Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: bitcoin price rising - alternatives for portfolio - tips for next big price rise

1. Default

be interesting to look at a graph with bitcoin on one axis and precious metals on the other. I have a suspicion that they're beginning to mirror each other.

An inevitable consequence of one world, lots of borders. Sadly.

Default Unique new development...

Ethereum (and other cryptocurrencies) soar as Bitcoin plummets: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/17/bitco...-ethereum.html

Originally Posted by Stanley
    Ethereum (and other cryptocurrencies) soar as Bitcoin plummets: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/17/bitco...-ethereum.html
    Thanks for posting Stan, very interesting developement. You'll note in my OP I suggested Ethereum as a hedge. I converted 0.5 btc into eth at the time. BTC currently 842.75 - still superb performance overall - and as I said, there will be plenty of peaks and troughs on the graph as it ultimately trends upwards. Eth hasn't really done much tbf, but it has fantastic potential due to its underlying tech.

Originally Posted by Hubble
    Thanks for posting Stan, very interesting developement. You'll note in my OP I suggested Ethereum as a hedge. I converted 0.5 btc into eth at the time. BTC currently 842.75 - still superb performance overall - and as I said, there will be plenty of peaks and troughs on the graph as it ultimately trends upwards. Eth hasn't really done much tbf, but it has fantastic potential due to its underlying tech.
    Yes I took your advice at the time and bought a little ETH too :-)

Yes I took your advice at the time and bought a little ETH too :-)
    Hey, I'm glad you took my advice Stan!

Eth today's price 41.45, I think it was about 9.00 when I recommended it. Bitcoin currently 743.73 - this is a great time to buy I think. Not sure how low it will go - it's all about how the market responds to the fork and what happens next. Long-term, it will go big, IMO.

A cycle I've noticed over the last year is how BTC rises then suddenly plummets, then gradually rises again. Seems to repeat this process within the ranges of roughly 750 to 1100 per Bitcoin. It's currently now on the slow rise again at 878 following the recent plummet.

A cycle I've noticed over the last year is how BTC rises then suddenly plummets, then gradually rises again. Seems to repeat this process within the ranges of roughly 750 to 1100 per Bitcoin. It's currently now on the slow rise again at 878 following the recent plummet.
    Yes, what's interesting is that this reflects user confidence in real time - but as I said somewhere else on this subject, it's very similar to what happened with gold as a currency historically, except over a super-compressed timescale, as any market reactions are now instant. But the ultimate trajectory is upwards. The variation in the last 6 months is between a much higher base rate/top rate than the previous two years, which shows basic user acceptance is strong.

Bitcoin has recently been accepted as legal tender in Japan. This is big, BIG news for the cryptocurrency, further legitimising its long-term use. No surprise it's soaring again then, currently 969.75.

Thumbs up

Ethereum also up by 75% in the last year.

Season tickets on Hubble next year. Sweet lord. Good pick mate.

Originally Posted by Jeems
    Season tickets on Hubble next year. Sweet lord. Good pick mate.
    Really glad you trusted my tips Jeems. 1,442 today's price.

I wonder how many people browse this thread who haven't commented? I wonder what people think about the thread? When I first posted this thread, bitcoin was about 290 and ethereum was 8.00. Todays prices: bitcoin close to 1,700, ethereum 130. I know a few of you followed this thread and bought into these cryptocurrencies. I imagine, like Jeems, you're pretty happy about it! Here's the weird thing: I've told a number of people, over the years, about these investment tips, but hardly anyone has followed them. I suggested to everyone I've spoken to that if they've got any spare money at all, to put it into crypto as a punt. Nearly all of them didn't do it. Can you think of anything else that has performed this well as an investment? But people are still like 'whatever'. Crazy, isn't it?

I've been reading it with interest but have not acted on it. It's completely new to me and I don't really fully understand the risks. Is there a dummies guide?
    "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

Originally Posted by Brian Wilson
    I've been reading it with interest but have not acted on it. It's completely new to me and I don't really fully understand the risks. Is there a dummies guide?
    If you'd have asked me Bri I would have told you everything you needed to know. Several have people PM'd me over the last year and most of them have invested as far as I know. There are plenty of beginners guides out there, here's one that's looks okay: http://www.coindesk.com/information/

Just to add, anyone can still easily get into bitcoin as you don't have to buy a whole 'coin' you can put in as much as you like, even if its 50 quid or even a tenner. Bitcoin is almost infinitely divisible, and without doubt I think people will soon be trading in much smaller denominations than one btc.

I think it's also worth noting that fiat currencies, like the pound and the dollar, are far more vulnerable than bitcoin. They have to be continually propped up to survive, to maintain the illusion that they are - for want of a better phrase - strong and stable - when in fact they are weak and wobbly. The dollar is teetering on the brink of collapse. It's worth reminding ourselves that it basically survives because of the deal the US did with the Saudis to make sure every oil trade has to be done in dollars - therefore known as the petrodollar. The whole reason the US and the UK support the ugly, human rights abusing, terrorist funding Saudi regime is because of this. They'll do anything to keep the Saud family in power. This, in a nutshell, explains US foreign policy in the Middle East: any regime they attempt to undermine or overthrow is because that regime threatens the stranglehold of the petrodollar agreement or the Saud families control or ambitions. That's why the US wants Assad out, why they overthrew Gaddafi and why they're always anti Iran.

As a friend of mine put it today, if you believe in peace, use bitcoin!