No announcement yet.

Hasselbaink - background....from FourFourTwo, Independent and The Guardian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Googled where he was born cos never heard of the place. A few Dutch stars were born there too !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramaribo

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
      Scary to think he didn't even have a ticket at the time of the 4-4-2 piece (July 13). His stated aim in his first job was to get Antwerp back up. He failed. The Burton he took over were already top five in their division, so that promotion owed something to his predecessor. Once up, they continued their good form. And that's it.

I hope this works out but let's not kid ourselves. It's a massive gamble.
      Top 5 but on the slide, if you look at their form. They continued his good form, not that of the previous manager. Rowett left on poor form as I recall.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
        Top 5 but on the slide, if you look at their form. They continued his good form, not that of the previous manager. Rowett left on poor form as I recall.
        Beat me to it, was going to post the same. Funny how certain facts are conveniently omitted if they don't suit an argument. What he achieved at Burton in just a year was incredible. I also don't get this 'gamble' issue. He has a one year rolling deal on probably about 7-8k pw. If it doesn't work out after a year then we move on. Besides, any appointment is a gamble, and as for Rodgers, that was just a pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          Beat me to it, was going to post the same. Funny how certain facts are conveniently omitted if they don't suit an argument. What he achieved at Burton in just a year was incredible. I also don't get this 'gamble' issue. He has a one year rolling deal on probably about 7-8k pw. If it doesn't work out after a year then we move on. Besides, any appointment is a gamble, and as for Rodgers, that was just a pipe dream.
          Bang on, especially regarding any appointment being a gamble. Who wouldn't be? A tried and tested PL manager such as Mark Hughes....??
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

I'm afraid that is absolutely no guide to management success.

I think Pearson laid the foundations for Leicester's current success. I think Rodgers achievement at Liverpool was a pretty decent stab at a club which was dysfunctional by its own standards when he turned up - Klopp said Liverpool played some beautiful football under Rodgers, as did Swansea when he was there. We all witnessed it. Those are examples of form when it comes to management. You look at the win ratio and the level at which it was achieved. By comparison, JFH is a gamble - my opinion of course. But I don't think it's an irrational viewpoint.
            On that arguement Rogers can't take credit for Swansea at all and kudos needs to go to Martinez not him. And the great Pearson who could not buy a win other then last 6weeks of last season what about the eight months that went before???

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
              Bang on, especially regarding any appointment being a gamble. Who wouldn't be? A tried and tested PL manager such as Mark Hughes....??
              Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                On that arguement Rogers can't take credit for Swansea at all and kudos needs to go to Martinez not him. And the great Pearson who could not buy a win other then last 6weeks of last season what about the eight months that went before???
                Yup there is truth in that, and I posted on here when Martinez had been available way back in the day and we were struggling...... But Rodgers did implement a good philosophy at Liverpool, and Pearson's championship record with Leicester was decent (as Rodgers at Swansea). Their form is in the book.

The fact is that like it or not, Burton were top 5 and lots of sides benefit from bounce when a new guv'nor steps in. JFH did well enough to maintain momentum at Burton. That is the sum total of his management career (bar Antwerp where he wasn't able to deliver what he promised but did OK).

Would Rodgers have come? Given that we've trashed 3/4 of a billion and not really got anywhere, it might have been worth investing in quality, proven management and forgetting all about DoFs etc. We've got a reasonable chance of getting up and who knows, he might have come. Then again he may have had an eye across the border... Maybe we did approach him - either way I don't think the idea of someone of that stature coming here is totally fantastic.

Yup, all appointments are a gamble. This one especially so - imo. All the more fun it works out!
                Last edited by hal9thou; 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Yup there is truth in that, and I posted on here when Martinez had been available way back in the day and we were struggling...... But Rodgers did implement a good philosophy at Liverpool, and Pearson's championship record with Leicester was decent (as Rodgers at Swansea). Their form is in the book.

The fact is that like it or not, Burton were top 5 and lots of sides benefit from bounce when a new guv'nor steps in. JFH did well enough to maintain momentum at Burton. That is the sum total of his management career (bar Antwerp where he wasn't able to deliver what he promised but did OK).

Would Rodgers have come? Given that we've trashed 3/4 of a billion and not really got anywhere, it might have been worth investing in quality, proven management and forgetting all about DoFs etc. We've got a reasonable chance of getting up and who knows, he might have come. Then again he may have had an eye across the border... Maybe we did approach him - either way I don't think the idea of someone of that stature coming here is totally fantastic.

Yup, all appointments are a gamble. This one especially so - imo.

second time I've seen this quote.

Since when did we lose 750 million pounds?

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
                    Since when did we lose 750 million pounds?
                    My bad - only 1/4 of a billion, poor sub editing... SOURCE

Comment

Yup, all appointments are a gamble. This one especially so - imo. All the more fun it works out!
                      Again, you are totally wrong on this. They had 3 wins in their prior 9 matches (1 draw) and were definitely sliding down the league. He didn't maintain any momentum, he brought his own in, winning 6 and drawing 1 of their next 9. To say that he was just building on what was there is ridiculous.
                      Look at it in a similar way to Neil Warnock coming here first time: Before Warnock, we had won 1 and drawn 1 of our previous 9 games. The next 9 we won 2 and drew 5, losing only 2 games. Warnock built the foundations himself, it wasn't Magilton (as good as his results that season), it wasn't Hart, it wasn't Harford. Same way for Burton, it wasn't Rowett who got them promoted, it was JFH. The sum total of his management career is much greater as I will describe below:

He won League Two with a squad that by the end of the season, had only the 7th highest mean player market value (according to Transfermarkt.co.uk). He then took this team into League One, now with the 20th placed mean player market value in his new league and sent them to the top of the league fairly easily, showing a defensive consistency and an ability to win matches, with 7 different goalscorers this season. This is the manager who has won the most points in the football league in 2015 and has been on fire. Calling him a bigger gamble than anyone else, such as Pearson or Rodgers, one of whom had one good run at the end of last season and the other who has spent untold money and not brought the success with it (as much as I do like his style). JFH seems the steadiest call we made. He doesn't have the pressure on him like they do and that works fine for me.
                      Then the 750million number you give... you can't even believe that yourself can you? I don't mind if its a hyperbole of our spending, which I'm not denying has been high in the past, but c'mon, that is a crazy number and more so, an irrelevant one given that we don't owe anything like that number to anyone. We're almost at 0 here.

Finally, Saying that investing in a quality, proven management and forgetting all about DoFs etc, is exactly what we did when we brought Hughes and Harry in. Two of the most highly regarded managers in world football and they couldn't breed success at this club. Lets give someone a chance to prove themselves instead of need us to prove ourselves to them.

EDIT: Just saw your change to the 750mil, although my point that it is irrelevant in the long run still stands IMO.
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

After what happened at Leicester I´m not sure Pearson would have been that much respected by our players at all. JFH is starting with a clean sheet, in that respect. Just my humble opinion.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

Yup, all appointments are a gamble. This one especially so - imo.
                          He has a 64 per cent win rate, better than any manager in the country at the moment.

Comment

The blokes a winner, let's just hope the curse don't break him like it has done to so many others, players or managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                              He has a 64 per cent win rate, better than any manager in the country at the moment.
                              Nope. That's Peterborough's manager...71%

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                                Nope. That's Peterborough's manager...71%
                                Really? Well that's an LF quote anyway.

Maybe it was the case at the time of the job interview...

Comment

Working...
                                X