Do we learn from our mistakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we learn from our mistakes?

I came across an interesting point today on this forum, brought up by Stanley who asked rhetorically if we were actually learning from the mistakes we have made every game.

The point that I made was that we are attempting to learn from our mistakes every game. To a degree this is shown in the stats and highlighted well by the people at Whoscored.com in the pictures below. However this is an underlying trend of general recurrence of errors that are costing us.

First up we have Charlton to Cardiff and what you'll find is that our weaknesses were Finishing, free kicks and individual errors. Moving to the Cardiff game, we can see that finishing has become a strength and individual skill has also. However, we were still giving away too many free kicks around the box.

Going onto the next game against Wolves, you can see here that our weakness of giving away many free kicks is gone and has been replaced by stealing the ball often. However we did lose possession often. Moving to the game against Rotherham however and we see that we have actually eliminated all our weaknesses and Rotherham actually did what we usually do. The Rotherham result was our peak so far in this season because looking at the next game, you might have been able to tell things weren't going to go well after that.

Huddersfield brought about a couple of weaknesses in our side, being the return of aggressive and giving away free kicks. However to have no real strengths may have given away that we weren't playing to our best. This is shown going into the Forest game where we were once again aggressive, giving away too many dangerous free kicks but adding the offsides and the individual errors.

Against Blackburn, hoping to eradicate some issues, we didn't give away as many free kicks in dangerous positions and we weren't that aggressive (these seem to be very interlinked with one another), however we were still getting caught offside too much and we still committed individual errors. Hull was an impressive game, not least because we didn't give away many individual errors and showed some structure.

Unfortunately, Sky Sports came into town and ruined our potential rise with the Fulham game, which for only the second time this season, brought about poor finishing but also the return of individual errors. After the mauling, we came home to Bolton, hoping to eradicate these errors and this was done fairly well, with goals being brought about by individual skill and finishing being a big strength, however we were once again too aggressive and were caught offside often.

Hoping to fix these issues, we went to Birmingham and were unlucky not to get a point after a poor penalty call, but in terms of weaknesses we were better with the aggression but were still being caught offside too often. Coming home to Sheffield, we were poor at finishing, gave away possession poorly and were again caught offside often. This was arguably our scrappiest game this season but we did well overall to get a draw against an in form team.

A game later, we even won against MK, however this lingering weakness of ours - the offsides - were still haunting us. We were however much stronger finishing wise and held the ball much better in the opposition half. Finally we come to Brentford, our worst performance this season, and the strengths column shows that. More importantly, our weaknesses showed that we were poor at finishing, too aggressive, gave away possession often and were caught offside often.

My general belief here is that we have to look at what have been the most consistent weaknesses. Certainly; aggression, free kicks and Offsides are key to eradicating our problems but we are too inconsistent with our finishing, one week doing everything well and another not doing it well enough. Are we as bad as some here say we are? No way, not by a country mile we aren't. But we do need to work on getting some fundamentals right.
    Last edited by nasser95; 01-11-2015, 08:30 PM.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Fck me, I'll have to look at this tomorrow, I'm on my eighth pint...

Comment

Loss of possession is a key determinant, a basic.

We keep on doing it, as your analysis confirms. The question is whether this is a management / coaching failure and if so, who is to blame.

Comment

I've learnt from my mistakes don't go if you have a clown in charge lol
        R's

Comment

If someone reads the 1st post can you give me a yes or no answer to the title?!

Not that bothered ....but if you do, thanks....Personally think yes

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            However this is an underlying trend of general recurrence of errors that are costing us.
            Which means we are not learning from mistakes. QED.

The answer I'm afraid Dave is NO.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
              Loss of possession is a key determinant, a basic.

We keep on doing it, as your analysis confirms. The question is whether this is a management / coaching failure and if so, who is to blame.
              I think in part they certainly are, with some odd team selections. As bad as he has been this season, Henry has the best passing of any of our players, albeit because most of the passes are backwards but at least it keeps the ball. Early in the season, Onuoha at centre back would lose the ball often with the hoof but now with Hill we have the same problem. Angella was supposed to fix this but he hasn't for whatever reason. The issue of possession for me therefore lies with the players primarily but also the management for not getting the formula right early. You can see however which I find interesting is that a lot of things are brought about by individuals over tactics. You have plenty of individual errors and these are things that IMO lie totally with the player at the end of the day.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                Which means we are not learning from mistakes. QED.

The answer I'm afraid Dave is NO.
                Unfortunately, with some things we are not. However there are signs of improvement, namely defensively where we have shown in recent games not to be making the same errors consistently.

Comment

Too long winded for me Nas. If you have a conclusion drawn from this then I'd like to hear it.

Are we learning from our mistakes? A catergorical no (imo).

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                    Too long winded for me Nas. If you have a conclusion drawn from this then I'd like to hear it.

Are we learning from our mistakes? A catergorical no (imo).
                    Should be summarised in the last paragraph but actually you don't really have to read those boxes to be honest, they are there as evidence from the stats. I try and break it down in between them mate.

Comment

Didn't show any strengths against Brentford. Got that right!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveQPR1975 View Post
                        I've learnt from my mistakes don't go if you have a clown in charge lol
                        That's it mate.i Ain't watched any football since the diabolical display at neverland. I come on here to see what our results are then go back to pretending this season never happened. Can't believe what we've become. Totally unrecognisable from the club I loved. Absolute disgraceful outfit. The board and ramsey need to fa.rk right off now. None of em got a clue.

Comment

i read thru most/all of it nass. can you expand upon what whoscored.com mean in saying that agression is a weakness? like we lacked agression, or showed too much agression?

I haven't missed a game yet this season, and I reckon in a lot of cases we don't go and challenge for the ball, go for headers, close the amount of space the opposition sometime has in the midfield (blame lies with tozser and sometimes henry).
                          So I reckon we need to get more agressive in those departments. but then again, depends on the context of what they mean..
                          Rangers Til I Die
                          follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurQPR_NYC View Post
                            i read thru most/all of it nass. can you expand upon what whoscored.com mean in saying that agression is a weakness? like we lacked agression, or showed too much agression?

I haven't missed a game yet this season, and I reckon in a lot of cases we don't go and challenge for the ball, go for headers, close the amount of space the opposition sometime has in the midfield (blame lies with tozser and sometimes henry).
                            So I reckon we need to get more agressive in those departments. but then again, depends on the context of what they mean..
                            I believe they mean we showed too much aggression, but in the negative context where we give away too many fouls per tackle attempt perhaps? That's what it seems like to me. I definitely agree with you though, we don't go in enough but it seems like when we do, we do it 1) in the wrong positions and 2) poorly timed.

Comment

NO.

Comment

Working...
                              X