Converting a garage into a man cave/games room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    Thanks for the replies lads... Thats what was confusing me, the fact that from the outside the property
    will look exactly the same (bar the veluxs), so didnt think I needed planning. I'll certainly start looking into it now though (building regs) as W12 said could came across some sticky questions when selling.
    Hi Nick,
    Similar answer to the garage question really..........
    local council Building Control dept REALLY ARE there to help and will happily answer ALL questions either by phone or if you pop in with drawings or photos.

This work will need building regs and a completion certificate to sell the property at a later date

Detached buildings have more of a 'permitted development' allowance than semi's or terraces but you won't be using any if you don't break out of the original roof.

Main concern again is Insulation Insulation Insulation ..........

Depending on whether it's a hipped roof will determine the internal size, you can't just remove purlin's & spreader beams just cause you don't like the look of them ;-)

1st port of call the council for free precise 5☆ advice
    "Steve, do you think 25k is a good option when there are indications that within four years, new stadiums on average have increased attendances of 60%?
    For us that would mean around 29k."

QPR Richard 16-12-2013 10.08pm

Comment

Regarding either my garage conversion or if I buy a summerhouse does anyone know how I go about getting internet coverage in there? Is it easy enough to get?

Apologies I am way behind when it comes to technology lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
        Regarding either my garage conversion or if I buy a summerhouse does anyone know how I go about getting internet coverage in there? Is it easy enough to get?

If it ain't too far from where ya got the hub thing I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get it. My neighbour uses mine and she must live at least 50 foot or so from mine.
        "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
        London Pride is a flower that's free.
        London Pride means our own dear town to us,
        And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Hello mate it all depends on what you want the internet for and the speed of your internet, if you have 30meg plus a reasonable upload speed your be fine. If you have BT standard you might struggle. The other option is you could just hard wire, your PC/laptop with an Ethernet cable
          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

If you are going to be using WiFi and your garage or summerhouse is not too far from your house where the router is situated; you can buy a Wifi extender, which are not too expensive.
            If you will be running power out to the garage/summerhouse; there is a Wifi extender you can buy that plugs straight into a power outlet.
            Minds Are Like Parachutes.
            Work Best When Open...
            @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Have decided to give the garage conversion a swerve, the asbestos roof is the problem. I think removing it could open a can of worms what with the connecting garages.

Am going down the summerhouse route, a couple of pals are going to build it for us. I really fancy turning it into a old style pub.

Anyone on here done this and have any advice or tips?

I'd appreciate it as always, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post
                If it ain't too far from where ya got the hub thing I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to get it. My neighbour uses mine and she must live at least 50 foot or so from mine.
                The hub in our house is in my youngest daughters room which is at the front of the house so last night I went outside to see how far I could go on our internet and I went a good 30 foot so I will get the hub moved to one of the back rooms so wifi will reach the summerhouse.

Fingers crossed all goes to plan

Comment

Well now Dave, I hope you are going to invite all your advisors to the Topping Out Ceremony .........
                  "Steve, do you think 25k is a good option when there are indications that within four years, new stadiums on average have increased attendances of 60%?
                  For us that would mean around 29k."

QPR Richard 16-12-2013 10.08pm

Comment

This thread is interesting! I love the idea of transforming a garage into a games room. I wonder if I could also transform my child's play room into big men's game room. My son is now a man.

Comment

Working...
                    X