U.S. Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Election

God forbid, it looks like it is going to be a choice between Trump and Hillary. Unfortunately the decision affects us all. Of these two which would you prefer.

Trump. Chap with a cracking syrup, that alone wins it for me.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Yep trump for me, that syrup is a cracker Matty
      Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

What a choice.

Bit like deciding whether we would want Redknap or McClaren.

Comment

Trumps a scary thought. Up there with BoJo becoming PM over here, although tbf he cant be anymore of a ##### than the current lot.

Comment

I'm still holding out for Bernie to trump Hillary. She's nothing short of an establishment shill, which is why she's been given the nickname 'Shillary'. Trump, despite being a buffoon of the highest order, with some frankly despicable views, is nevertheless representative of the fact that the people of America are sick of the establishment. But somehow I can't see him as President. So I'm saying: Feel the Bern!

Comment

The future looks bleak from next year for sure, Putin will cause all sorts of problems for each of them
              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                I'm still holding out for Bernie to trump Hillary. She's nothing short of an establishment shill, which is why she's been given the nickname 'Shillary'. Trump, despite being a buffoon of the highest order, with some frankly despicable views, is nevertheless representative of the fact that the people of America are sick of the establishment. But somehow I can't see him as President. So I'm saying: Feel the Bern!
                my problem is that Bernie's unelectable in the general election. the same way a Trump vote in the GOP primary is a middle finger to the Party, voting for Bernie is a selfish "look how liberal I am" vote as well, with very well intended knowledge that he can't win the general election.
                Rangers Til I Die
                follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurQPR_NYC View Post
                  my problem is that Bernie's unelectable in the general election. the same way a Trump vote in the GOP primary is a middle finger to the Party, voting for Bernie is a selfish "look how liberal I am" vote as well, with very well intended knowledge that he can't win the general election.
                  Don't agree with the selfish part at all Arthur. People deserve a choice, and Clinton is not a choice, she's a paid-for, bought establishment puppet, and will do nothing for the people. And who's to say Bernie's unelectable? Do you know that for a fact? No. And he could still win the nomination. Despite Clinton's 5 state win yesterday, it was in her biggest supported areas and only about 50 delegates. All the rest could swing to Bernie. It's far from over.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                    Don't agree with the selfish part at all Arthur. People deserve a choice, and Clinton is not a choice, she's a paid-for, bought establishment puppet, and will do nothing for the people. And who's to say Bernie's unelectable? Do you know that for a fact? No. And he could still win the nomination. Despite Clinton's 5 state win yesterday, it was in her biggest supported areas and only about 50 delegates. All the rest could swing to Bernie. It's far from over.
                    It's not that simple. The Democrats have delegates and super delegates. Super delegates can vote for whomever they want. 467 are voting for Hillary and 26 for Bernie. They could change their mind but it seems unlikely. Hillary only needs about 700 delegates to win and Bernie needs 1400. If it hasn't been decided by the time they get to New York, which has 220 delegates, Hillary will probably win there as she was their senator and was very popular.

As far as Trump is concerned the situation is slightly different. Unlike the democrats they have a number of States where the winner gets all of the delegate votes as was the case in Florida. However since the contenders have been so slow in dropping out of the race, although Trump is in the lead and despite winning Florida. Trump would not at his current, front-running rate, win the 1,237 delegates required to lock up the GOP bid by the end of the primary calendar in June. That means the party would arrive for its July convention without a presumptive nominee.
                    The prospect of a contested convention creates the potential for all kinds of intrigue. If no candidate arrives in Cleveland with a majority, then the convention is considered "contested." If, for example, Trump is within 100 votes of 1,237, then there is a possibility he convinces enough uncommitted delegates to lock up the nomination on the first ballot.

But if no one emerges with the magic number after that first ballot, then it becomes contested.

The states and territories are governed by slightly differing rules, but most require their bound delegates -- the ones awarded during the primaries and caucuses -- to vote according to those results for only one round. After that anything could happen.

If there's no winner, more than half of the delegates immediately become free agents. This is when the convention moves into its "brokered" phase and the campaigns begin to vigorously compete for their support on a second ballot. Some states require their delegates to remain pledged through multiple rounds. California, for instance, only releases its bounty of 172 delegates before the third vote.

There is no way of knowing how the delegates will vote after they are unbound.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
                      The future looks bleak from next year for sure, Putin will cause all sorts of problems for each of them
                      I think they are perfectly capable of creating all sorts of problems by themselves
                      Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                      but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                      http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                        It's not that simple. The Democrats have delegates and super delegates. Super delegates can vote for whomever they want. 467 are voting for Hillary and 26 for Bernie. They could change their mind but it seems unlikely. Hillary only needs about 700 delegates to win and Bernie needs 1400. If it hasn't been decided by the time they get to New York, which has 220 delegates, Hillary will probably win there as she was their senator and was very popular.

As far as Trump is concerned the situation is slightly different. Unlike the democrats they have a number of States where the winner gets all of the delegate votes as was the case in Florida. However since the contenders have been so slow in dropping out of the race, although Trump is in the lead and despite winning Florida. Trump would not at his current, front-running rate, win the 1,237 delegates required to lock up the GOP bid by the end of the primary calendar in June. That means the party would arrive for its July convention without a presumptive nominee.
                        The prospect of a contested convention creates the potential for all kinds of intrigue. If no candidate arrives in Cleveland with a majority, then the convention is considered "contested." If, for example, Trump is within 100 votes of 1,237, then there is a possibility he convinces enough uncommitted delegates to lock up the nomination on the first ballot.

But if no one emerges with the magic number after that first ballot, then it becomes contested.

The states and territories are governed by slightly differing rules, but most require their bound delegates -- the ones awarded during the primaries and caucuses -- to vote according to those results for only one round. After that anything could happen.

If there's no winner, more than half of the delegates immediately become free agents. This is when the convention moves into its "brokered" phase and the campaigns begin to vigorously compete for their support on a second ballot. Some states require their delegates to remain pledged through multiple rounds. California, for instance, only releases its bounty of 172 delegates before the third vote.

There is no way of knowing how the delegates will vote after they are unbound.
                        I was basing what I said primarily on this article, which sees the situation thus:

"
                        Bernie Sanders is still well within striking distance of the nomination as more Sanders-friendly states take to the polls throughout the Spring. The primary season is only halfway over, and the remaining states are overwhelmingly favorable to Sanders in that they’re blue states with large populations of Democratic-leaning independents and voters under 45.

In fact, out of the 17 states Sanders has lost, it’s important to remember that Barack Obama still beat Hillary Clinton in 2008 despite losing 21 states. Florida and Ohio, which Clinton won last night, also went for Clinton in 2008. According to New York Times election results, Clinton beat Obama in Florida by 17 points. She also beat Obama in Ohio by a 10-point margin in 2008. Sanders’ loss in those states isn’t that devastating in context.

Nationally-renowned pollster Nate Silver carved out a path for Sanders to win the nomination, showing which states the Vermont senator had to win, and by what margins, to remain competitive. Silver doesn’t list Delaware and Maryland as must-win states for Sanders, meaning he could theoretically lose those states and two others while still remaining competitive throughout the remainder of the primary season.

If Sanders and Clinton are neck-and-neck in national polls, Sanders can still win the nomination if he wins the upcoming Western contests by comfortable margins. Many of the Western states are caucuses, where Sanders traditionally does well. Three of Sanders’ last four landslide victories — Kansas, Maine, and Nebraska — are caucus states. While Western states are traditionally polling deserts at this stage, donations from certain geographical regions help shine a light on how favorable the West is for Sanders. it should be noted that six of the top 10 cities that donate the most money per capita to the Sanders campaign are in Western states that have yet to vote:
                        percapitaberniedonations

Graphic from the Seattle Times

U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson, a Florida superdelegate who has endorsed Sanders, explained in a recent Huffington Post blog that the second half of this primary season — after March 15 — could be referred to as “Presidential Primary Version 2.0.” Grayson agrees that Sanders’ best states are in the months to come:

Democratic presidential primary 2.0 elects a total of 2033 pledged delegates. If Bernie Sanders wins those races (and delegates) by the same 60-40 margin that he has amassed in primaries and caucuses outside the “Old South” to date, then that will give him an advantage of 407 pledged delegates. That is more — far more — than the current Clinton margin of 223. [Ed. Note — Margin is now 314, but the math still works out. Again, Sanders’ target is about 58%.]

Almost 700 pledged delegates are chosen on June 7 alone. It seems unlikely that either candidate will accumulate a margin of 700 pledged delegates before then. So this one may come down to the wire.

Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a wild ride.
                        "

Another interesting factor is that a significant number of Sanders voters have said they'd rather vote for Trump than Clinton (from an article in the Guardian, I don't have the link right now).

Comment

Trump for banter. Y anks are mental anyway so hardly gonna change much.

Y anks is a banned word?! Sort it out mods.

Comment

Cant believe the Clintons are still living off their Arkansas days. How the US public havent cottoned on is somewhat disturbing

Comment

Trump.massive chap.
                              "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
                              London Pride is a flower that's free.
                              London Pride means our own dear town to us,
                              And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X