England squad!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
    Gutted for Jagielka. Deserved one more tournament. Losers like Rooney still getting picked, accommodated because no ones got the sack to drop him. Just hope Dele Alli has a good tournament, great player we have there.
    The same Rooney that is national team captain, all time England top goal scorer and was top scorer in our (albeit very poor) qualification group? I know it is fashionable to hate on Rooney but I fail to understand people labeling him the flop and the bloke that doesn't turn up at tournaments. Our whole national team never does ffs, it's not as though we play so well and he is poor is it.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

You got your own opinions. First one, don't think any footballer is owed anything, I just thought as Hodson was talking about loyalty I thought he would be given a go. Everton has had a poor season but picked stones? And Cahill? And smalling?And he has not picked another young CB has he?

Secondly, Rooney has had his chance, he has been poor. He doesn't deserve a chance upfront. And you say out wide and in the middle. That's what I call funny. It's all about opinions, don't try and ridicule people trying to air them.
      Ridicule, don't be so sensitive man.. jheeez, I didnt say anything offensive to you?

Firstly your comment said 'Gutted for Jagielka. Deserved one more tournament.' at what point does this in the slightest indicate anything to do with Roy and his selection process? So yes I did make an fairly honest disagreement at your comment.

Secondly...

- Jagielka is 33 and as it happens managed only 21 games this season.
      - Stone is 21 years old, with a huge career ahead of him and looks the real deal and played 33 games this season for Everton.
      - Smalling is still only 26, played 33 games for United this year and usually captain when Rooney is out. He had a very decent season tbf to him too..
      - Cahill is now 30 and probably the only real case for an argument playing 23 games, but to be fair is better than Jags and likely to be his last tournament.
      - Dier can play CB and RB, need I say more, top season.

Personally, based on all this, I see no need to take Jags.

As for Rooney, no he hasnt really hit the big stage at International level, but he has been massively important to England IMHO. The geezer has netted the record most goals for England, he's our captain and you just never know what he will produce. Fact is, at his current age of 30 and his experience I would 100% take the guy. People can be really funny, the expression 'he is #### / past it' is quite mental really.

Andy Caroll spends his time injured but scores 6-10 goals in a row and becomes a real front runner. Defoe is suddenly again considered a real threat again and better than Wayne Rooney after a few years of the scene?

Rooney can play in several places and for me warrants a place still because of this, I wouldnt start him as I think Vardy and Kane should be a vocal point this Tourney but I still would have him as an option when we need to see games out etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
        The same Rooney that is national team captain, all time England top goal scorer and was top scorer in our (albeit very poor) qualification group? I know it is fashionable to hate on Rooney but I fail to understand people labeling him the flop and the bloke that doesn't turn up at tournaments. Our whole national team never does ffs, it's not as though we play so well and he is poor is it.
        yes that's right, most of goals scored in qualifying and friendlies. Proven that he can't do it in the tournaments. And as for the others that have failed in previous tournaments they shouldn't be picked either. we now have two in form strikers, do you reckon he should be starting infrong of them?
        C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
          I am enjoying your posts today.... Although NO player deserves a place because it could be their last tournament, this exact statement should allow for Rooney to be there.

I also couldnt agree more, for years our squads / top players have flopped. Gerrard and Lamps are the biggest ####ers for that!!!

Comment

I think we're in for a rude awakening. Happens every tournament.

We should play 433 but I don't think Roy has the balls to, he'll change the formation to indulge Rooney. And Rooney is absolute shite these days. He's been crap for 4-5 years but its' beyond a joke now. Will hold the team back as a striker, midfielder and winger. When was the last time he did something in a big game?

It's a travesty that Welbeck is injured. He's been arguably our best player in recent years and makes things happen. Walcott has been poor, but he should be there ahead of Townsend imo. Hodgson has really messed him about .

Carrick should be 100% BE there. We've got a lot of CMs but they're all box to box Duracel bunnies - for an international tournament you need CMs who can sit back and run a game/. I know Roy wants Wilshere to do that but I dunno if he can. Carrick got shown up against Spain but so did our whole side, I really feel for him, he's been treated badly by the national side.

We'll probably play 4231... Kane has to be the no. 9. Alli will be no. 10. Sturridge, Vardy, Sterling, Lallana as the wide men. Rooney will probably weasel in there though.
            Last edited by FACTS; 16-05-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

yes that's right, most of goals scored in qualifying and friendlies. Proven that he can't do it in the tournaments.
              Well, he did do it in one tournament....12 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
                Ridicule, don't be so sensitive man.. jheeez, I didnt say anything offensive to you?

Firstly your comment said 'Gutted for Jagielka. Deserved one more tournament.' at what point does this in the slightest indicate anything to do with Roy and his selection process? So yes I did make an fairly honest disagreement at your comment.

Secondly...

- Jagielka is 33 and as it happens managed only 21 games this season.
                - Stone is 21 years old, with a huge career ahead of him and looks the real deal and played 33 games this season for Everton.
                - Smalling is still only 26, played 33 games for United this year and usually captain when Rooney is out. He had a very decent season tbf to him too..
                - Cahill is now 30 and probably the only real case for an argument playing 23 games, but to be fair is better than Jags and likely to be his last tournament.
                - Dier can play CB and RB, need I say more, top season.

Personally, based on all this, I see no need to take Jags.

As for Rooney, no he hasnt really hit the big stage at International level, but he has been massively important to England IMHO. The geezer has netted the record most goals for England, he's our captain and you just never know what he will produce. Fact is, at his current age of 30 and his experience I would 100% take the guy. People can be really funny, the expression 'he is #### / past it' is quite mental really.

Andy Caroll spends his time injured but scores 6-10 goals in a row and becomes a real front runner. Defoe is suddenly again considered a real threat again and better than Wayne Rooney after a few years of the scene?

Rooney can play in several places and for me warrants a place still because of this, I wouldnt start him as I think Vardy and Kane should be a vocal point this Tourney but I still would have him as an option when we need to see games out etc.
                IMO Hodson should have picked Jageilka, I believe he is better than Cahill. Hodgson said he was going to be loyal to the players that got him to the finals. He deserves a chance.

As for Rooney, you've got you're opinions, I've seen enough of Rooney in the tournaments to decide that he is not up to playing upfront with Vardy or Kane. They are on fire. But then to accommodate him? Who would you drop?
                C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                  Well, he did do it in one tournament....12 years ago.
                  He was good in that tournament. There's was hopes of a new Gazza!!
                  C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

IMO Hodson should have picked Jageilka, I believe he is better than Cahill. Hodgson said he was going to be loyal to the players that got him to the finals. He deserves a chance.

As for Rooney, you've got you're opinions, I've seen enough of Rooney in the tournaments to decide that he is not up to playing upfront with Vardy or Kane. They are on fire. But then to accommodate him? Who would you drop?
                    Jags has played like 5 games since 2015 and I bet you, two of these games he was a sub. The other games he started was against San Marino and Lithuania, which I feel tells a story. During this same period he was also an 'Unused Sub'

And with this Gary Cahill has been starting for England, so therefore there is no loyalty from group stages, he's picked the right people. I think what people was most worried about was loyalty to players like wilshere in actual fact and leaving players at home who HAVE been on form e.g. Drinkwater.

Again, I dont think Rooney should start, although he may if we go 4-3-3, but he should 100% go to the Euros!

Comment

I think we might be the only country in the world who call their all time record goal scorer "sh!t".

Would'nt start with Rooney personally, but to not have him there as an option would be wrong and unjustified.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post
                        Jags has played like 5 games since 2015 and I bet you, two of these games he was a sub. The other games he started was against San Marino and Lithuania, which I feel tells a story. During this same period he was also an 'Unused Sub'

And with this Gary Cahill has been starting for England, so therefore there is no loyalty from group stages, he's picked the right people. I think what people was most worried about was loyalty to players like wilshere in actual fact and leaving players at home who HAVE been on form e.g. Drinkwater.

Again, I dont think Rooney should start, although he may if we go 4-3-3, but he should 100% go to the Euros!

Cool, what's your thoughts on Henderson and Milner?
                        C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Cool, what's your thoughts on Henderson and Milner?
                          Milner is boring......... But, had a great year and offers a lot to our young squad.

Henderson was superb until his injuries, huge shame, future captain.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                            http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...marcus-7979913

What's everyone thoughts on the initial squad for the euros? Who's optimistic and how far do you think we will go now you seen the team?

I can't believe Delph makes the squad over someone like noble. I think it's a joke tbh that hodgson has been so loyal to players like him and Wilshire who haven't played barely any football.

I hope this thread stays in the main forum considering this a post on our national team!!
                            Good point about Delph v Noble but what about Rashford ahead of Defoe?

Comment

As long as Milner doesn't start central midfield or actually start atall i think we have a chance. Alli could be the difference for us this time between usual disappointment and a good tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                                Good point about Delph v Noble but what about Rashford ahead of Defoe?
                                Neither would be going to the Euros and if they did they probably wouldnt play, what with sturridge to come.off the bench, I think Rashford makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X