Cole Kpekawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole Kpekawa

At last, a decent look at him in the first team. Apart from sub appearance I can't remember him being anywhere near since Yeovil. Lots to learn but has pace, nice to have a bit of extra height at the back and puts over a nice cross. Do we have the defensive coaching skills to bring out the best in him?

Looked really pacy and up for it. Was actually extremely surprised by how well he did considering this is his first real chance at this level. All credit to him, glad to see him play full back, looks a good dribbler (I remember him nutmegging someone for the assist against Yeovil if I'm not mistaken) and looks absolutely rapid for a 6'3 defender. Honestly, with the right cover, I wouldn't be averse to a back 4 not far from the one we saw today in the coming season, with good rotation for other prospects that we either sign or push from behind like Robinson and Furlong.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Our LB situation looks quite good if we keep Perch too.

Comment

Thought he was shaky but overall decent.

Comment

I think he definitely needs to get much closer to his man. Far too many times he was playing really narrow and didn't close the winger quickly enough.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Really happy for Cole, although I hope this isn't another false dawn like we had with Furlong, who hopefully will get another chance soon, despite it being at a lower level Furlong has done really well out on loan. the defence is a strange one for me one minute we look as though it's a real solid unit and really difficult to get passed then you get games like Brighton, Fulham, etc.. where they are unrecognizable and a shambles. Like everyone hear I have high hopes for Grant Hall

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
              Our LB situation looks quite good if we keep Perch too.
              Agree with that.

If Robinson comes back to full fitness I have no doubt he'll make that position his own. Perch somewhat strangely for a natural right footer, has looked far more comfortable on the left for us so far. I think you've got to assume that Konchesky will go at the end of the season and I believe that Yun is unlikely to be able to continue in English football because of work permit issues. With that in mind Kpekwa might have a big part to play next season.

Right back needs looking at in my opinion. Perch has struggled a bit there, Nedum isn't the answer, beyond that we have Furlong who isn't good enough in my opinion. Personally I think we should be looking for a new first choice right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                Right back needs looking at in my opinion. Perch has struggled a bit there, Nedum isn't the answer, beyond that we have Furlong who isn't good enough in my opinion. Personally I think we should be looking for a new first choice right back.
                I've slated Perch in the first half of the season and agree he struggled, but have to say he is now one of the more consistent performers each week. Take a look at how he covers the CB's....absolutely superb awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                  I've slated Perch in the first half of the season and agree he struggled, but have to say he is now one of the more consistent performers each week. Take a look at how he covers the CB's....absolutely superb awareness.
                  He's really developed his game a lot in the second half of the season. Playing really well in all positions he's asked now and as you said, his positioning is great defensively and he's gotten forward quite a few times as well, especially playing down the left where Hoilett will cover him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                    To be honest he is far better player than he showed in his first 6 months with the club. Curious that he's looked better at left back for us though. As Nasser mentioned, maybe a reflection of the amount of cover he gets from whoever is playing in front of him?

Comment

Everywhere you go....... always take Kpewkwa with you...

Thought he looked nervous to be honest. Would benefit playing next time Clint I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsgate Hoop View Post
                        Everywhere you go....... always take Kpewkwa with you...

Thought he looked nervous to be honest. Would benefit playing next time Clint I think.
                        Hahaha he had better play more so we can sing that.

Comment

The one thing we had to do post Ramsey was stop conceding. Which we did initially (NW) but then it all went to shiteagain. Since then its been variable. First thing you have to do as a guv'nor is close the back door. Under JFH this has been very hit and miss according to selection.

So bearing in mind the LB situation, what would be your ideal defensive set up for us (as a Plan A) and who would you pick, assuming all round fitness?

And who would you pick as a Plan B, ie setting up as a three?

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            The one thing we had to do post Ramsey was stop conceding. Which we did initially (NW) but then it all went to shiteagain. Since then its been variable. First thing you have to do as a guv'nor is close the back door. Under JFH this has been very hit and miss according to selection.

So bearing in mind the LB situation, what would be your ideal defensive set up for us (as a Plan A) and who would you pick, assuming all round fitness?

And who would you pick as a Plan B, ie setting up as a three?
                            Really? JFH has made us a difficult team to score against for sure. We've conceded 28 goals in 25 games but 10 of those came in 3 individual matches and to be honest, those were just squad capitulations. We've overall become a much more solid unit defensively. For me, that's a sign of a solid defensive unit that in 22 games they only concede 18 goals. Obviously those 3 games happened and we can't ignore them but for me that doesn't say that we have a bad defensive record at all or that everything went to "shitagain" once Warnock left. Remember he played 7 or 8 defensive players in those games so it would be disappointing to have done anything but become solid. It certainly isn't hit and miss to me, more that we just had 3 matches where we were defensively poor and overall we've been solid. We've also had fitness issues in defence which didn't help.

As for your second question, it would be Perch, Ned, Hall, Robinson as first choice.

Comment

Working...
                            X