No announcement yet.

Euro 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 96 was fantastic with moments that will never be forgotten. Gazza's goal, that Holland performance, Pearce's penalty against Spain and the relief driven reaction afterwards that to this day gives me goosebumps when you think about it and what it meant for him, a proper English warrior for so many years, after the suffering he had in the WC semi.

It wasn't all great tho, the Swiss performance average at best, but you can forgive that with the pressure there must have been, the Spain performance was shocking and if I remember they had 2 perfectly legit goals ruled out so we were lucky to get through. Then the semi...yet again against the germans we played well and didn't get what we deserved. That miss by Gazza when he reacted a split second too late, then the pens.... say no more... altho they scored a golden goal that could've stood with other officials but that just added to the tension.

As for this year, I haven't been looking forward to a tournament this much for a long time. The main reason is we have a young, athletic, pacey and hungry squad that haven't been tarred with past failure and aren't being lauded as potential winners. As a result of this there is far less pressure and expectancy so they can hopefully just go and play and perform as they have proven they're capable of. If they get a good start they can build into the tournament and with a bit of luck they could do well. I just hope Roy doesn't revert to form and focus on not letting the other team score... we need to be on the offensive and let teams worry about us. We have a good blend and can hurt teams so play with less fear and impose ourselves.

Comment

They didnt look so young and pacey against ten men Ronaldo less Portugal. Rooney is drinking from the fountain of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
        They didnt look so young and pacey against ten men Ronaldo less Portugal. Rooney is drinking from the fountain of youth.
        Final warm up games are always crap as everyone's more concerned about not getting injured and missing the tournament. As for 10 men, that often makes it harder to break teams down and play a normal pattern as they often put everyone left on the pitch behind the ball and shut up shop.

Besides, it was a poor performance, but at the end of the day they still got the win. Winning games when playing below par is what winners are made of. Before you jump on that, I'm not saying we will win, I'm saying the fact they can grind out results in such performances can only be a good thing at the end of the day. Plus Portugal, Ronaldo or not, are no mugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
          Final warm up games are always crap as everyone's more concerned about not getting injured and missing the tournament. As for 10 men, that often makes it harder to break teams down and play a normal pattern as they often put everyone left on the pitch behind the ball and shut up shop.

Besides, it was a poor performance, but at the end of the day they still got the win. Winning games when playing below par is what winners are made of. Before you jump on that, I'm not saying we will win, I'm saying the fact they can grind out results in such performances can only be a good thing at the end of the day. Plus Portugal, Ronaldo or not, are no mugs.
          I dont fancy us at all Del cos Woy is so clueless. Out the groups is a given cos they have made it so that near on everyone does, then defeat in the first knock out game is my guess. Anything more then I'll be well happy to watch us play more games.

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
            Been to a few tournaments over the years and was deported from Belgium once after bour game with Germany in Charloi and although 96 was the great the best I have been to was in Ukraine with boiling hot weather,fantastci looking girls and really friendly people and its such a shame that the Country now has a dorm of civil war going on especially in Donetsk which was an amazing place
            What you get deported for

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
              What you get deported for
              We got attacked by some Turks in Bruges and when it was all over we were taken to Ostend and put on a ferry home

Comment

I think we've got a chance, and I think dem youth is a massive plus, seen us too many times at summer comps with SFA left in the tank. They just need to go out and express themselves, enjoy.

But the owl has to be brave and no 10 is a huge dilemma for him.

Comment

Very strong rumours with England Fans that Rooney is set to be dropped from the starting line up on Saturday

Comment

havnt really played well in any of these friendly games leading up to it, so i am a bit concerned. if it dont go well against Russia in the opening game, we could be in trouble.

Comment

The squad we have we should be looking at least QF - But with Roy in charge I would not be surprised if we do not even get out the group!

Winners? No chance. Miles behind Europe's elite imo. Hope I am wrong and get reminded of this post however.
                      @chrisrobson9

Comment

Best memory of Euro 96 was sneaking into the Spain game with my mate. Long story but ended up crawling through our dads legs while they handed their tickets over. Not the only match I've jibbed into but definitely the biggest. What a game!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robsondinho View Post
                          The squad we have we should be looking at least QF - But with Roy in charge I would not be surprised if we do not even get out the group!

Winners? No chance. Miles behind Europe's elite imo. Hope I am wrong and get reminded of this post however.
                          I will be reminding you as I think we will be fine. Roy is a v shrewd man and intelligent. I think young managers like you should take note on how he conducts himself a real gentleman. Also all this talk of dropping Rooney is ridiculous Ott nonsense
                          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsey is god View Post
                            havnt really played well in any of these friendly games leading up to it, so i am a bit concerned. if it dont go well against Russia in the opening game, we could be in trouble.
                            We been winning playing bad I will take that

Comment

Originally posted by vanhoop View Post
                              Was the day of England v Holland and I was working on Stonebridge Park estate . The working day was nearly finished when me bleep went telling me a suspected dead tenant need to break through front door. I thought if he's dead I'll do it tomorrow . Anyway had to go and I was cursing, banged and kicked the front door in the hope the old boy would answer and I could slip off and watch the game , no chance so had to start picking a multi lock with shooting bolts. 20 minutes in and I hear from inside alright alright I'm coming.i nearly hit him with the hammer when he opened the door.had to put all back as before . Got back to watch one of our finest displays ever! Did see the old boy 2 days later and apologised he said he was Scottish and I said I eat his meals on wheels that day.
                              I was a fireman over that way then van, remember those doors well. Absolute €unt to get through. When we used to connect up to the dry riser on the ground floor it used to flood the entire block from top to bottom, as some of the soppy tw@ts living there used to vandalise the outlets and leave the valves open on every floor. I did feel for the decent people that lived there, prisoners in their own homes.
                              “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                              Will Danaher

Comment

the day the huns did us on pens is my worst memory as a england fan , was in boozer with my pals it was packed to the rafters and the place was electric , i will never forget that german strutting as he hit the winning pen , u could hear a pin drop everyone just walked out in silence , my pal turned to me and said " lets get hammered" , we did

Comment

Working...
                                X