After match comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
    How many of those 19 shots were on target? Keeper made one save that I can recall. Not really threatening Nasser, is it?
    No you're right, only two were on target while 6 were blocked. Its poor finishing but we were certainly more threatening than them. They had 6 shots all off target. By the same token, they may have taken their chance better but we could have taken ours better as well (Phillips shot springs to mind as well). Stats show me where the shot went as well and from what I saw last night combined with what I have in front of me, our "off target" shots were extremely close to going in. To say that we didn't threaten is just plain wrong factually.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Not threatening enough ourselves?? For god's sake man, we had 19 bl00dy shots. 19!! 10 of those were inside the box. Two were inside the 6 yard box. How can you say we didn't threaten when thats all we did. Do you think anyone tells hill "just boot it anywhere really", no of course not, but we know clint and we know the good stuff he brings and the bad stuff he brings, Long passing is one of them. A clean sheet is a good indication because it brings in defensive confidence which we have lacked. It shows us what we need to do in the future. People complain that he doesn't do a good enough job defensively but when he does, they'll still complain.
      how many on target tho!
      i can only recall there keeper making one decent save from chery.
      nasser you have to admit we are a poor side at present!

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
        How many of those 19 shots were on target? Keeper made one save that I can recall. Not really threatening Nasser, is it?
        Exactly - After 75 minutes me and a mate were saying has either keeper had to make a save? One of those 19 shots would have been that Sandro one second half from 35 odd yards that hit the guy 2 yards in front of him. Says it all about that stat.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyKojoe View Post
          Never looked that threatening all game? What about when that guy beat our back 4 for pace and ran through them - was one on one on the penalty spot and was arguably fouled from behind as he was shooting? Not saying it was a defo pen but it was a clear chance.

Bannan also should have scored right at the end. Played through he cut inside before shooting with his right foot and skied it. Bit of composure after he cut insdie or a better finisher would have buried it first time.
          Yea fair enough they had a chance but their player kicked right back and took a tumble and that might be luck on our side but most things in the short term in football are based on luck. Bannan was forced off balance and onto his weaker foot which from my knowledge of his time at villa is awful. Players train and are told all of these things about weak foot. Remember when JET scored against Bolton, he came out and said that their player knew what his "strong foot" was and thats why they slid to block on his left. He has a fantastic weak foot. Bannan does not, our players knew that and so they forced him onto it. When players close down Clint Hill, they always close from the left if possible to make him take his clearance on his right foot. You can't then say a better finisher would have done a better job because, while that may be the case, it wasn't a better finisher, it was Bannan. Our players knew that. Players are made to know who to close down, who to stick to, which foot to show them onto etc all during the week before the game. Its no luck, its understanding with that one.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by march56 View Post
            how many on target tho!
            i can only recall there keeper making one decent save from chery.
            nasser you have to admit we are a poor side at present!
            Not really, I think we have moments where we look bad and moments where we look good. Yesterday, I felt that we looked better than they did, we looked more likely to score and we generally played better. You can only do as well as what is presented to you. I'm aware that we can't be playing Barcelona football weekly or even at all so I make adjustments to my expectation. I came into yesterday knowing the most likely outcome was a draw. I was happy with that. I would have been happier with a win. I watched the whole game attentively and I saw a few things we did badly, like leaving spaces for their players to run into. I also saw some great movement from a lot of our players and a defensive performance which I am proud of after a lot of what I've seen this season. To call us a poor side is really not looking at it from a fair standpoint. You are looking for the flaws, instead of balancing your opinion. Thats why you see a poor side, because you want to.

Comment

i thought both teams were poor , we got lucky with the clint foul , we seemed to run out of ideas for much of the game aimlessly booting the ball back to them . the atmosphere was dire and both teams were as bad as eachother , both goalkeepers had little to do , quite a few of the ST holders that sit near me didn't turn up last night they didn't miss much .

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                Not really, I think we have moments where we look bad and moments where we look good. Yesterday, I felt that we looked better than they did, we looked more likely to score and we generally played better. You can only do as well as what is presented to you. I'm aware that we can't be playing Barcelona football weekly or even at all so I make adjustments to my expectation. I came into yesterday knowing the most likely outcome was a draw. I was happy with that. I would have been happier with a win. I watched the whole game attentively and I saw a few things we did badly, like leaving spaces for their players to run into. I also saw some great movement from a lot of our players and a defensive performance which I am proud of after a lot of what I've seen this season. To call us a poor side is really not looking at it from a fair standpoint. You are looking for the flaws, instead of balancing your opinion. Thats why you see a poor side, because you want to.
                there are a lot more negatives than positives a lot more,and that makes us a poor side imo.
                your just trying to dress it up mate!

Comment

I wonder if Fer had scored the winner whether the Sub would have been a masterstroke or he would have just got lucky?

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                    I wonder if Fer had scored the winner whether the Sub would have been a masterstroke or he would have just got lucky?
                    You live and die by the decisions u make. He didn't score the winner (unfortunately).

Comment

I see your point and sometimes football is cruel and sometimes its kind but the fact is he didn't and never looked like doing either but why didn't he have another striker on the bench, he seriously isn't helping himself and as they say in life you make your own luck.....to be fair he got lucky last night that the Ref had a mare.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                        I see your point and sometimes football is cruel and sometimes its kind but the fact is he didn't and never looked like doing either but why didn't he have another striker on the bench, he seriously isn't helping himself and as they say in life you make your own luck.....to be fair he got lucky last night that the Ref had a mare.
                        I do think that he should have had someone on the bench naturalised as a striker on the bench, be it Reece or Seb. Probably could have done without one of Doughty or Henry to be honest. With that being said, knowing what we do now that JET isn't fully up to it and he was going to come off no matter what, and given the resources at the match, the Fer sub made sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                          That does baffle me I agree. I did think the draw was a fair result though. I thought Sheff Wed were poor given their recent form.

Comment

That does baffle me I agree. I did think the draw was a fair result though. I thought Sheff Wed were poor given their recent form.
                            They were well organised but luckily their shooting was atrocious

Comment

Agree draw was a fair result on the overall play but I would have felt aggrieved as a Wednesday fan, that we were not down to 10 men.

Comment

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                                He has no plan, no plan b and no clue about what he's doing. What if we were 2-0 down when JET had to come off? 4-6-0 and getting beat at home?? This is kids stuff. Bloke think he's clever and smarter than everyone else, unfortunately the opposite is true, blokes miles out of his depth.

...... No striker on the bench and only one striker starting who cant play 90minutes.... Just dont get it.
                                A recurring theme in his interviews by way of justifying certain decisions is, to paraphrase "The fans don't get to see everything I do", which is obviously true and something I'm always willing to cut managers a degree of slack over, however I think it only fair on the fan base for him (to be asked) to explain some of the more seemingly baffling decisions in more detail. An issue I may raise at the upcoming fan site meeting, assuming he's still in a job by then.

Comment

Working...
                                X