The Positives and Negatives @SheffieldWednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
    Have to hold my hands up, I was a staunch supporter of Green and can now see how much better a keeper Smithies is.
    Still stand by the fact that Green is better than McCarthy though
    Ditto. Always defended Green (and rightly so a lot of the time) but this season he really was poor and even I got to the point where I was saying he had to be dropped.

Last couple of seasons was fantastic for us though, won't slate him for that. Had his day, need to move him on though.

Well pleased with Smithies and how he has settled in.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Have to hold my hands up, I was a staunch supporter of Green and can now see how much better a keeper Smithies is.
      Still stand by the fact that Green is better than McCarthy though

Mick - maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
        Nah, this is not entirely rubbish. Green has cost us many points this season, thats a fact.
        It's very difficult to say whether Greens goals would have been saved by Smithies, same as would Green have saved any of the goals Smithies let in. If's and's & but's, you can argue this all day long.

Green is history Smithies is the present
        I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Originally posted by Hertford Hoop View Post
          It's very difficult to say whether Greens goals would have been saved by Smithies, same as would Green have saved any of the goals Smithies let in. If's and's & but's, you can argue this all day long.

Green is history Smithies is the present
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Rubbish. Our problem overall this season hasn't been defence/goalkeeper, it's lack of goals and no bite up front.
            Wrong ginge first half of season were we not averaging conceding 3 goals a game and Green making untold errors and defence getting slated. Scoring goals was what came easy. It was tightening up at back that coincided with us not scoring

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
              Bit quite now though aren't they. Awful keeper & I mean that.
              People will say it's over the top but as bad a keeper I have ever watched in the Bush who was the established number 1

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                He cost us far more than 3-4 points.

Comment

3 or 4 Points only?, nah, but OK. I have only seen us on telly. but I reckon you have seen him live.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                    People will say it's over the top but as bad a keeper I have ever watched in the Bush who was the established number 1
                    Like Ive said before if he was on 5-10k a week I'd be less scathing, but this is a man on a reported 40-50k a week reportedly. Disgrace. Very rare I felt so uneasy about a so called international keeper as I did with calamity Green.

Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport View Post
                      "JFH - The tactical nous to make such a unique change to a side and to adapt to changing requirements cannot be understated. We have a fantastic prospect here as a manager and we need to get behind his methods to get the best out of our club."

I am not sure if this is baiting or not. Yesterday was a good point. However he is averaging 1 point per game. Ultimately this isn't good enough. He has had 15(W2 D9 L4) games in charge, and there are another 13 left in the league this year. Whilst we want to believe that the club is going to improve and have a brighter future, the jury is still out.
                      Why is it baiting? He made a tactical change to a strong side and it worked. Why must support of our manager come across as baiting?
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

The second half of the quote:
                        "We have a fantastic prospect here as a manager and we need to get behind his methods to get the best out of our club"

This is nothing to do with the game that occurred!

Comment

The boy done well, butI think we're ignoring the elephant in the room.

Our possession stats under JFH, as was the case with other recent managers, are simply not good enough. We are not comfortable with the ball and I've seen no sign of an improvement. This is a massive negative. Those who wanted a manager whose first priority was getting a side comfortable on the ball (which is achieved partly through players making themselves available ie movement and giving responsibility to those who actually look comfortable in possession) will still have concerns. All of this is why I was disappointed that we didn't make every effort to get a credible, footballing culture manager since our problem on the pitch was so blindingly obvious. And well documented, not least by Nas.

Control on the park takes pressure off your defenders, whoever ends up playing at the back. You can not surrender possession as often as we still do and hope for anything more than one slog after another.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport View Post
                            The second half of the quote:
                            "We have a fantastic prospect here as a manager and we need to get behind his methods to get the best out of our club"

This is nothing to do with the game that occurred!
                            It has plenty to do with the match in that he showed a tactical nous which makes me believe he is a fantastic prospect. Kindly stop antagonising me.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

Our possession stats under JFH, as was the case with other recent managers, are simply not good enough. We are not comfortable with the ball and I've seen no sign of an improvement. This is a massive negative. Those who wanted a manager whose first priority was getting a side comfortable on the ball (which is achieved partly through players making themselves available ie movement and giving responsibility to those who actually look comfortable in possession) will still have concerns. All of this is why I was disappointed that we didn't make every effort to get a credible, footballing culture manager since our problem on the pitch was so blindingly obvious. And well documented, not least by Nas.

Control on the park takes pressure off your defenders, whoever ends up playing at the back. You can not surrender possession as often as we still do and hope for anything more than one slog after another.
                              Footballing culture manager? You believe JFH isn't footballing culture?

There isn't much a man can do when his tools are poor. Matches with Faurlin in we do tend to do better but we can deal with the defensive issues in other ways, as JFH can do. There are different way to look at different problems. Leicester for example have an average 43% possession and seem to do fine. Watford have conceded the fifth least goals in the prem, yet have an average of 45.9% possession, the 4th lowest in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

We had 45% of the possession against MK Dons and won 3-0. It's what you do with the ball when you get it not how long you can hold onto it for.

Comment

Working...
                                X