Ned and his future at QPR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Nass, if possible, please can you provide the stats for how many times Ned has played a backward pass when playing at RB, relative to sideways and forward passes, and in comparison to the other Championship FB's. Thanks.
    would like to see this.

Comment

Nass, if possible, please can you provide the stats for how many times Ned has played a backward pass when playing at RB, relative to sideways and forward passes, and in comparison to the other Championship FB's. Thanks.

And please be honest with the results
      I'm actually more than aware of his issues at right back. Bloke can't cross to save his life haha. I don't think I've seen him play a cross above ground level. While I can't get his overall seasonal result for passes back when playing rb, I can do it on a match by match basis. I'll go with 4 of the 20 matches he's played at rb (would take me way too long to do all of them), but against Birmingham, he played 15 of his 60 passes backwards. Against Sheffield Wednesday, he played 9 of his 32 passes backwards. Against MK Dons, he played 8 of his 26 passes backwards. Against Derby, he played 16 of his 69 backwards. I haven't just chosen his best games either, his average rating in these games was 6.83, his seasonal average at right back was 6.91.

Now, note that these are backwards in general, if we're going to complain, we'd complain about his passes back into the defensive third. For the same matches in the same order his numbers were, 4 in 60, 2 in 32, 5 in 26, 3 in 69. Those are his numbers, when comparing them to the opposite right back in each match, here are the results:

vs Birmingham - opposite RB was Ryan Shotton who played 18 backwards in 58 and 5 of those were back into the defensive third
      @ Sheff Wed - opposite RB was Jack Hunt who played 17 back in 53 and 7 of those were back to the defensive third
      @ MK Dons - opposite RB was George Baldock who played 18 back in 51 and 8 of those were back into the defensive third
      vs Derby - opposite RB was Cyrus Christie who played 19 back in 63 and and 6 of those were back into the defensive third

So there you have the comparison, you can take what you want from it but there's the information.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        I'm actually more than aware of his issues at right back. Bloke can't cross to save his life haha. I don't think I've seen him play a cross above ground level. While I can't get his overall seasonal result for passes back when playing rb, I can do it on a match by match basis. I'll go with 4 of the 20 matches he's played at rb (would take me way too long to do all of them), but against Birmingham, he played 15 of his 60 passes backwards. Against Sheffield Wednesday, he played 9 of his 32 passes backwards. Against MK Dons, he played 8 of his 26 passes backwards. Against Derby, he played 16 of his 69 backwards. I haven't just chosen his best games either, his average rating in these games was 6.83, his seasonal average at right back was 6.91.

Now, note that these are backwards in general, if we're going to complain, we'd complain about his passes back into the defensive third. For the same matches in the same order his numbers were, 4 in 60, 2 in 32, 5 in 26, 3 in 69. Those are his numbers, when comparing them to the opposite right back in each match, here are the results:

vs Birmingham - opposite RB was Ryan Shotton who played 18 backwards in 58 and 5 of those were back into the defensive third
        @ Sheff Wed - opposite RB was Jack Hunt who played 17 back in 53 and 7 of those were back to the defensive third
        @ MK Dons - opposite RB was George Baldock who played 18 back in 51 and 8 of those were back into the defensive third
        vs Derby - opposite RB was Cyrus Christie who played 19 back in 63 and and 6 of those were back into the defensive third

So there you have the comparison, you can take what you want from it but there's the information.
        Thanks for all that Nass. I'm referring more to his forward/sideways passing than his crossing when playing at RB. He seems to lack confidence in his ability to make an incisive pass and so has a tendency to elect the safer option of passing back almost as his default mode. I agree you'll rarely, if ever, see him make a cross as a RB. However usually at least once a game he'll make a surging run into the opposing half often beating 2 or 3 opponents, which suggest he does have good dribbling ability but just lacks the confidence to not do it more often. Saying that, I much prefer seeing him at CB, as playing at RB I think weakens our overall team shape far too much.

Comment

Thanks for all that Nass. I'm referring more to his forward/sideways passing than his crossing when playing at RB. He seems to lack confidence in his ability to make an incisive pass and so has a tendency to elect the safer option of passing back almost as his default mode. I agree you'll rarely, if ever, see him make a cross as a RB. However usually at least once a game he'll make a surging run into the opposing half often beating 2 or 3 opponents, which suggest he does have good dribbling ability but just lacks the confidence to not do it more often. Saying that, I much prefer seeing him at CB, as playing at RB I think weakens our overall team shape far too much.
          Oh absolutely, although mind you, his backwards passing numbers are pretty decent for a right back. I really think he is a much better footballer than people give him credit for. He'd be a good right back if he could cross and when he plays centre back, he's oddly more forward thinking.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Ned for England!

Comment

Can't see why JFH would pick Clint who he knew was on his way at CB and put Ned at RB if he was seeing Ned as his first choice CB. Good player to have as a squad utility defender, but in my view if he's first choice at either CB or RB next season, then we've had a pretty poor time recruiting in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by amusant View Post
                Can't see why JFH would pick Clint who he knew was on his way at CB and put Ned at RB if he was seeing Ned as his first choice CB.
                Just maybe Perch was carrying an injury...

Comment

Working...
                X