Three Things We Need to Figure Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Things We Need to Figure Out

Now that we've nearly cemented ourselves as a mid table finisher this season, here are three things to focus on moving into next season:

(1) Style and formation of play -- beyond being consistently boring and uninspired, our formations and tactics, much less player selections, have driven Rsss fans nuts this season -- time to fix a style of play that's relentlessly aggressive, that plays players in position, and puts every team we play on notice that they are going to have their hands full every time we play them -- JFH seems to have a trademark style of play; let's see it, stick to it, and retain/recruit players who fit it

(2) The core of our team -- determine the six to eight players we are willing to go to the ends of the earth to keep, play and build the team around -- IMHO, here is the core today: Smithies, Onouha, Hall, Luongo, Chery, Phillips, and Washington -- like the fact we're recruiting the best from the lower leagues these days in search of the next Charlie Austins

(3) The attitude -- the most difficult thing we've had to endure the past few seasons is a team that seems overpaid, underperforming and relatively disinterested in the fans -- time for management and coaches to get an attitude about effort and winning, and to communicate the same to the fans if you want us to remain passionate, loyal, and committed as we face another season or more slogging through the Championship

Don't get too caught up with formations. Good players can play in any formation, we have not got enough good players to look at anything other than 4-4-2 where everyone knows their role and none of this free role/no 10 lark... We've had some great so called 10,s marsh Bowles Byrne wegerle and Adel Spring to mind but there isn't one in our squad worthy of the role. A balanced ream with left footers out on the left helps no end instead of junior coming inside 9 times out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by 1cliveallen View Post
      we have not got enough good players to look at anything other than 4-4-2 where everyone knows their role
      I think you've got it the wrong way round. 4-4-2 is the set up that needs exceptional players because it's easy to read. Think how many times 4-4-2 has been over run in midfield. You have to be flexible set up wise and prepared to change it mid game, and any pro in the top two tiers should be able to handle more than one set up... don't forget this goes back to the early 70s and total football, its not a new fangled flava of the month thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
        I think you've got it the wrong way round. 4-4-2 is the set up that needs exceptional players because it's easy to read. Think how many times 4-4-2 has been over run in midfield. You have to be flexible set up wise and prepared to change it mid game, and any pro in the top two tiers should be able to handle more than one set up... don't forget this goes back to the early 70s and total football, its not a new fangled flava of the month thing.

442 needs a few key elements: Talented Centre Mids who are fast and hard working, Balanced strikers, a generally hard working team and fluid full backs. At the moment, we have a balanced attack potentially and 1 hard working centre mid. Will it work? In the short run, maybe because its different to what we usually run, but in the long run? Not with this 11.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Fast and hard working centre mids?? Gerry Francis ray Wilkins Simon barker Peter Reid Tony Currie 5 of our most talented centre mids who were snails.. As for you need exceptional players to play 4-4-2 and be prepared to change during games is over thinking a simple game. Leicester who don't have a team of exceptional players sit atop the premiership playing 4-4-2. It's the most basic set up that everyone grows up with in England.

Comment

Fast and hard working centre mids?? Gerry Francis ray Wilkins Simon barker Peter Reid Tony Currie 5 of our most talented centre mids who were snails.. As for you need exceptional players to play 4-4-2 and be prepared to change during games is over thinking a simple game. Leicester who don't have a team of exceptional players sit atop the premiership playing 4-4-2. It's the most basic set up that everyone grows up with in England.
            What do leicester have in centre mid? Fast and hard working players. Again, with regards to our historical performances, times have changed, players are much more fit and you will get over run if you don't have pace and energy. Another thing is that the reason England never win anything is because they are brought up learning 442 the way you want it implemented, thinking the game is more simple than it is. Why do you think they never teach it in spain? Or in Italy, Germany or any successful nation.

And why do you think there are so many foreign players in the premier league? Because they have been brought up to play a formation other than 442, where you cannot get over run in the middle if you have talent.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Nas we won the World Cup playing 4-4-2. Since England tried the "European" way we've not even got out of groups.. We end up with people saying as they do every week on here as well as England games play players in their proper positions, but what is barkleys lalanas fers luongos cherys hoillets proper positions? Since Man U have gone away from 4-4-2 what have they done?ive seen us 4-5-1 for the past couple of years starting with a very uninspiring promotion year with Harry and we've been shocking ever since, with us most weeks looking like no one understands their role in the team. Maybe we should just buy foreigners like diakite mbia tozser sandro fer traore assou ekotto park Caesar granero and see how we do then

Comment

Nas we won the World Cup playing 4-4-2. Since England tried the "European" way we've not even got out of groups.. We end up with people saying as they do every week on here as well as England games play players in their proper positions, but what is barkleys lalanas fers luongos cherys hoillets proper positions? Since Man U have gone away from 4-4-2 what have they done?ive seen us 4-5-1 for the past couple of years starting with a very uninspiring promotion year with Harry and we've been shocking ever since, with us most weeks looking like no one understands their role in the team. Maybe we should just buy foreigners like diakite mbia tozser sandro fer traore assou ekotto park Caesar granero and see how we do then
                Very good points.

Comment

A comment to point 1: Nasser? Would a system like 3-5-2 fit our team? The club I support here in Norway, coached by Lars Bohinen by the way, tried it. The players didnīt master it at all, and they were relegated long before May. But, however, I have heard and read that such a way of play implemented in the right way is difficult to play against. I guess it requires a lot of each player when it comes to organisational skill and ability to cover ground.

Ps. A slow Tozser would not be a player we could use in such a system, I guess. Maybe Diakite could make his way into the team in such a set-up. That would benefit both him and us.
                  Last edited by Shania; 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
                    Now that we've nearly cemented ourselves as a mid table finisher this season, here are three things to focus on moving into next season:

(1) Style and formation of play -- beyond being consistently boring and uninspired, our formations and tactics, much less player selections, have driven Rsss fans nuts this season -- time to fix a style of play that's relentlessly aggressive, that plays players in position, and puts every team we play on notice that they are going to have their hands full every time we play them -- JFH seems to have a trademark style of play; let's see it, stick to it, and retain/recruit players who fit it

(2) The core of our team -- determine the six to eight players we are willing to go to the ends of the earth to keep, play and build the team around -- IMHO, here is the core today: Smithies, Onouha, Hall, Luongo, Chery, Phillips, and Washington -- like the fact we're recruiting the best from the lower leagues these days in search of the next Charlie Austins

(3) The attitude -- the most difficult thing we've had to endure the past few seasons is a team that seems overpaid, underperforming and relatively disinterested in the fans -- time for management and coaches to get an attitude about effort and winning, and to communicate the same to the fans if you want us to remain passionate, loyal, and committed as we face another season or more slogging through the Championship
                    I totally agree with your 3rd point... Personally speaking it is the most important one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                      A comment to point 1: Nasser? Would a system like 3-5-2 fit our team? The club I support here in Norway, coached by Lars Bohinen by the way, tried it. The players didnīt master it at all, and they were relegated long before May. But, however, I have heard and read that such a way of play implemented in the right way is difficult to play against. I guess it requires a lot of each player when it comes to organisational skill and ability to cover ground.

Ps. A slow Tozser would not be a player we could use in such a system, I guess. Maybe Diakite could make his way into the team in such a set-up. That would benefit both him and us.
                      352 to me is one of the most interesting tactical developments in football, mainly thanks to italian football. Even more so than 442, it is reliant on energy, especially with the wing backs. Would it fit our current squad? Absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                        352 to me is one of the most interesting tactical developments in football, mainly thanks to italian football.
                        3-5-2 is utter bollo*ks

Comment

Nas we won the World Cup playing 4-4-2.
                          Which was how many years ago exactly? Since then, England have regularly been over run in midfield when we've tried it.

If you want success at the highest level you have to be more flexible, that's why Mourinho insisted on players who could adapt above all. Leicester immediately revert to a pressing 4-5-1 when the ball is lost.

For me total football means flexibility. Sure, you have to know the systems but that is the future. If everyone in England sticks to one set up forever - be that 4-4-2 or not - that'll be the end of us winning anything in Europe or on the world stage.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            Which was how many years ago exactly? Since then, England have regularly been over run in midfield when we've tried it.

If you want success at the highest level you have to be more flexible, that's why Mourinho insisted on players who could adapt above all. Leicester immediately revert to a pressing 4-5-1 when the ball is lost.

For me total football means flexibility. Sure, you have to know the systems but that is the future. If everyone in England sticks to one set up forever - be that 4-4-2 or not - that'll be the end of us winning anything in Europe or on the world stage.

People ride on England '66 as if we are owed success now by trying the same thing even though it hasn't worked for 50 years and everyone has figured out the "English 442" a very different 442 to any other. Far too rigid and reliant on aggression over talent. There are foreign clubs who run it well because they don't define it by the 3 rows of players we do.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              352 to me is one of the most interesting tactical developments in football, mainly thanks to italian football. Even more so than 442, it is reliant on energy, especially with the wing backs. Would it fit our current squad? Absolutely not.
                              Point taken.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

Working...
                              X