Messi's free-kick vs USA | Copa America 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messi's free-kick vs USA | Copa America 2016

Have you ever seen a better free-kick than this in your life? Can't say I have.

He breaks the all-time goal-scoring record for Argentina with it too...

Pretty farking remarkable.

Comment

Superb.

Comment

Was fantastic alright but best you've ever seen?

I'd stick Gazza's against Arsenal in the cup semi over that.

Comment

Stan's last minute winner in an epic 5th rd replay against Coventry. They had us on the ropes too
          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
          This morning's tempest I have to cross
          I must be guided without a stumble
          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Bloke is the best ever in my eyes.

His critics seem to use the "he doesn't do it for his country" line, yet he is their all time top goal scorer and has won Player of the Tournament at a World Cup

Incredible player.
            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Payet for West Ham vs Palace last season was better imo. Good free kick though.
              Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
              Pawel Wszolek - 6
              Luke Freeman - 6
              Matt Smith - 6
              Ebere Eze - 4
              Joel Lynch - 3
              Tomer Hemed - 3
              Toni Leistner - 2
              Massimo Luongo- 2
              Angel Rangel - 2
              Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
              Geoff Cameron - 1
              Aramide Oteh - 1
              Jake Bidwell - 1
              Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Good but definitely not best ever. Beckham vs Greece was better, Roberto Carlos against Italy I think was also better. Loads bettwr but still a great free kick and a great player

Comment

Originally posted by uptheR's View Post
                  Beckham vs Greece was better
                  No chance. This FK tops that easily.

Comment

Top free kick but not better than Roberto Carlos against France in La Tournoi.

Comment

Robbie Carlos

Comment

I don't put Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo in the same league as the likes of Messi, Beckham, Zidane etc. RC and Ronaldo basically have a technique, especially in Ronaldo's case, which Bale now uses also, to strike the valve which causes the ball to move differently or unnaturally and confuse keepers, but there's no culture or quality about what they are doing. It is effectively hit and hope hence the majority just slam into the wall or go way off target and their scoring percentage must be shocking, especially given Ronaldo pretty much takes every kick for Madrid. Bale uses that technique too and his two goals in this Euro's were not what I'd call good free kicks even though they went in (and yes I know that's what counts, but you know what I mean). Neither were anywhere near the posts and were ultimately down to keeper error as they didn't even move that much.

The best Free Kick takers, like those mentioned above and many others including Payet recently or Zico and Platini to name some legends, are players that place the ball accurately with real quality and curve, if required, aiming for the corners beyond the keepers reach. That goal Messi scored was a sublime example. Not only was it pinpoint accurate, but more than that he had it up and dropping downwards right in the corner as opposed to going straight into the corner on a lower trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                          I don't put Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo in the same league as the likes of Messi, Beckham, Zidane etc. RC and Ronaldo basically have a technique, especially in Ronaldo's case, which Bale now uses also, to strike the valve which causes the ball to move differently or unnaturally and confuse keepers, but there's no culture or quality about what they are doing. It is effectively hit and hope hence the majority just slam into the wall or go way off target and their scoring percentage must be shocking, especially given Ronaldo pretty much takes every kick for Madrid. Bale uses that technique too and his two goals in this Euro's were not what I'd call good free kicks even though they went in (and yes I know that's what counts, but you know what I mean). Neither were anywhere near the posts and were ultimately down to keeper error as they didn't even move that much.

The best Free Kick takers, like those mentioned above and many others including Payet recently or Zico and Platini to name some legends, are players that place the ball accurately with real quality and curve, if required, aiming for the corners beyond the keepers reach. That goal Messi scored was a sublime example. Not only was it pinpoint accurate, but more than that he had it up and dropping downwards right in the corner as opposed to going straight into the corner on a lower trajectory.
                          Question isn't about who is better it is have you ever seen a better free kick.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                            Question isn't about who is better it is have you ever seen a better free kick.
                            Yeah but the point is, no matter how good RC's in the Tournoi may have been, it was a 1 in 20 effort as his countless wasted FK's testify. With that in mind, I don't rate it as highly personally because it is just hit and hope like most his others. On that occasion it just happened to come off.

Recent similarity was David Luiz who missed endless FK's for Chelsea the other year, never scoring and rarely if ever making the keeper make a save because there was no actual quality about them, just hit and hope, yet in the WC he hit one that happened to find the target and some were lauding him up as a brilliant FK taker. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post

Spot on Del, couldn't have put it better. It's an absolute masterclass in free-kick taking - it has everything: technique (body shape and kicking position) bend, trajectory, power and above all, perfect placement into the top corner. Totally unstoppable.

Comment

Working...
                              X