Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Yes I did, I got it completely.
    No, you didn't. A family member's illness, terminal or otherwise, would constitute a feasible cause for the underperformance for us of an older player kicked out of a top club if that factor was present in several instances, instead of just one, which clearly makes it an exception, and not a rule we should rely on in reviewing such failuresl.
    Banning people is no longer my hobby,
    but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
    http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by upperloft View Post
      Very sad what happened to his wife, cancer is a terrible illness but surely the right thing to do was retire as soon as he found out? Not keep playing?
      Maybe it wasn't clear how long she had to live...

Maybe she would have gone into remission...

Maybe she would have lived another 3 or 4 years...

IOW perhaps too many unknowns and variables to make such a decision. Probably no-one really knew the real situation apart from Rio, the doctors and those closest to him.

Comment

I'm okay with Rio. Was brought in to bring calmness and experience to a 3-back line, and in that light it made some sense. The system being changed and the situation with his wife was way beyond his control, so he can't be faulted for that.
        QPR since 1993
        WATRB since 2015
        First QPR game hopefully in 2017

Comment

Dont know the actual figure he was on, but i wouldn't knock the bloke for seeing his contract out and collecting his reddies. Our mistake, cant imagine too many other clubs were in for him

Comment

Think he's an honest fella. Wasn't his fault we didn't get anything out of him. Our fault. And the sad circumstances. Much better getting in the likes of Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
              No, you didn't. A family member's illness, terminal or otherwise, would constitute a feasible cause for the underperformance for us of an older player kicked out of a top club if that factor was present in several instances, instead of just one, which clearly makes it an exception, and not a rule we should rely on in reviewing such failuresl.
              The second half of your sentence makes absolutely no sense, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                Maybe it wasn't clear how long she had to live...

Maybe she would have gone into remission...

Maybe she would have lived another 3 or 4 years...

IOW perhaps too many unknowns and variables to make such a decision. Probably no-one really knew the real situation apart from Rio, the doctors and those closest to him.
                In the real world maybe you would have to work on for financial reasons, mortgage, bills and all that.

He was extremely poor and now we can see why, I do believe his wife's illness had something to do with his performances but I can't see why you would keep playing.
                C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Find it hard to believe HR didn't know? To be fair to TF, he apparently was against the signing, he should have struck to his guns, maybe HR would have walked?
                  Kept the faith!

Comment

Maybe he signed to try to find a distraction from the constant worry and agony of seeing his wife get ever frailer and nearer the end.

In practice maybe the distraction wasn't enough which was reflected in his performance.

Comparing him to park and samba is just ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                      Comparing him to park and samba is just ignorant.
                      Well you can always rely on Krill for that...

Comment

I disagree completely. I never factored that in and I never will.
                        If his wife wasn't ill, he would have been as useless for us.
                        Was Park's wife ill? Samba's? All those other ageing mercs we squandered millions on?
                        We should stop offering excuses for those worthless acquisitions, once and for all.
                        Otherwise we will continue buying (into) them.
                        Samba was ageing? You must be losing the plot mate. This is a ridiculous statement. He was 28, for a centreback that is before their peaks.
                        Then you go and totally ignore the other "Ageing Mercs" who deserve respect for what they did for this club: Cisse, Zamora, Rob Green, Ryan Nelsen, Gary O'Neil, Richard Dunne.
                        These guys were at the end of their careers, probably looking for a final pay day when they came, and they have had a huge role in any of the success we've had in recent times at this club.
                        To then bring up the fact that the illness to his wife shouldn't be factored in just makes you seem bitter. It's disrespectful.
                        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Again, don't undermine the situation by calling her a family member. She was his wife, the closest person to him in the world I'd imagine. You've made no sense in this case and just come across as rather lacking understanding of the emotions a footballer would go through. They are no better than regular people, they are just humans as well. I know I'd find it difficult to work or study if something happened to the person I was closest to, why should we treat him any differently because he is a footballer?
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Yes but the very few sensible people on here who predicted exactly this when we signed Rio, they got shot down in flames
                            par for the course.

He was finished before he turned up, but no one wanted to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                            X