Play off new structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play off new structure?

Heard a new idea being discussed for the play offs on Talk Sport this morning and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I quite like the idea of it to be honest!

So the theory is - 3rd and 4th place play a one off game and the winner goes straight to Wembley for the final. They get this privilege because of finishing in their respective positions.

5th and 6th play a 2 leg play off as the normal set up now. However the winner goes on to play the loser of the 3rd vs 4th game in a one off game to play the winner at Wembley to go up to the premier league.

The idea was thought up apparently in relation to what they do in the IPL cricket and it's more fair to the team who finished 3rd. Ie in cases like Brighton who missed out on goal difference they would get a extra life as such to get up or to the final.

What do you guys think?
    Keep them how they are
    74.19%
    New format
    25.81%
    Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 17-05-2016, 11:00 AM.

How about the team finishing third goes straight into the final, fifth and sixth play off over two legs and then the winner plays a one off match away at the fourth teams ground to play at Wembley? I've always thought that there is not enough reward for teams who finish higher!

Comment

In some ways it makes sense, obviously Brighton will feel pretty sick the fact that 1. Sheff Weds are going to Wembley and 2. The fact they finish 6th

Comment

Interesting idea, however for the 5th/6th placed team to play four games might be a bit long-winded.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          Interesting idea, however for the 5th/6th placed team to play four games might be a bit long-winded.
          That's my thoughts. The way it is setup it makes the incentive of finishing in the top 2 everything which leads to more excitement IMO. You shouldn't be rewarded for finishing 3rd IMO as you have missed out on the main prize of top 2, so you should have to fight it out with the other 3 teams equally

Comment

I like them as they are. It's pretty straightforward really and the team finishing 3rd always get 2 advantages anyway, namely playing the supposedly weakest team AND get to play the second leg at home.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
              I like them as they are. It's pretty straightforward really and the team finishing 3rd always get 2 advantages anyway, namely playing the supposedly weakest team AND get to play the second leg at home.
              This. Perfectly fine as it is IMO.
              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                True... IF it aint broke!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                  This. Perfectly fine as it is IMO.
                  I opted for this as well as I think it's fine how it is.

However just thought it was a interesting idea and if you were a Brighton fan right now or if it happened to us you might look more favourably to the new idea!!

Comment

3rd from bottom side should play the 3rd from top side in the league below in a one-off at Wembley.

Comment

Scrap the play-offs entirely.

Over a season the team that finish 3rd should go up, the play offs are just money spinning for the FA.
                      2011-2013, 2 seasons in the Premiership, 76 games, 14 wins........two years of my life I'll never get back!!

2013/2014 mediocrity topped off with a win at Wembley....

2014/2015 was pretty much the same as 2011-2013.....

2015/2016, average at best.....

2016/2017, same old, same old....

2017/2018, aim low, avoid disappointment!

Its the hope that kills you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevster269 View Post
                        Scrap the play-offs entirely.

Over a season the team that finish 3rd should go up, the play offs are just money spinning for the FA.
                        Disagree personally. Over 46 games, the top 2 certainly deserve to go up. But after that a play off is great, the season would be much more dull without them.
                        You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

unless they change it so that the team finishing 12th can somehow still get promoted, then they should leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                            3rd from bottom side should play the 3rd from top side in the league below in a one-off at Wembley.
                            Like the idea and the simplicity of it, but probably rejected out of hand by the PL/FL as not profitable enough.

Comment

No leave it as it is, is very exciting
                              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Working...
                              X