Muhammad Ali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul McCartney ·
    "Dear Muhammad Ali. I loved that man. He was great from the first day we met him in Miami, and on the numerous occasions when I ran into him over the years. Besides being the greatest boxer, he was a beautiful, gentle man with a great sense of humour who would often pull a pack of cards out of his pocket, no matter how posh the occasion, and do a card trick for you. The world has lost a truly great man. Love Paul"

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
      Inspirational individual. Probably, the greatest sportsman of all time. He was alongside the likes of Elvis and The Beatles in terms of iconic influence. Not many in history will make the kind of mark he made.
      Totally agree ..I was actually thinking who in my lifetime or thereabouts has influenced and in their own way ruled the world as much as Ali... don't believe another sportsperson has been close and by way of iconic influence you would have to go away from Sport for anyone to get near and Beatles and Elvis are great shouts. I would also put in mother Teresa as an iconic modern day figure. Can't think of anyone from film or a politics.
      World now is all about protecting your sponsorship and "identity" rights that no one says what they believe but Ali just didn't care and the way he fought and the generation of boxers he fought against makes him the greatest.

Comment

Ali v Tyson would have been a v interesting match up. Some fight that would've been.

Comment

Very sad Ali was simply the 'greatest'

Yet another high profile leaving us in 2016

RIP CC
          I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            A true legend

Love that. Proper gent and an absolute legend in a day and age when that word is banded about willy nilly. Rip goat there won't be another like him

Comment

​So sad to see those later-in-his-life pictures of Ali. Such a wreck with Parkinson's; lets face it, he "died" years ago. I couldnt bear to see what that cruel disease did to him. Cant help thinking of his passing as a merciful release.

Comment

Without doubt in my opinion the greatest entertainer in the history of sport and from all I have heard over the years a true gentleman and inspiration to millions.

I’ve wrestled with alligators,
                I’ve tussled with a whale.
                I done handcuffed lightning
                And throw thunder in jail.
                You know I’m bad.
                just last week, I murdered a rock,
                Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
                I’m so mean, I make medicine sick

Comment

RIP Muhammad Ali
                  QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

​So sad to see those later-in-his-life pictures of Ali. Such a wreck with Parkinson's; lets face it, he "died" years ago. I couldnt bear to see what that cruel disease did to him. Cant help thinking of his passing as a merciful release.
                    my brother has advanced Parkinson's. Harder to have to witness his decline. Awful disease
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Yeah my thoughts also. It has been a tragedy to see such a great affected over his latter years by Parkinson's.

For me he will never be bettered as a sporting icon for so many reasons. He was to boxing what Pele was to football and yet beyond sport he was also such a huge inspiration and iconic name and figure representing what he believed in and striving to use his status, inspiration and influence to make things better.

The term legend is bandied around almost as freely and unwarranted as international caps in recent times, but there are standout people who truly are rightfully referred to as such.... Ali was one, Pele, Michael Jordan, Ayeton Senna to name a few.... people who not only inspired in their own sport, but sport and life in general for millions.

The biggest tribute for Ali would probably be if you polled thousands of actual sports stars across a multitude of sports as to who was the greatest ever Sports person, then I think without question Ali would be head and shoulders above anyone else when the votes were counted. That says it all. He became bigger than sport and the world has lost a true legend.

RIP

Comment

I do (try) MMA - and I always refer his footwork for inspiration. If you look closely, even during later stages of a bout - it's off the scale.

May he rest in peace.

Comment

He transcended sport and in today's world would still be easily the most recognised person on the planet. I feel sorry for people who never have had the good fortune to have witnessed him box, it was from another planet. He had everything, speed, a punch and a killer jab and of course the Ali shuffle. To go and then lost it all to stand by his belief's only to confound the world by winning it back again...........twice some years later!! Back in those days there was no sky sport or live TV so we had some great nights watching it beamed back live to the west end or Hammersmith Odeon in the early hours and once in fact we watched him batter Richard Dunn at Hammersmith and two rows back sat Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood!! No one hassled them as we were all there to pay homage to the great man..............rest in peace, you were and always will be the Greatest.

Comment

A true sporting icon. A legend.

RIP Champ

Comment

It's actually amazing the press coverage and general all round hysteria this death has caused. Biggest death ever and only equalled by Elvis, John Lennon, Lady Di and Jade Goody in my lifetime, and to think it was so long ago he was a fighter. Shows how good he actually was and how respected as well.

Comment

Greatest boxer of all time, and a genius on the mic as well.
                                RIP Ali.
                                Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                                Pawel Wszolek - 6
                                Luke Freeman - 6
                                Matt Smith - 6
                                Ebere Eze - 4
                                Joel Lynch - 3
                                Tomer Hemed - 3
                                Toni Leistner - 2
                                Massimo Luongo- 2
                                Angel Rangel - 2