Goals against needs sorting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goals against needs sorting

The team is shaping up nicely. We can score goals and play some good stuff as well. However, its the goals against that is my biggest worry. It seems that we continued where we left last season in conceding stupid goals that we can avoid. The inclusion of Angella may help steady the back, however, as already mentioned here in other posts, its the two in front of the defence that needs steadying most. Even Luongo was classified on top of a list in the CC of 'the most disposed of the ball' players. Now I know that Luongo is a good player and he is still developing, however, with Sandro, Diakite and Fer waiting for a place in the side, will it make sense if we persists with the same formation?

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
    The team is shaping up nicely. We can score goals and play some good stuff as well. However, its the goals against that is my biggest worry. It seems that we continued where we left last season in conceding stupid goals that we can avoid. The inclusion of Angella may help steady the back, however, as already mentioned here in other posts, its the two in front of the defence that needs steadying most. Even Luongo was classified on top of a list in the CC of 'the most disposed of the ball' players. Now I know that Luongo is a good player and he is still developing, however, with Sandro, Diakite and Fer waiting for a place in the side, will it make sense if we persists with the same formation?
    although luongo playing deeper (like in the first two games of the season) didn't lose the ball nearly as much as he did when given free roam in front of the two deep players. I think this formation is already working and we can see that with the right players, it is a great way of getting plenty of goals despite one up front. Honestly, when fer and sandro are back, I can see us shoring up in the long run defensively.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Fer and Sandro playing to their best must make us strong contenders. If promotion is achieved, I feel we have a much better chance of staying up with the current squad and maybe some small additions.

Comment

Been mentioned and argued many times by nearly all of us and is becoming the new "Tarrabt" type thread but as far as I'm concerned as long as Green and Onuoha play together in the same team, then leaking goals is always gonna be a problem.

We need a commanding keeper and a CB that doesn't regularly switch off.

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post
          Been mentioned and argued many times by nearly all of us and is becoming the new "Tarrabt" type thread but as far as I'm concerned as long as Green and Onuoha play together in the same team, then leaking goals is always gonna be a problem.

We need a commanding keeper and a CB that doesn't regularly switch off.
          I don't really think I'm ever going to agree with you on this but honestly, I rate Onuoha as the best CB in this division and he has proven that so far to my viewing. Yes, he's made 1 error in not marking Dawson better for the goal (anyone who calls rhodes' goal an error by Onuoha really needs to just appreciate the class Rhodes showed) but he has been rock solid when directly confronted. As for green, he's the best keeper in the league on his line. Take him off the line and anywhere else in the box and you get a really poor keeper. Still firmly believe that the lack of central midfield steel is what is costing us defensively.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Onuoha scares the #### out of me to be honest . Isn't the commanding centre half we crave , doesn't organise the back four as a captain should , lets the ball bounce far to often . He does have some good sides to his game , he's no slouch and chips in with goals but when was the last time he dominated a game like big dan or Clarke Carlisle used to ? To say he's the best centre half in the league highlights how #### poor this division is . I think you'll find when Angella gets going he will turn out to be a far better defender/leader than ned

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
              Onuoha scares the #### out of me to be honest . Isn't the commanding centre half we crave , doesn't organise the back four as a captain should , lets the ball bounce far to often . He does have some good sides to his game , he's no slouch and chips in with goals but when was the last time he dominated a game like big dan or Clarke Carlisle used to ? To say he's the best centre half in the league highlights how #### poor this division is . I think you'll find when Angella gets going he will turn out to be a far better defender/leader than ned
              I have no doubt that angella will look the better player. But that is because that is his style. His passing is going to be vital this season but if people think onuoha has lapses, wait till angella gets going. He's known amongst Watford fans (as has been discussed here) for losing his concentration often. This is where Onuoha comes in. He has the pace to cover Angella, the strength to stop big men doing damage. Yes, he lets the ball bounce but he usually wins it anyways. People get worried when he starts running with the ball but actually, he has been surprisingly good with his dribbles out of defence and does start a few attacks. I really think watching him intensely for the 90 minutes will show people his awareness defensively.

Comment

ned will always make silly mistakes, he's to stiff and akward needs to loosen up a little . makes some good tackles and he's a trier but i'd personally play hall over him all day long

Comment

Working...
                X