England v. Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shania View Post
    I did not get why Kane of all your players was picked to take the corners? With his height, he should have been in the box, IMO. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....
    not hindsight Shania, just sheer bloody common sense
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

He was taking them in the friendlies as well, and even then it was clear it was the wrong decision.

Comment

should have made changes earlier, but dont think you can be too harsh on him for trying to defend a lead with 20 minutes to go.

Liked the look of Wilshire when he came on.
        Sterling was Awful, but he does bring much needed pace into the team, so needs to be replaced with pace.
        Might be the only one, but think Kane can put a decent corner in and with Smalling and Cahill, think we may well score a few from corners this tournament.
        Seen every game so far and would only fear Germany. Think we looked better than everyone else who has played.

Comment

Was a very good display but to much onus on Kane to score especially with rooney playing deep. I agree with a poster above who said sterling and lallana don't score enough. What was the point in taking 5 strikers if we are playing 1.

My only change in the starting line up would be sterling out for any of vardy, rashford or sturrdge. Also kane of corners.

Hodgson will mess this up for us if he goes negative with tactics. How vardy or any of our other strikers didn't make it on the pitch is beyond me, especially with sterling not playing well and kane having a off day.

Comment

In all honesty, at the time the substitutions that happened made sense. Wilshere came on and offered the same creativity Rooney did but less defensive cover. Milner was brought on to offer that defensive cover and he's generally a much much better footballer than Lallana (who I didn't think should have started). The issue as has been stated was the lack of a substitution to bring on someone with pace. That's where we lost because then you're expecting and off Harry Kane to hold up the ball, which is useless because the rest of the team is playing even deeper in the second half.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              In all honesty, at the time the substitutions that happened made sense.
              Hmmm.

Before you do anything pre-conceived as a manager, you have to trust the evidence of your own eyes. In this game the outstanding evidence was that Harry Kane was way off it. You can not carry passengers at this level and for whatever reason, he was struggling. We needed a fresh out and this should have happened as soon as the England goal went in - at the latest.

The Wilshere subbing was no problem and he opened them up within minutes of getting on the park.

Milner was a big mistake because as you will have noticed we immediately started dropping deeper. This would have worked if we were rock solid at the back, but in fact the back was always going to be our potential weak spot. Milner was an old skool type of substitiution, trying to shut up shop and defend a one goal advantage is suicidal if you can't really defend in the first place. We needlessly adopted a negative mindset and got punished for it.

Overall I think the team and manager did well, but in hindsight I bet Roy wishes he's handled things differently from the bench.
              Last edited by hal9thou; 13-06-2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                Hmmm.

Before you do anything pre-conceived as a manager, you have to trust the evidence of your own eyes. In this game the outstanding evidence was that Harry Kane was way off it. You can not carry passengers at this level and for whatever reason, he was struggling. We needed a fresh out and this should have happened as soon as the England goal went in - at the latest.

The Wilshere subbing was no problem and he opened them up within minutes of getting on the park.

Milner was a big mistake because as you will have noticed we immediately started dropping deeper. This would have worked if we were rock solid at the back, but in fact the back was always going to be our potential weak spot. Milner was an old skool type of substitiution, trying to shut up shop and defend a one goal advantage is suicidal if you can't really defend in the first place. We needlessly adopted a negative mindset and got punished for it.

Overall I think the team and manager did well, but in hindsight I bet Roy wishes he's handled things differently from the bench.
                So do 60 million others....

Comment

Working...
                X