Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer activity and credit due or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer activity and credit due or not?

So what's everyones take on the business we conducted in the summer and January now that the season is concluding?

Les and Ramsey implemented a new structure this year and we saw the likes of chery, polter, hall, golbourne, luongo, gladwin, perch and konchesky brought in along with Washington and naseer in January. (I probably have forgotten a couple to.) Has it been a success and are you happy with recruitment process? Have we put the foundations in place to build on the recruitment made this year to add a few more similar signings that will again take us to the next level next season?

Is Ramsey instrumental in our transfer activities going forward and does Les deserve more credit?
    Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 22-04-2016, 12:25 PM.

Half of them have done ok the other half not so much. This unfortunately is the gamble you take with buying lower division players and trying to improve them. Unless we spend big and buy a top quality striker like a Rhodes, Grey, Wells we won't be getting gout of this division for a long time and those that wanted boring mid table mediocrity will probably get it.

At least 60% of teams in the championship think if they can bring in 1 or 2 better players in the summer they can challenge. Villa I think will struggle but the other 2 teams who come down will be strong I think making it even harder next year.

I expect us to finish the same place next season as we will do this to be honest if the days of spending are over.

Comment

delighted with the business in all honesty.

got rid of some deadwood and those we couldnt get decent fees for who were on big money we loaned out, who will hopefully be sold this summer.

Think we have a real good base of young players who are capable of competing at this level and with a bit of added quality in the summer no reason why we couldnt be in and around the play offs.

Was always going to be tough and some fans are always going to be annoyed that we were seemingly letting our best players go and replacing them with players not of the same standard, but needed to be done and think the everyone has done brilliantly if you compare of financials from the last 3-4 years compared to this year.

Comment

rumour is we looking at Juan Villar from the Spanish 2nd tier as replacement for the outbound Hoilett
        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
        This morning's tempest I have to cross
        I must be guided without a stumble
        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
          rumour is we looking at Juan Villar from the Spanish 2nd tier as replacement for the outbound Hoilett
          you know anything about him lyme? i watch a fair bit of spanish football, but no div 2 stuff.

Comment

I still wish that we had kept Dunne for another season!! Letting Barton go has also weakened the team. Should Phillips and Charlie have been sold in the Summer (we would have received more money)?

I think that the players who have been brought in did ok, it is the ones that left that have me confused.

Comment

only what I read on the West London sports page, valued at £!m, so make your own mind up the quality of player at that price
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                only what I read on the West London sports page, valued at £!m, so make your own mind up the quality of player at that price
                27 year old Winger at Valladolid, 13 goals and 7 assists in 32 matches (goal involvement every 128 minutes). Primarily a right winger with a wicked right foot.

Quote from a fan of Valladolid:

Best player this season alongside Álvaro Rubio and Kepa
                Signs are good if this is true. Valued on transfermarkt.co.uk at £600k from Feb 22. Since then he's played 611 minutes, scored 4 goals and 2 assists.
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
                  Half of them have done ok the other half not so much. This unfortunately is the gamble you take with buying lower division players and trying to improve them. Unless we spend big and buy a top quality striker like a Rhodes, Grey, Wells we won't be getting gout of this division for a long time and those that wanted boring mid table mediocrity will probably get it.

At least 60% of teams in the championship think if they can bring in 1 or 2 better players in the summer they can challenge. Villa I think will struggle but the other 2 teams who come down will be strong I think making it even harder next year.

I expect us to finish the same place next season as we will do this to be honest if the days of spending are over.

Who are the half that you thought have played well? And who are the remaining half who have disappointed? Intrigued to hear your opinion!

Comment

Well these players have done OK I think:

Chery
                    Polter (for what he is)
                    Hall (better than OK)
                    Luongo
                    Perch
                    Angella
                    Smithies

These haven't done quite so well

Gladwin
                    Konchesky
                    JET
                    Mackie
                    Toszer

The 2 guys bought in Jan I can't judge until next season.

Comment

Outstanding
                      Hall

Good
                      Chery, Polter, Luongo, Perch, Washington(I think after Washington scores he'll keep scoring, he looks sharp)

Poor
                      Konchesky, Goldbourne, Gladwin, JET

Merh
                      Nasser
                      Under Les Ferdinand:
                      Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                      Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                      Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                      Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                      And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post
                        Well these players have done OK I think:

Chery
                        Polter (for what he is)
                        Hall (better than OK)
                        Luongo
                        Perch
                        Angella
                        Smithies

These haven't done quite so well

Gladwin
                        Konchesky
                        JET
                        Mackie
                        Toszer

The 2 guys bought in Jan I can't judge until next season.
                        Agree with that totally, mind you, I don't see many clubs signing 12+ players in a summer and getting most of them right.
                        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Every club in the world has bought some dross and gets the transfer market wrong, the last 2 windows haven't been too bad for us. With the amount of players possibly leaving in the summer, 7-10, there could be a lot more in's and out's again but that's not a bad thing to get a more cohesive squad. The problem comes in the market we are shopping, buying lower league players and expecting them to be like Brevett, Bardsley, Sinclair, Austin, Vardy etc doesn't often pay off as we have seen. Signed 5-10 and maybe 1 or 2 go on to be decent if your lucky and that is where we are shopping now.

Not that flashing the cash got us anywhere but it's the way of the world if you want to get on, we aren't exactly going to have 3-4 youth team players in the first team every week for a while.

Comment

Working...
                          X