ruling allows for a maximum of three players.

Won't be any change money talks

Comment

The work permit rules have changed so.it depends on how much you earn. I have to say would the no continental players in academies be bad, surely good if we are bringing thru homegrown English players.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
        Won't be any change money talks
        If the laws do change I am not quite sure why a limited company would want to break immigration laws if a work permit was not possible for a foriegn employee.

The fines for directors are quite high, £20,000 each.

And I also would like to see more home grown talent in our football.
        I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

More running, less passing.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
            If the laws do change I am not quite sure why a limited company would want to break immigration laws if a work permit was not possible for a foriegn employee.

The fines for directors are quite high, £20,000 each.

And I also would like to see more home grown talent in our football.
            Thing is, there's plenty already. England is the only team in these Euros where every player in the squad plays in their nation's league. At the end of the day, the best 23 players every two years only gets better because of the quality brought from the rest of europe and the competition they pose. Limit the entry of European footballers either already of good enough quality or of high potential and you limit the impetus of the really top tier potential English footballers to develop their game and be better than the competition.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Dave Thomas use to run a lot, what a player.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                Thing is, there's plenty already. England is the only team in these Euros where every player in the squad plays in their nation's league. At the end of the day, the best 23 players every two years only gets better because of the quality brought from the rest of europe and the competition they pose. Limit the entry of European footballers either already of good enough quality or of high potential and you limit the impetus of the really top tier potential English footballers to develop their game and be better than the competition.
                The likes of Zola, Berkamp Ronaldo etc should of course be welcomed, and if they can help our youngsters thats great.

Come to think of it, is the Premier attracting the actual top foriegners anymore, they seem to be mainly in Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                  What about 1966? We had all English league?

Comment

What are the criteria for foreign players to obtain a work permit?

Work permits will only be issued to international football players of the highest calibre who will be able to make a significant contribution to the development of the game of football in the United Kingdom at the highest level.

How is it established that the player is an international player of the highest calibre?

In order to establish on an initial application that the player is an international player of the highest calibre the following criteria must be met:

A player must have player for his country in at least 75% of its competitive A team matches of which he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application

The player’s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

See also

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/201...d-by-a-brexit/

Even more important I don't think the Bosman Rule will apply to us any more because this is for EU countries.

Comment

There's a football and 22 men , who gives a f cuk about a foreigner .im sure they won't desert us with 70 grand a week on the table
                      Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

What about that Brazilian we signed few years back. Never really met any of the criteria to get a permit but he got one and never kicked a ball for us

Football is huge and rightly or wrongly is treated differently

If I read rightly the only change leaving could do is do away with Bosman in this country as believe that was EU decision????

Comment

If there are restrictions on signing player's from the EU countries that could only be a good thing it would make it a more level playing field with our financial state would probably benefit us but would have a major effect on the scum and the rest of the so called prem big boys , remember the time we won the league Before Liverpool came in after the season finished to nick it all home country players

Comment

If Bosman was no longer relevant, wouldn't that be a big thing for the club. For example it would have meant that Austin would not have necessarily have left on a free transfer at the end of the season and we might have got more money for him.

Comment

I hope Tony Fernandes will still be able to own a club in England.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Working...
                              X