No announcement yet.

Do we WANT/NEED to go up this season??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll say this: if we were to win promotion, we'd be making the jump with a bunch of players who were playing in League One, 2. Bundesliga, and lower Eredivisie clubs less than a calendar year before. I have plenty of faith in Washington, Nasser, Polt, Hall, Luongo, etc. but I'd rather give them a season or two to really gel together and earn their stripes before going up. If we can hold onto Phillips, who I believe can be a true leader and a club great, I think this team could grow and develop into a good Premier League club in 2-3 years. But not yet. We're not ready yet.

Comment

Whenever we go up we must buy 4-5 new players. It will be ok if we are not fooled by football agents again.

Comment

Of course I want us to go up, we can't assume this opportunity will be there in the next 2 or 3 years as we stabilize, I don't think we'll be anywhere near the top 6 this season when all is said and done! It shows you how far one single win can go, this discussion would have seemed very far fetched last week!
        @gatorTFC

Comment

You talked about the teams which went up last year. I think Watford is the only promoted team which is sure to survive.

Comment

We'd get crucified in the PL with this team at the moment. Need to focus on building a squad capable of winning the Championship before talking about going up.

Comment

As long as the process that's in place for building a squad that's going to be competitive and have some depth to it remains in place, then I don't see what it matters which league we're in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                Thought it was declared they have got nothing on us and the fine will be next to nothing?
                What makes you say it could be big dave.
                still with the barristers i believe think even the club are unsure where it will go there was a reputed £8-10M fine coming but the league and the club said it wasn't sure but the board are still fighting to have it thrown out, one way or another there will be a punishment Transfer embargo or fine I think

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                  Better not play the lottery then in case you win and squander the money.
                  Fair to say fans are split on being short sited and looking at things long-term still then - Personally, after the last 5 seasons I'm done with being short sighted

Comment

Everything is possible - if you can manage 8 draws in 10 matches (almost impossible) you can do 8 wins out of 10
                    That would be over 60 points with 5 games to go - Leicester had 68 points in 6th place the year they went up

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                      still with the barristers i believe think even the club are unsure where it will go there was a reputed £8-10M fine coming but the league and the club said it wasn't sure but the board are still fighting to have it thrown out, one way or another there will be a punishment Transfer embargo or fine I think
                      I expect this has already been posted but this is the last information I could find about ffp

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/...hoos_1_4270370

Comment

With the team finishing bottom now set to receive more in tv revenue than the team that won the Premier League last season, every season it will become more imperative that we do go up. Soon it will be incredibly hard to compete with newly relegated teams because they will blow everyone else out of the water financially.

Personally though am not expecting a speedy return. Ian Holloway once said after our relegation in the mid-90s that this club had "shot its financial bolt". Things aren't as dire this time, but there is a similar end of an era feeling to Rangers at the moment.

Comment

Did the calculator and figured out we are in playoff spot after 5 more matches

Comment

Originally posted by hh9 View Post
                            Did the calculator and figured out we are in playoff spot after 5 more matches
                            How did you figure that?

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                              every season it will become more imperative that we do go up.
                              I really don't like that word. It implies and engenders this perpetual sense of desperation. As if it's the be all and end all - a holy grail that must be reached at all costs, where club owners (and sometimes fans) become blinded by the pound signs and lose sight of what's more important, long-term for the health and stability of the club they're custodians of.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                                Soon it will be incredibly hard to compete with newly relegated teams because they will blow everyone else out of the water financially.
                                Have to agree to an extent but splashing the dough doesn't guarantee you walking the division. Sheffield Wednesday have spent a fraction of what Derby and Boro have spent and, IMO, look a good bet to go up.

Comment

Working...
                                X