Which would you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Good point Maids. Burnley are a good example of a team that have yoyoed and yet have always remained a very stable club because they've been run sensibly and prudently. IOW yoyoing can be a fun ride for everyone so long as this vital caveat is in place. Furthermore, the more a club yoyos the more likely it is to ultimately settle down in the prem due to all the financial rewards of prem money and parachute payments.

100% this mate.

Comment

The thing about the question is that it is sort of favouring the yo-yoing thing, which I can see the appeal of and obviously I want us to win every game so naturally promotion is the aim. With that being said, should consolidation and development for 3 years then lead to a consistent premier league outfit (looking at stoke as the ultimate example), I'd take that any day. we bring up the financial benefits of yo yoing but in truth, if we keep going up, getting money and coming back down, we never really invest that money, people will still say that we don't spend enough compared to what we're making and the owners are taking money out of the club. In fact, if we stabilise, 1) the money we spend, as limited as it may be, will make sense and we can actually see the benefits of intelligent buying at this level, 2) if we then go up to the prem and stay there, the benefits are much more consistent and you'll see more consistent prem spending on prem quality or potential players. Once again, in the fairly short term, I point you to Stoke as the sort of team we could look at, watch how they've managed to bring in some really top top players in Shaqiri and Afellay and Bojan etc. Long term we could look at the southampton structure as our youth academy develops. Yo yoing wouldn't really achieve that imo.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

The yoyo thing is tempting. lol.

Comment

I'd rather follow the route of stabilising like Southampton and Stoke have done so that when you do get to the PL you have the right set-up at the club to be able to establish yourself in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
            I'd rather follow the route of stabilising like Southampton and Stoke have done so that when you do get to the PL you have the right set-up at the club to be able to establish yourself in the division.
            Exactly how I view it. The problem with yo-yoing is that you never re-build the identity of the Club. Players tend to leave sinking ships more than stay and go again, managers get a pile of pressure when at the bottom of the Prem and get sacked or walk as a result of the fans dissatisfaction and so it goes on.

When chasing promotion the whole focus is on just that and when fighting relegation every game is too crucial to try anything. Stabilising should be about getting a core of good quality, young hungry players and getting them to develop a style of football that is synonymous with the Club (like Saints) so that new players coming in appreciate how the football should be played and new managers also move seamlessly into the role, again like Saints have done.

So a few years of grooving a playing style with players coached in that way and building on that blueprint is better for me than stripping it all back, changing personnel and football style every time there's a bump in the road.
            #standuptocancer
            #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
              Exactly how I view it. The problem with yo-yoing is that you never re-build the identity of the Club. Players tend to leave sinking ships more than stay and go again, managers get a pile of pressure when at the bottom of the Prem and get sacked or walk as a result of the fans dissatisfaction and so it goes on.

When chasing promotion the whole focus is on just that and when fighting relegation every game is too crucial to try anything. Stabilising should be about getting a core of good quality, young hungry players and getting them to develop a style of football that is synonymous with the Club (like Saints) so that new players coming in appreciate how the football should be played and new managers also move seamlessly into the role, again like Saints have done.

So a few years of grooving a playing style with players coached in that way and building on that blueprint is better for me than stripping it all back, changing personnel and football style every time there's a bump in the road.
              Yep, and stabilise while being involved in the play-offs every season (just to add some excitement).
              Last edited by Shepherds Mush; 29-04-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Option 3 - Promotion, is my choice.

Comment

The problem with yo-yoing is that you never re-build the identity of the Club. Players tend to leave sinking ships more than stay and go again, managers get a pile of pressure when at the bottom of the Prem and get sacked or walk as a result of the fans dissatisfaction and so it goes on.
                  Burnley appear to have managed it so why can't we?

They've kept the core of their team and their manager which is looking like getting them back up again.

I wonder if fans dissatisfaction is the key here. Their fans have stuck with the club and supported the team and the manager despite relegation. Do you think our fans would do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post
                    Burnley appear to have managed it so why can't we?

They've kept the core of their team and their manager which is looking like getting them back up again.

I wonder if fans dissatisfaction is the key here. Their fans have stuck with the club and supported the team and the manager despite relegation. Do you think our fans would do the same?
                    IMO Burnley had an identity before they got promoted, carried on playing the same way in the PL and have continued to do so since relegation. Their playing staff and managerial staff remain pretty constant too. In other words they had structure and foundations in place.

By comparison, since Francis departed in '93 and our relegation from the PL in 93/94 Rangers has been a car crash of managerial appointments and staff turnover (primarily of poor stock) and we lost our playing identity and the foundations crumbled to dust.

Again, IMO, whilst I agree that the current board has a lot to answer for, a lot od what is wrong with our Club now started back then, well before the current incumbents took charge.
                    #standuptocancer
                    #inyourfacecancer

Comment

By comparison, since Francis departed in '93 and our relegation from the PL in 93/94 Rangers has been a car crash of managerial appointments and staff turnover (primarily of poor stock) and we lost our playing identity and the foundations crumbled to dust.
                      That's true Blue, but we kind of had a return to that during the Holloway era, didn't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        That's true Blue, but we kind of had a return to that during the Holloway era, didn't we?
                        I guess we did briefly but the rest of the foundations were still dust behind the scenes and the more recent policy of buying the kind of players we did during the Hughes/Redknapp eras ensured that we have to go back to the basics and start again IMO
                        #standuptocancer
                        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                          If this season is stabilising I'd prefer to stick needles in my eyes.....
                          Too true.
                          Beats me why some think spending 3 seasons in the Championship will result in rebuilding the club for a better long term future.
                          It's more likely to result in a slow deterioation like Charlton.
                          QPR did not get relegated last season because they won promotion at the 1st attempt, but because Redkrapp was disinterested and Fernandes was not willing to sack him in September after the debacle at West Ham or at the latest in mid December.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                            Yo Yo for 3 years please.

Year 1 - Promoted - Deep joy.
                            Year 2 - Relegated with loads of money. But look forward to winning loads again.
                            Year 3 - Promoted again. More money and work on staying there.

Why wouldn't anyone want to get promoted twice in 3 seasons. Surely, we all want to win every game and competition we play in ? Otherwise, why bother .....
                            Absolutely yes I want promotion at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by qprted View Post
                              i dont think you can ask questions like that holloway warnock warburtan these guys would have restotred the passion the les ferdinand reign has been devoid of passion,management is all about getting the players to perform above there normal level its about being almost insane its about being clint hill his legs went three seasons ago but he plays well because his m ind wont accept defeat crap managers like ferdinand ,cris ramsey and jimmy floyde think the answer is to keep buying but as you have seen with conor washington if you buy crap you are in a bit of a pickle theres no way we will ever get above mid table and if we did get into the play offs we would keep losing because fundamentally before jim gregory brought passion to our club we had hardly any success a whole succession of jimmy floydes and ramsey and ferdinads kept us being a crap side for almost a hundred years
                              Ted you have got it absolutely correct.
                              I have not seen anything this season to suggest that QPR will be anythibg more than a run of the mill Championship side as long as Ferdinand and Fernandes keep on appointing managers coaches who lack passion and a will to win matches.
                              warnock would have guided this team to the play offs at least. Just look at what he has done at Rotherham. He has won more matches there than JFH has at QPR.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                                It's hard question to answer.

The financial benefits from a season in the prem would benefit the club massively long term if we did get promoted again. My biggest gripe with QPR when we have gone up is not that we struggle as we are a relatively small team but how we approach staying up. We have thrown money at has beens, split up our promotion winning teams and had no real strategy. In doing so it has made us look a complete joke plus the side effects of those decisions in previous years have seen us go down with a whimper and un prepared for a promotion challenge.

If we went up with a core group of players who we gave a chance to and then added 3 or 4 bits of quality then i'd happily take being a yo yo club. I don't mind that as long as we are competing. I think Burnley are a team who will yo yo up and down and its not a bad ride imo. They have in place a team that competes for promotion in the championship and one that could possibly hold itself in the prem with a bit of luck. However if the worst happens they know if they are relegated they don't have to make whole sale changes and have a very good chance to come back up and try again in the premiership the season afterwards.

As fans we need to be realistic and I think with the owners and at this point in our history we are a top, powerful championship team and should be competing around the top 6 mark. We also have the capabilities to be a prem team who can flirt with staying up but because of poor previous management from the top we have had to consolidate this season and rebuild.
                                If we get things right in the summer I expect us to become a yoyo team again who could possibly go on to secure a top flight status when promoted eventually and with a bit of luck.
                                i agree, but that failure has been down to Fernandes sanctioning the signings and his failure to sack Redkrapp when we could all see what lay ahead last September.
                                I would have taken promotion this season (with Warnock) and then appointed a manager capable of keeping the club uo next season and building a squad for the seasons ahead. a Pochettino, Koeman Bilic type of manager.

Comment

Working...
                                X