QPR v Bristol City **Match Thread**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
    You could have 20% possession and win a game 1-0.
    You'd need to be a damn sight better at the back than we are to concede 80%. You could have 80% possession and win it 4-0.

And Naz, we're exactly halfway down or up the division with a goal difference of 0. What about the games we've lost and conceded possession? Do the means employed justify the end?

The answer to that question depends on the style of football you want to watch.

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    Score that counts.
    As it has when we've been beaten setting up the same way.

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    Leicester just won league can't imagine their possession stats are anything great as they play on the counter attack.
    Difference is they use their share of possession, they have a game plan on the ball.
    Last edited by hal9thou; 08-05-2016, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
      You'd need to be a damn sight better at the back than we are to concede 80%. You could have 80% possession and win it 4-0.

And Naz, we're exactly halfway down or up the division with a goal difference of 0. What about the games we've lost and conceded possession? Do the means employed justify the end?

The answer to that question depends on the style of football you want to watch.
      Actually your point was very simply "we'd be crucified by a decent team if we gave them 58% possession." going on that, you are very mistaken.

You know what I'd love to watch? A game where we win by any means necessary. It's up to the manager the sort of football we play. If you don't like the fact that we aren't a possession based team then that's your thoughts and fair do's, but we won't get crucified playing with less possession, Leicester won a Premier League doing that.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

• Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        Actually your point was very simply "we'd be crucified by a decent team if we gave them 58% possession." going on that, you are very mistaken.
        That depends on how you define decent.

And Leicester (for about the hundredth time) USE their possession to great effect. Arsenal used to do exactly the same when they went unbeaten. You've just said as long as we get a result you don't care how its achieved. I do. That's where we differ. If this conceding possession tactic has been a resounding success I could understand your enthusiasm.
        Last edited by hal9thou; 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM.

Comment

That depends on how you define decent.

And Leicester (for about the hundredth time) USE their possession to great effect. Arsenal used to do exactly the same when they went unbeaten. You've just said as long as we get a result you don't care how its achieved. I do. That's where we differ. If this conceding possession tactic has been a resounding success I could understand your enthusiasm.
          Wait wait wait, are you saying Derby aren't decent? Or are you comparing us to top 8 premier league teams? Because if so, you are looking at the wrong club, we aren't there yet to be compared to them.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Wait wait wait, are you saying Derby aren't decent? Or are you comparing us to top 8 premier league teams? Because if so, you are looking at the wrong club, we aren't there yet to be compared to them.
            Derby have had their moments, they've also failed to turn up from time to time. That's why they may yet again fail to go up.

It may be an age thing. Never mind the top 8, when we were leading the pack in the old Division One we got their by playing football, controlling possession. We really were great to watch, it was an English version of old Dutch (total) football. Fantastic, beautiful.
            Defending then wasn't what it is now, but watch that side on the ball if you can find clips. That was our legacy and our identity.

It's very hard to accept that I'll never see that again.

Comment

Derby have had their moments, they've also failed to turn up from time to time. That's why they may yet again fail to go up.

It may be an age thing. Never mind the top 8, when we were leading the pack in the old Division One we got their by playing football, controlling possession. We really were great to watch, it was an English version of old Dutch (total) football. Fantastic, beautiful.
              Defending then wasn't what it is now, but watch that side on the ball if you can find clips. That was our legacy and our identity.

It's very hard to accept that I'll never see that again.
              Very few teams in world football can play that style successfully, I've studied our history, that team. I know what needs to be known, but you hit the nail on the head with "Defending then wasn't what it is now". Unfortunately, without truly world class players, that style of football will not be achieved with the current level of football. Compare Leicester's football this season to our title challenge season to see everything you need to know about adapting. Leicester, considered by many to play dynamic football are a borefest compared to what we served up, but ultimately with the defences of modern football, those players who can produce near what stan et al did are worth 10s of millions and won't be coming back anytime soon. We should embrace the defensive football, as dull as it may be, if we want to be able to one day afford those attacking talents.

It's not about our identity as a club, it's about the identity of the sport.

Comment

what stan et al did are worth 10s of millions
                Which makes expenditure of 1/4 billion an even more bitter pill to swallow. It would be even more than that without the write off. Your a stats man Naz, HERE are the financial ones. Read it and weep. Great piece though.

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                It's not about our identity as a club, it's about the identity of the sport.
                Top quote.

Comment

Which makes expenditure of 1/4 billion an even more bitter pill to swallow. It would be even more than that without the write off. Your a stats man Naz, HERE are the financial ones. Read it and weep. Great piece though.

Top quote.
                  Won't get many replies on that link pal. Some horrible truths there.
                  C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

• Originally posted by upperloft View Post
                    Won't get many replies on that link pal. Some horrible truths there.
                    That link was posted before and got plenty of replies, we all know the issues of the previous years, but with the new direction the club is headed, it's almost like looking at the financials of a different club.

Comment

That link was posted before and got plenty of replies, we all know the issues of the previous years, but with the new direction the club is headed, it's almost like looking at the financials of a different club.
                      Yeah, fascinating read.
                      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

• Great read and a good insight to how badly this club has been run since the takeover. We are 280 million light so by no means are we a different club financially! Howlong can we afford to be out of the premier league before Mr Fernandes bails out? Reminds me of Rangers Fc when they were taken over by Craig Whyte who gambled the whole club on Champions league qualification, We are gambling on the OOC site going our way!

Comment

Just to clarify in case of confusion - there were two reports, the most recent was published by him a week ago and brings us up to date. That was the one I provided the link to. The bottom line is that the money was available to put together something pretty special, and was squandered on an unprecedented scale.

It may seem like a different club, but the people who blew 0.25b are still running it. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                          X