The Amex - a model for us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Amex - a model for us?

Putting the game aside, there was much to enjoy from my first visit to the Amex last night. In short, I think that Brighton, their facilities and fans will be an asset to the Premier league if and when.
    The pre match atmosphere around the ground, especially excellent proper beer ( served efficiently ) plus an excellent live band and other good facilities made me envious. It felt both modern and , once the game began, traditional ( retro theme tune, unified clapping, scarf twirling etc) In short, an atmosphere to take your wife, girlfriend, significant other ( it's Brighton after all ) and kids to.
    Showed me that, done the right way, a new stadium need not be soulless.
    Only major issue? Transport after game. To my shame we left 15 minutes before the end ( a personal record but We did have a long trip in store), but rumours of significant problems were backed up by the literally hundreds of home fans who were racing out at the same time.
    As for the game, I'll wait until I've seen the Highlights before airing my judgment.

Lovely stadium. All sides were different, with one really imposing stand. It created a decent atmosphere their end we well, I could hear them all game and it was loud. Trains need sorting, not sure why they only have 4 carriages.

Comment

went a couple of years ago, agree the stadium is excellent, the location is not. Just appreciate how easy it is to get to Loftus Road
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by wortonranger View Post
        Putting the game aside, there was much to enjoy from my first visit to the Amex last night. In short, I think that Brighton, their facilities and fans will be an asset to the Premier league if and when.
        The pre match atmosphere around the ground, especially excellent proper beer ( served efficiently ) plus an excellent live band and other good facilities made me envious. It felt both modern and , once the game began, traditional ( retro theme tune, unified clapping, scarf twirling etc) In short, an atmosphere to take your wife, girlfriend, significant other ( it's Brighton after all ) and kids to.
        Showed me that, done the right way, a new stadium need not be soulless.
        Only major issue? Transport after game. To my shame we left 15 minutes before the end ( a personal record but We did have a long trip in store), but rumours of significant problems were backed up by the literally hundreds of home fans who were racing out at the same time.
        As for the game, I'll wait until I've seen the Highlights before airing my judgment.
        Totally agree.....it's a great stadium but the roads and rail links around the stadium are exactly the same sleepy little Sussex transport links that were there before they built a 30000+ seat stadium......

I waited for 20 minutes after the game and it still took over an hour for me to travel 18 miles home.

Comment

They hate cars in Brighton. They hate everything about normal life in Brighton! Build it somewhere else and it would be brilliant. Cardiff was excellent - they actually make it easy to attend.

Comment

Went in Corporate on Friday and normal on Tuesday. Catering organised exceptionally well, seats great, ground creates a decent atmosphere. If we could end up with a stadium like that would be chuffed.

Access is a pig to and from game but Brighton had awful trouble getting a site and was presumably a compromise they felt they had to make.

Comment

after the years they were stuck at the withdean they deserve a good stadium for their fans , parking / trains kind of put me off going as everyone sayes its hardwork getting home

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                Went in Corporate on Friday and normal on Tuesday. Catering organised exceptionally well, seats great, ground creates a decent atmosphere. If we could end up with a stadium like that would be chuffed.

Access is a pig to and from game but Brighton had awful trouble getting a site and was presumably a compromise they felt they had to make.
                A ground like that at old oak with the transport links it will have would be out of this world. Busses, overground, national rail, central and bakerloo lines can't believe so many cant see the future and object

Comment

Lovely stadium in a poor location when it comes to accessibility.

If they do go up and can stay up the first season that club has a awful lot of potential. Lots of players I imagine wouldn't mind being based in or around Brighton and playing in a stadium like that.

Comment

beers were a touch steep, but other than that not much to complain about
                    Rangers Til I Die
                    follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                      A ground like that at old oak with the transport links it will have would be out of this world. Busses, overground, national rail, central and bakerloo lines can't believe so many cant see the future and object
                      my only objection is we won't fill it with QPR fans

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                        Why mate 10years ago Brighton could not sell out the withdean now look at them

Comment

we just don't seem to get the fans thru the door wests , when we were in the prem i had tourists sitting round me most games . we are a small local club and i'd like it to stay that way. my mates that used to go arsenal said they'd swap with me tomorrow

Comment

we just don't seem to get the fans thru the door wests , when we were in the prem i had tourists sitting round me most games . we are a small local club and i'd like it to stay that way. my mates that used to go arsenal said they'd swap with me tomorrow
                            A tourist is always better than an empty seat. As long as they don't wear Man Utd shirt.

Comment

It will end up being a slight tourist hotspot for people who can't get or afford Premiership teams/prices. As our current ground can be at times anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X