The one true problem of the side today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    Great understanding, apparently a tackle on the half way line does very little. You realise that means that 1) the defenders have less to do, 2) you can start a quick counter attack from the half way line.
    Henry won't start anything quickly, though no stat in the world will back up that FACT

Comment

Nasser 95. Ok we agree to differ on whether stats are important, I will trust my eyes and experience of watching the game to form an opinion, as I have done for nearly 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
        Then of course there's all the hard work that goes on OFF the ball that mostly goes unnoticed (because people are watching the actual play) but is very important.
        Exactly, these are things statistics can capture and analysts will notice.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
          Henry won't start anything quickly, though no stat in the world will back up that FACT
          Actually the stats do say that. He has the lowest proportion of forward passes which suggests he looks to move sideways or backwards far too much, which just puts our players under pressure. The stats actually did show that.
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

was also interested in your response to hertfood hoops question.

personally, from years of playing Fantasy Baseball, I know some of the more advanced stats engines for baseball are pay-for services. I know Bloomberg (THE name in financial trading) now have Bloomberg Sports for stats generation for baseball and american football. and it was $19.99 a month when I last looked 3-4 years ago.

I reckon its the same for opta or whatever you use, nass. Hence why I always had a sneaking suspicion you had a subscription thru your job or something
            Rangers Til I Die
            follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurQPR_NYC View Post
              was also interested in your response to hertfood hoops question.

personally, from years of playing Fantasy Baseball, I know some of the more advanced stats engines for baseball are pay-for services. I know Bloomberg (THE name in financial trading) now have Bloomberg Sports for stats generation for baseball and american football. and it was $19.99 a month when I last looked 3-4 years ago.

I reckon its the same for opta or whatever you use, nass. Hence why I always had a sneaking suspicion you had a subscription thru your job or something
              Haha you'd sort of be right. I kind of get access to raw data from the work but not really the full set. I just work the data into useful information along with stuff from Whoscored.com

Comment

You can select and skew stats to support almost any argument. They can reveal a lot but without context they're meaningless.

At least we can all agree Henry is awful.

Comment

Aside from the leaky defence, the p*ss poor % of shots on target per game and the ludicrous belief that we belong in the Premier League then yeah, pace is the one true problem.

Comment

Originally posted by très bon don View Post
                    You can select and skew stats to support almost any argument. They can reveal a lot but without context they're meaningless.

At least we can all agree Henry is awful.
                    I agree but that is why context is an element of everything I look at statistically. Even in this case, the position and direction of the passes is necessary but I have looked at all that in the analysis of the central midfielders.

Comment

Working...
                    X