This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    I recall the initial stated aim of the board being consolidation, hence the signings of Chery, Luongo and Polter et al with a view to develop them at this level this year and watch them thrive at it next year. That's what Les said when JFH was signed up. What then happened changed things, with players like Austin, Sandro, Fer all staying.
    And it was at that point when TF came out and said the aim now is for promotion. So the goalposts definitely changed from consolidation to targeting promotion. Hence the sacking of Ramsey when we didnt shift the high-earners and results still didnt improve.

Comment

For me it was a C-, at the beginning of the season I was hoping for A+ but it could have been so much worse with our direction before Christmas
      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Massive disappointment. I thought we couldn't avoid play-offs with the squad we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          And it was at that point when TF came out and said the aim now is for promotion. So the goalposts definitely changed from consolidation to targeting promotion. Hence the sacking of Ramsey when we didnt shift the high-earners and results still didnt improve.
          Yea I know, I said that mate haha. But what I'm saying is that I'm fairly certain that once JFH made his intentions clear that he was going to get rid of the high earners, the goalposts were moved back to consolidation. Ramsey was sacked because he had the resources, used them and didn't succeed. JFH had the resources, didn't really use them and got rid of them, meaning the remaining resources were lower level and relative to that level, we were successful in consolidation. That's my perspective.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Yea I know, I said that mate haha. But what I'm saying is that I'm fairly certain that once JFH made his intentions clear that he was going to get rid of the high earners, the goalposts were moved back to consolidation. Ramsey was sacked because he had the resources, used them and didn't succeed. JFH had the resources, didn't really use them and got rid of them, meaning the remaining resources were lower level and relative to that level, we were successful in consolidation. That's my perspective.
            I agree with that series of events Nasser. I'm saying that the season has not been a success based on what the board said publicly (and which they never retracted again). If they had stood by the 'consolidation' target they'd set at the start then I would agree it would've been a success.

Comment

Out of interest Nass, what would you regard as "success" next season?

And how many times should the goalposts be repositioned in order for us to conclude that it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                Massive disappointment. I thought we couldn't avoid play-offs with the squad we had.
                Exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                  Out of interest Nass, what would you regard as "success" next season?

And how many times should the goalposts be repositioned in order for us to conclude that it is?
                  Success for next season is down to a few things.

Firstly, the players we signed this season really getting big numbers, goals and assists wise, players like Luongo, Chery, Polter (if he's our main striker of course), Nasser, Washington (if he's our main striker). That will be a really good start to me, irrespective of league position if we have 4 or 5 players contributing consistently.

Next, I'd want to see Kpekawa and at least one other youth team player break into the main rotation consistently.

Position-wise, depending on our signings this summer I'd like us to get at least 8th position but with signs that we have the basis of not only a side built for promotion, but also a side that is capable of getting better and not getting relegated from the prem when we do go up.

I want to see a good defensive record and I want to see at most 2 or 3 man of the match awards to a keeper in addition to plenty of clean sheets and solid defensive performances because when you get into the premier league, you tend to survive more on being a solid defensive outfit and building forwards with that.

Finally, I want LR to become that fortress that it was a few years ago, with solid defensive football but plenty of attacking prowess to keep the fans happy and to get the atmosphere up. I could easily only blame the fans on the terrible atmosphere but if the players can entertain, it gives fans no excuses. So that's what I want.

How many times will the goalposts have to change? I'd say we can truly set league position goalposts once the transfer window is closed.
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

in the close season , expecting to lose Charlie Austin ,Chery ,Green etc i hoped for a mid table position ,but playing attractive football ,with a view on challenging the season after . As we kept everyone , then ,I expected a nailed on play off place , though things then were never going to work out with Ramsey . This wasn`t achieved , JFH was brought in , i then hoped for mid table ,attractive football with a view of challenging next season .
                    The fact that we are still hit and miss on results , the football has been far from attractive all season ( baring the very odd moment ) and in all honesty i cant see us challenging next season ( though things are gradually improving ,which is good ) , this season has not been a success inmo
                    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

No.

Comment

Success for next season is down to a few things.

Firstly, the players we signed this season really getting big numbers, goals and assists wise, players like Luongo, Chery, Polter (if he's our main striker of course), Nasser, Washington (if he's our main striker). That will be a really good start to me, irrespective of league position if we have 4 or 5 players contributing consistently.

Next, I'd want to see Kpekawa and at least one other youth team player break into the main rotation consistently.

Position-wise, depending on our signings this summer I'd like us to get at least 8th position but with signs that we have the basis of not only a side built for promotion, but also a side that is capable of getting better and not getting relegated from the prem when we do go up.

I want to see a good defensive record and I want to see at most 2 or 3 man of the match awards to a keeper in addition to plenty of clean sheets and solid defensive performances because when you get into the premier league, you tend to survive more on being a solid defensive outfit and building forwards with that.

Finally, I want LR to become that fortress that it was a few years ago, with solid defensive football but plenty of attacking prowess to keep the fans happy and to get the atmosphere up. I could easily only blame the fans on the terrible atmosphere but if the players can entertain, it gives fans no excuses. So that's what I want.

How many times will the goalposts have to change? I'd say we can truly set league position goalposts once the transfer window is closed.
                        Have to agree with a lot of that mate.

Personally, I would realistically think that being in the top 6 all season and a play off spot guaranteed would represent progress and therefore could be seen as being a reasonably successful season.

Where we differ is that you are already thinking that things are "depending on the summer". My view is that we should stop messing around during the summer as we have been for years, get a settled squad together by the end of June at the latest, have a proper pre-season and things will turn out OK. Failure to do business early, keeping poor players and not improving the squad considerably will be reasons for failure. In other words, we need to do several things right for it to be a success. Not having any of the usual "Oh, but we didn't get a centre back" type excuses. Failure is a by-product of not doing the basics correctly. Hence, we have been failing for a while now.

Comment

According to les and the board, he stated two months ago that top 10 this season was the aim.

So going by that logic they would/should see this as a failure, that is if their thinking is consistent.

As for myself, with ramsey in charge, i said relegation. with hasslebaink, i said bottom 8.

So for me personally, anything better than that i regard as a positive.

Just not happy at all with our style of play at all.
                          nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Mixed feelings on this one tbh. Not a success for obvious reasons- Ramsey, we shouldve at very least made play offs with our players... But at the same time cant help feel we're going in the right direction under jfh. Knows exactly what he wants and I agree. (Bring youth in to develop/will not allow this club to be a last pay cheque club etc). Basically every thing he wants is to do with the future of the club. And not rushing in to be in the prem.

So overall as a season as a whole, it probably wasnt a success... BUT theres still reason there to be positive imo.
                            SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                              Have to agree with a lot of that mate.

Personally, I would realistically think that being in the top 6 all season and a play off spot guaranteed would represent progress and therefore could be seen as being a reasonably successful season.

Where we differ is that you are already thinking that things are "depending on the summer". My view is that we should stop messing around during the summer as we have been for years, get a settled squad together by the end of June at the latest, have a proper pre-season and things will turn out OK. Failure to do business early, keeping poor players and not improving the squad considerably will be reasons for failure. In other words, we need to do several things right for it to be a success. Not having any of the usual "Oh, but we didn't get a centre back" type excuses. Failure is a by-product of not doing the basics correctly. Hence, we have been failing for a while now.
                              I think I misinterpreted what I meant, I want us to get our summer business done early as well obviously, the earlier the better. But we have to acknowledge that outgoings can happen at anytime and with players like Sandro, Fer, Phillips, etc all still here, we are not likely to see an early summer in terms of outgoings at least. Now, what I hope is that the board buys on the assumption that the ones that don't want to be here, aren't here. That way we have a happy rotation and can leave these guys who don't want to be here to make their way out.

But yea, beyond that, everything you've said, I agree with 100% percent mate.

Comment

No it's been a shambles with the squad Ramsey had playoffs was a must he failed BIG time and Under JFh has been no difference
                                R's

Comment

Working...
                                X