• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR announce backroom staff changes

Chris Barnes and Jack Sharkey arrive at Loftus Road
    • Strength & Conditioning duo Chris Barnes and Jack Sharkey appointed
    • Carl Serrant has left the club
    • JFH praises positive appointments

QPR boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has made key personnel changes to his backroom staff ahead of the 2016/17 campaign, with two new additions arriving at Loftus Road.

Head of Fitness Carl Serrant has left the club, while Hasselbaink has added Chris Barnes (Performance Enhancement Consultant) and Jack Sharkey (First Team Sports Scientist) to his backroom team.

Hasselbaink told www.qpr.co.uk: “We need to keep improving and moving forward as a football club, both on and off the pitch, and these two additions are another positive step in the right direction for us. I felt we needed to freshen things up a bit by adding a couple of new faces to the strength and conditioning department, so I’m delighted we’ve been able to bring both Chris and Jack in at such a key time as we prepare for the new season.”

Barnes is something of an expert in the sports science field. He has also worked in the football industry since 1997. After almost 12 years with Middlesbrough (1997-2009) as Head of Sport Science, he has worked with West Bromwich Albion for the past six years, from 2010. He also has experience of working with the England rugby league team, Great Britain basketball, and various NFL and NBA sides.

Hasselbaink welcomed his arrival, commenting: “Chris brings a lot of experience to the club, having worked at the very highest level for teams in the Premier League for a number of years. He’s been in roles similar to this one for the last 20 years or so, so that experience will be vital to us. He’s coming in to oversee the department and I’m excited about what he will bring to my staff.”

Sharkey arrives at Loftus Road after four years with Burton Albion, where he acted as Head of Sport Science & Conditioning. The 24-year-old took up the role shortly after completing a master's degree at Loughborough University.

“I worked with Jack at Burton, so I know what he’s all about,” said Hasselbaink. "He’s a young man with great ideas and knowledge and someone who will thrive on working for QPR. He will really aid us in stimulating the squad from a strength and conditioning perspective with John Phillips. We need energetic, hungry people working here and he certainly fits the bill in that respect. I’m delighted to welcome both Jack and Chris to the club and I’m excited about working with them.”

Speaking on the departure of Serrant, who arrived at QPR in 2010 under Neil Warnock, Hasselbaink added: “Carl has been brilliant for me in my short time here. He has served QPR for a number of years and on behalf of everyone at the club, I would like to thank him for his services and wish him well for the future.”

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/20...y-3146783.aspx

Gone are the days of one man with a bucket and sponge. Never seen players hit in the face get up so quickly when the previous player had been hit in the goolies.

Comment

Carl Serrant gone and Karl Henry signing a new one year deal!
      If carlsberg did slow news days...

Comment

Good move by the club,players ain't been fit for the last few seasons, so hopefully that will all change now.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
          slow news days...
          Long overdue overhaul though, so at least good news in that sense Norths, I'm sure you'd agree?

Comment

Originally posted by norfolk ranger View Post
            Good move by the club,players ain't been fit for the last few seasons, so hopefully that will all change now.
            Agree and so happy with this news, hopefully we can make them keep going for the full 90 minutes.

If this works then we could get enough points in the last 10 minutes to give us a chance.

Comment

For me the good news is that JFH is allowed to bring his own people in rather than LF dictating everything.

Comment

first team sports scientist? No idea what that is. Does it involve bunsen burners?

Comment

Good appointments, perhaps this season we will be fit from game one and not game 15. We have let ourselves down for a few seasons now hiding behind poor pre-seasons training
                  I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    Long overdue overhaul though, so at least good news in that sense Norths, I'm sure you'd agree?
                    Absolutely!
                    We've been undercooked for years now, so hopefully a change in those in charge will bring about some positive results.

Comment

I know it's nit picking but Carl Serrant should have gone ages ago.. A few previous managers have moaned about fitness way into the season. Well done board.
                      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Maybe Sandro will last for 90 minutes from now on then.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                          Maybe Sandro will last for 90 minutes from now on then.
                          That's if he ever gets fit.

We were silly to pay over the odds for him, should never have signed him.

Comment

An overdue change imo. However, 'boro during a lean period and Burton aren't exactly top credentials. Fair enough giving the younger guy a shot though.

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post
                              first team sports scientist? No idea what that is. Does it involve bunsen burners?
                              Basically a personal trainer, he will analyse what they eat, and the workouts needed I'd imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X