No announcement yet.

How much do we miss Joey Barton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we miss having someone like Barton in the team. By that I mean somebody that battles, works hard and will shout and scream a bit when required.

I am however personally of the belief that Barton was far more trouble than he was worth (especially given what we were paying him). I think Burnley are probably getting a better side of Joey Barton than we had, just purely with the fresh start, a slightly older head on his shouders and the fact he is probably on a contract that the club can stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
      As a player yes one of the top performers for us last season. His contract and way he viewed our squad meant he was never going to stay.

I will never believe we wouldn't have been better of with him in the team this season.
      before this one he has played 2 seasons at this level and won promotion and is now in with a chance of 3 out of 3.
      Look at how much he has contributed to Burnley this season including goals scored or assisted in. A lot more than Luongo or Faulrlin.
      Of course he has been missed. I said at the time that he should have been offered a new deal.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
        before this one he has played 2 seasons at this level and won promotion and is now in with a chance of 3 out of 3.
        Look at how much he has contributed to Burnley this season including goals scored or assisted in. A lot more than Luongo or Faulrlin.
        Of course he has been missed. I said at the time that he should have been offered a new deal.
        well that's just wrong. Each of Faurlin and Luongo have 6 and 5 assists respectively in much fewer matches each. Barton has been involved in 5 goals total, 3 goals and 2 assists.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
          well that's just wrong. Each of Faurlin and Luongo have 6 and 5 assists respectively in much fewer matches each. Barton has been involved in 5 goals total, 3 goals and 2 assists.
          Such a blinding midfield we have. It's why everyone is renewing their season ticket. I have renewed. Tbh Joey won't miss us when he scores the winner Monday putting Burnley- and him- in the premiership.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
            Such a blinding midfield we have. It's why everyone is renewing their season ticket. I have renewed. Tbh Joey won't miss us when he scores the winner Monday putting Burnley- and him- in the premiership.....
            I'm just stating a fact mate.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

As am I.

Comment

I can tell you have never played football at any level and that certainly isn't a pop, it's just stats are irrelevant in rating how good a player is. OK he hasn't been involved in the last pass before a goal but I'd imagine he won the ball and started in. Spoke to one of my suppliers who is a Burnley season ticket holder and he feels Barton can be hard done by not to win player of the season. He thinks he's a very clever player who doesn't react when being targeted. He is the calming influence we have lacked all season. If you want a statement nasso we're 12-1 to beat Burnley on Monday. I am embarrassed by that but just goes to show how far we have fallen behind them
                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                  I can tell you have never played football at any level and that certainly isn't a pop, it's just stats are irrelevant in rating how good a player is. OK he hasn't been involved in the last pass before a goal but I'd imagine he won the ball and started in. Spoke to one of my suppliers who is a Burnley season ticket holder and he feels Barton can be hard done by not to win player of the season. He thinks he's a very clever player who doesn't react when being targeted. He is the calming influence we have lacked all season. If you want a statement nasso we're 12-1 to beat Burnley on Monday. I am embarrassed by that but just goes to show how far we have fallen behind them
                  I think we won't see eye to eye on this, stats are very relevant. Now, I never suggested that Barton wasn't involved in the goals at some point, but so has faurlin, so has luongo. The "fact" brought up by Stan was that he was involved in many more assists and goals than both Faurlin and Luongo, which is incorrect.
                  I've played football for long enough and to a decent enough level to know the sport, don't need to be patronised because I use numbers. You know what Xavi Hernandez did after every single game he played? The first thing he did was check the paper on the dressing room door to see how many first touches of the ball he had. If he had less than 100 in a game, he would rage in the dressing room. You know why? Because at the top level, stats matter.
                  Who cares if someone's played more football than me at a low level of football like Sunday league, unless they've played league 1 football regularly or above, congratulations, their tactical knowledge is no better than mine and given that I've dedicated a lot of time to understanding the sport and watching it, it's probably not as good. Does that invalidate the information they'd offer? no of course not, it's an opinion. You can say "you've never played football at any level" and then say it isn't a pop, but it sort of is and it's an incorrect one to take. Best managers in the world? Generally never played football to a decent level. Benefits of that? They don't have some ludicrous god complex about how their opinion is more valuable because they've been there.

Comment

Maybe the goal stats in assists might be wrong, but not the goaks scored, but more importantly his all round contribution, leadership and promotion record.

Comment

I think we won't see eye to eye on this, stats are very relevant. Now, I never suggested that Barton wasn't involved in the goals at some point, but so has faurlin, so has luongo. The "fact" brought up by Stan was that he was involved in many more assists and goals than both Faurlin and Luongo, which is incorrect.
                      I've played football for long enough and to a decent enough level to know the sport, don't need to be patronised because I use numbers. You know what Xavi Hernandez did after every single game he played? The first thing he did was check the paper on the dressing room door to see how many first touches of the ball he had. If he had less than 100 in a game, he would rage in the dressing room. You know why? Because at the top level, stats matter.

Who cares if someone's played more football than me at a low level of football like Sunday league, unless they've played league 1 football regularly or above, congratulations, their tactical knowledge is no better than mine and given that I've dedicated a lot of time to understanding the sport and watching it, it's probably not as good. Does that invalidate the information they'd offer? no of course not, it's an opinion. You can say "you've never played football at any level" and then say it isn't a pop, but it sort of is and it's an incorrect one to take. Best managers in the world? Generally never played football to a decent level. Benefits of that? They don't have some ludicrous god complex about how their opinion is more valuable because they've been there.
                      Nasser, the main point Iwas making was Bartons promotion record and influence on games. Trust you to just look at the Stats of goal assists.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                        his all round contribution, leadership and promotion record.
                        His promotion record certainly can't be dismissed: Newcastle, QPR, and now it looks like Burnley. Also nominated as POTY for all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                          His promotion record certainly can't be dismissed: Newcastle, QPR, and now it looks like Burnley. Also nominated as POTY for all three.
                          Yeah. Six facts. And some folk bang on about the five Faurlin corners we've scored from this season.

Comment

Joey's at (Glasgow) Rangers training ground ahead of a potential move. Fair play if true...could be playing Champions league football in 2 seasons
                            "When you went to the corner and saw our fans celebrating the way they were you just wanted to be part of it" - Shaun Derry after we beat the scum 1-0

Comment

have to say 5 or 6 assists in a season certainly isnt anything to brag about,pretty poor
                              http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Working...
                              X