What did you expect!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    The passing to each other? I never said that was good. But in the final third we create enough chances and generally take them better than anyone in this league. I'll try and come up with conversion ratios anyways but I have said the midfield two have let us down passing wise and need to improve. My point was that you changed one criticism to another when someone disproved your first one.
    Nass I'm gonna stop pickin at you pal, you are a very optimistic fella and I for one love optimism.
    I truly hope we both are celebrating promotion in may

Comment

The passing to each other? I never said that was good. But in the final third we create enough chances and generally take them better than anyone in this league. I'll try and come up with conversion ratios anyways but I have said the midfield two have let us down passing wise and need to improve. My point was that you changed one criticism to another when someone disproved your first one.
      we had 17 shots on weds and 3 on target..so not sure what that conversion rate is! one in 5 point something? or as 2 went in is that a 1 in 10 scoring rate?

Malcom Macdonald the newcastle and Arsenal and England striker of the 70's said if you shoot 100 times and score 3 people will remember the hat trick not the 97 in row z

although the definition of a shot must be pretty loose if they are county ones like Perch's that hit the back row of the loft.

Football is not American football and i am not in anyway knocking your love of stats but they do not always tell the whole story!

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
        we had 17 shots on weds and 3 on target..so not sure what that conversion rate is! one in 5 point something? or as 2 went in is that a 1 in 10 scoring rate?

Malcom Macdonald the newcastle and Arsenal and England striker of the 70's said if you shoot 100 times and score 3 people will remember the hat trick not the 97 in row z

although the definition of a shot must be pretty loose if they are county ones like Perch's that hit the back row of the loft.

Football is not American football and i am not in anyway knocking your love of stats but they do not always tell the whole story!
        This is what everyone thinks, but actually when you look deeper, everything is statistical. Everything can be broken down into some form of raw numerical that can be used to tell exactly what happened in a game.

More actually onto the conversion ratio, I was talking about shots inside the box that lead to a goal as that is a much better indicator of chances created (In general, chances are more inside the box). As I said, I will try and find team stats on this over the whole season.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

This is what everyone thinks, but actually when you look deeper, everything is statistical. Everything can be broken down into some form of raw numerical that can be used to tell exactly what happened in a game.

More actually onto the conversion ratio, I was talking about shots inside the box that lead to a goal as that is a much better indicator of chances created (In general, chances are more inside the box). As I said, I will try and find team stats on this over the whole season.
          so if every time a player crossed the halfway line he took a pot shot at the goal and everyone went high and wide,or dribbled through to the keeper the stats at the end of the game would show that team had 100 shots and the other team had played attractive football with few chances scoring one from 3 shots the figures would look like one team dominated the other..where the stats lie is that they are cold and do not take into account Passion, entertainment and enjoyment the things that fans go to games for. there are no stats for those

Comment

so if every time a player crossed the halfway line he took a pot shot at the goal and everyone went high and wide,or dribbled through to the keeper the stats at the end of the game would show that team had 100 shots and the other team had played attractive football with few chances scoring one from 3 shots the figures would look like one team dominated the other..where the stats lie is that they are cold and do not take into account Passion, entertainment and enjoyment the things that fans go to games for. there are no stats for those
            That's a bit ridiculous if you had actually read what I posted. I said that you never take raw data seriously. Raw data needs to be broken down to more detail. As I said, look at shots inside the box as an example instead of total shots when you are looking at conversion to see how good a club is at creating chances.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

That's a bit ridiculous if you had actually read what I posted. I said that you never take raw data seriously. Raw data needs to be broken down to more detail. As I said, look at shots inside the box as an example instead of total shots when you are looking at conversion to see how good a club is at creating chances.
              we watch games with our eyes not on paper..as your love of stats is not in doubt ..i have over 40 years of watching that team in its various guises so feel i have as good an idea when a player has a bad game as any. sure stats can back that up but they are only as good as the person taking the stat..i am sure 2 people could watch the same incident and record it differently i.e an ariel challenge or a 50 /50 tackle.

for instance the Stats on your team has charlie Austen with 95 pace and Yun on 82..now anyone who has seen them both will know that is blatantly not true ..and Ned 77 Pace?

Comment

we watch games with our eyes not on paper..as your love of stats is not in doubt ..i have over 40 years of watching that team in its various guises so feel i have as good an idea when a player has a bad game as any. sure stats can back that up but they are only as good as the person taking the stat..i am sure 2 people could watch the same incident and record it differently i.e an ariel challenge or a 50 /50 tackle.

for instance the Stats on your team has charlie Austen with 95 pace and Yun on 82..now anyone who has seen them both will know that is blatantly not true ..and Ned 77 Pace?
                Lol really? Charlie's card up there is a special one given to pros who play fifa. They get a blue pro card with ridiculous stats. The actual card has 73 pace. Ned was done without my acceptance. I recommended in the 80's and they refused because it would imbalance the game even though it is accurate.

Comment

Also, you can't record a 50/50 aerially any differently than whomever made first contact with the ball. If Ned wins it in the air, he's won a header. That's it, no ifs or buts. The difference there is whether the header reached a teammate or whether it was cleared a significant distance from danger to be considered a 'clearance'. Stats tell you all of this. Our eyes will always deceive us. The numbers don't. As an example of that, when Thierry Henry was at Juventus and signed for arsenal for next to nothing, the reason Juve didn't want him is because they saw with their eyes someone who appeared not to be running particularly fast. What Arsenal saw using the stats was that he was able to maintain a ridiculous pace for an extended period of time which made him a big threat. Using their eyes cost Juve potential millions in value. Stats got Arsenal millions. Same goes for people like Makelele or Flamini, who were undervalued by clubs who didn't use stats.

Comment

Also, you can't record a 50/50 aerially any differently than whomever made first contact with the ball. If Ned wins it in the air, he's won a header. That's it, no ifs or buts. The difference there is whether the header reached a teammate or whether it was cleared a significant distance from danger to be considered a 'clearance'. Stats tell you all of this. Our eyes will always deceive us. The numbers don't. As an example of that, when Thierry Henry was at Juventus and signed for arsenal for next to nothing, the reason Juve didn't want him is because they saw with their eyes someone who appeared not to be running particularly fast. What Arsenal saw using the stats was that he was able to maintain a ridiculous pace for an extended period of time which made him a big threat. Using their eyes cost Juve potential millions in value. Stats got Arsenal millions. Same goes for people like Makelele or Flamini, who were undervalued by clubs who didn't use stats.
                    Stats that don't lie - goals scored, goals against, points on the board. End of. Everything else is just opinion. Is a shot on goal a good shot or just a feeble attempt? A dribble down the pitch, past a couple of players......maybe the guy should have passed sooner?

Comment

Working...
                    X