• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather mild for December isn't it?

I mean like slightly!!!

Watch past 10 seconds, it's funny!

Massive nod to beastie boys for that.
    "The kids missed everything from Queens Park Rangers to Conkers".

London Pride has been handed down to us.
    London Pride is a flower that's free.
    London Pride means our own dear town to us,
    And our pride it for ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger View Post
      Massive nod to beastie boys for that.
      Indeed sir. Quite smart though I thought.

Comment

stirring the pot
        the soup thickens

Last edited by QPR71; 04-01-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Last edited by QPR71; 04-01-2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Video 1: Dr Judith Curry does NOT say that climate change isn't happening, nor that the human influence isn't a factor, just that we don't fully understand the whole process yet, by a long chalk. Her main focus is on the pressure to conform to one model of belief. I'm with her there, but the vid neither supports nor contradicts the fact that the climate is changing, due to factors including human influence.

Video 2: The data is incorrect. The planet's oceans and surface temps are warming up.

Video 3: The data used stops at 2000. We're now in 2015. The temp rises since 2000 and climatic pattern changes are surely now incontrovertible?

Video 4:

1: Says Fox News is the only cable network that will air anti-climate change views. Well, Fox is owned by Murdoch, who has many vested interests in climate change not happening, so that can be discounted as spurious.

2. The CO2 issue: Yes, we still don't know how much of a factor it really is. But that still doesn't mean climate change isn't happening, nor that there isn't a human factor - which is the same as what Dr. Judith Curry is saying in the first video.

So, what conclusions can we draw? Well, firstly, I think we have to agree, something is happening to our climate. Presumably you haven't just come out of hibernation to post those videos 71, and you're aware we've just had the wettest and warmest December on record, and not just by a smidgeon, the records have been absolutely smashed. A mean monthly temp over 4 degrees higher than normal, and unbelievable amounts of rainfall. I should know, we got caught in the floods in Yorkshire last week. Biblical flood conditions. Ridiculously mild.

And this record breaking month follows on the back of yet another warmest year overall, which follows on the back of subsequent warmest and/or wettest years, all happening in the last 15 years.

So surely the question has to be not 'is it happening?', but 'what's causing it?'

And for my money, we have to include human activity as a factor. If you look at all the other main factors that influence climate and weather: sunspot activity, volcanic activity, the magnetic field changes, comet or meteorite impact, plus the normal fluctuations you expect within a complex system such as weather and the biosphere as a whole: none of those can account, on their own, for such rapid and dramatic change. There is one factor that has change significantly over the last 200 years, and that's human industrial activity.

Whether it's a direct factor or not, no one is denying in anything you've posted, that CO2 emissions have not risen dramatically through human activity. But that's only a fraction of the story. Factor in: massive deforestation, massive pollution of the land, sea and air, massive methane emission increase through industrial-scale farming, and then when do you get? You get a factor in climate change.

So for me, there are two conclusions we can draw:

1. The climate is changing.

2. Humans are part of the reason.

Is there anything there anyone disagrees with?
            Last edited by Hubble; 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
              Video 1: Dr Judith Curry does NOT say that climate change isn't happening, nor that the human influence isn't a factor, just that we don't fully understand the whole process yet, by a long chalk. Her main focus is on the pressure to conform to one model of belief. I'm with her there, but the vid neither supports nor contradicts the fact that the climate is changing, due to factors including human influence.

Video 2: The data is incorrect. The planet's oceans and surface temps are warming up.

Video 3: The data used stops at 2000. We're now in 2015. The temp rises since 2000 and climatic pattern changes are surely now incontrovertible?

Video 4:

1: Says Fox News is the only cable network that will air anti-climate change views. Well, Fox is owned by Murdoch, who has many vested interests in climate change not happening, so that can be discounted as spurious.

2. The CO2 issue: Yes, we still don't know how much of a factor it really is. But that still doesn't mean climate change isn't happening, nor that there isn't a human factor - which is the same as what Dr. Judith Curry is saying in the first video.

So, what conclusions can we draw? Well, firstly, I think we have to agree, something is happening to our climate. Presumably you haven't just come out of hibernation to post those videos 71, and you're aware we've just had the wettest and warmest December on record, and not just by a smidgeon, the records have been absolutely smashed. A mean monthly temp over 4 degrees higher than normal, and unbelievable amounts of rainfall. I should know, we got caught in the floods in Yorkshire last week. Biblical flood conditions. Ridiculously mild.

And this record breaking month follows on the back of yet another warmest year overall, which follows on the back of subsequent warmest and/or wettest years, all happening in the last 15 years.

So surely the question has to be not 'is it happening?', but 'what's causing it?'

And for my money, we have to include human activity as a factor. If you look at all the other main factors that influence climate and weather: sunspot activity, volcanic activity, the magnetic field changes, comet or meteorite impact, plus the normal fluctuations you expect within a complex system such as weather and the biosphere as a whole: none of those can account, on their own, for such rapid and dramatic change. There is one factor that has change significantly over the last 200 years, and that's human industrial activity.

Whether it's a direct factor or not, no one is denying in anything you've posted, that CO2 emissions have not risen dramatically through human activity. But that's only a fraction of the story. Factor in: massive deforestation, massive pollution of the land, sea and air, massive methane emission increase through industrial-scale farming, and then when do you get? You get a factor in climate change.

So for me, there are two conclusions we can draw:

1. The climate is changing.

2. Humans are part of the reason.

Is there anything there anyone disagrees with?
              Yes- a lot of speculation on your part. just work with facts

Comment

On my part or 71s?

I'm just looking at the facts, which are:
                The climate is changing.
                We have had record temp rises and rainfall for the last several years.
                Humans are producing far more atmospheric and environmental pollutants now than they have ever done before, and over the last 150 years, this has been at an exponential rate.
                Anything else to add to that?

Comment

The winter has arrived two months too late here in Norway. 10 below zero and snow here in Oslo, today. Have to say, I read that the changes in climate could be a cyclic phenomenon. Its all a bit confusing I think. Not sure what I should believe, really.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                    The winter has arrived two months too late here in Norway. 10 below zero and snow here in Oslo, today. Have to say, I read that the changes in climate could be a cyclic phenomenon. Its all a bit confusing I think. Not sure what I should believe, really.
                    El Nino effect, wouldn't surprise me to see snow here in July. Very mild down here in the SW, but it seems to have been raining non-stop for ages
                    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                    This morning's tempest I have to cross
                    I must be guided without a stumble
                    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

They who blame it on us humans have got a point I think, Lymehoop. The umbrella makers Union is partly to blame, I would say...
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

El Nino is a factor, but that on its own does not explain such extremes.

Comment

Can we setup a sub forum for all these non sense threads and conspiracy theories?

I'm sure there are plenty of other forums on the web you could post this crap on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruislip Ranger View Post
                            Can we setup a sub forum for all these non sense threads and conspiracy theories?

I'm sure there are plenty of other forums on the web you could post this crap on.
                            To whom are you directing your ire? And may I remind you, this particular forum is called 'Down the Pub'. It has been set up for precisely these kind of conversations. If you don't like them, don't read them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                              To whom are you directing your ire? And may I remind you, this particular forum is called 'Down the Pub'. It has been set up for precisely these kind of conversations. If you don't like them, don't read them.
                              well said Hubs. I came in from the pub last night and my response was a little more forthright, I decided to delete the post and went to bed. May I also gently remind you Hubs, never start a sentence with And. Happy New Year to you Sir
                              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                              This morning's tempest I have to cross
                              I must be guided without a stumble
                              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                              X