Cutting edge, clear cut chances and building to be difficult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting edge, clear cut chances and building to be difficult

So the fat lady is gearing up thank fark on a largely uninspiring season.

JFH became known during his tenure at Burton for building a solid, difficult to play against side but one that didn't score loads and the signs are there he is trying to do that with us. We will have a better idea next season when he will have had a summer to move people on and bring others in.

Offensively we struggle to create clear cut chances and are not clinical upfront. The former may be partly because we lack quality upfront to aim for so we overplay a bit at times and you end up with people being crowded out and closed down. I think both Polter and Washington have promise but neither suited to playing upfront on their own and really need someone up top with either of them who has been there, done it and they can learn from. I know others will disagree but for me the main thing BZ brought to the side was his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Polter is a hard working lump but when the ball is played up to him he mainly just loses it. If we are to persist with one up top next season we need someone the ball can stick to which will allow attacking midfielders to come into the game more and further up the pitch.

Realistically we will lose Hoillet and probably Fer and more than likely Phillips. Whilst that will free up some wages I suspect this will result in us being closer to financial fair play but will not free up much for JFH to invest either in transfer fee and wages. That would leave us with Chery, Gladwin, Mackie and Petrasso as our more attack minded midfielders (unless you classify Mackie as a striker). That is pretty weak so will need strengthening there as well as a new striker or two.

Personally am cautiously optimistic for next season. If we can sort out full backs and have three or four decent CBs that is defence sorted. Maybe a winger and couple of strikers and that's about it. Not saying we will get promoted but a sold improvement for me would be top 10 and by end of season be looking like a top 6 side to challenge following season.

Your points are really valid mate.

We massively lack a cutting edge. Washington way of form and Polter is a nuisance but I don't think he will ever be prolific, though I think in a partnership of two up top he'd be pretty useful. We also lack midfielders who can thread a decent through ball acurately. So many of our passes are sideways. It would be nice to get someone who wants to look to pass the ball forward but then I guess we would need a quick nippy striker who could run onto them!!

Comment

good post Foxy. Like you say, we can judge Jimmy and have a clearer picture of where we are with the ins/outs this Summer
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

It's more than that. We lack legs any real pace on the wings and even worse center midfield. Our midfielder can't even jog fast let alone sprint around a pitch so because of that we constantly sit deep just in case people get behind. Sorry to say it both faurlin and Henry need replacing. I want faurlin to stay as a squad filler but he's not the same player. Our wingers also lack the ability to take on anyone so the opposition have no fear. We play one up top because our midfield is NOT mobile so we pack it out with extra midfielder. To be honest can't wait until hoilett and Phillips leave. Better team players out there. For example Craig noone of Cardiff is available on a free so is callum harriot and Jordan cousins and if I'm honest all would improve us!!.

Comment

Good OP.
          I suspect one of the centre backs will be Caulker as I doubt anyone is going to pay anything for him or take him on loan.
          I hope we get to see some of the proceeds of the other sales to spend though. I think that will make or break our season.

Comment

Working...
          X