• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramsey's system doesn't work at home

We have to play two up top that's all

Agree with you Bill, 2 up top at home.

Comment

Agree I think we need to have more than Charlie up front, but we can't just resort to hoofing the ball front to back bypassing our
      midfield, like we did yesterday. If we're being pressed like we were maybe 4411, with someone between the lines?

Comment

In previous home games . Luongo and Chery were getting in the box much more..i would be surprised if they spent any time in the box yesterday...out attacks seems to run out of steam at the 18yd line...

Comment

Gotta take each game on it's own merit in my opinion. A formation isn't just about whether we are home or away, it also should be based on how we want to play and how we expect the opposition to play.

I think it was pretty clear from early on yesterday that the system wasn't working. Cherry and Phillips really struggled to influence the game from wide positions and other than the goal, Charlie was pretty quiet. Forest packed the defence and over-ran our midfield (which is criminal when we had 3 in the middle of the park). Our 2 immobile full backs really struggled to push up effectively and take advantage of the fact that Forest weren't committing men forward much. Against a side that sit deep like that you want pacey full backs who can overlap when we have the ball.

Whilst they were helped massively by Rob Greens blunder, Ramsey lost the tactical battle for me yesterday. At home against a side playing so negatively, we need to find a way to break them down better. Then after the red card we have to know how to shut up shop and hold onto the point as a worst case scenario, whilst hoping we might get something on the break or off a set piece.

I suppose we can't complain too much, an inexperienced manager is going to get things wrong at times.
          Last edited by Tarbie; 13-09-2015, 11:52 AM.

Comment

As I said in another thread:

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            4231 works fine so long as the 1 gets enough support from the 3. which is what we've been doing well up until yesterday. So no need to change the formation yet IMO. What bûggered it up was the sending off
            IOW when we're attacking it's like playing with a front 4. People look at the formation and see it like a lone striker but in reality it's not like that. It's fluid.

Comment

Ramsey's system doesn't work at home

One up front at home is too negative, especially when we have so much attacking talent. Austin is isolated in the current system and Chery, Luongo and Phillips struggle to get on the ball and influence proceedings. Charlie excelled alongside Zamora last season because he would seize upon Bobby's flicks and headers. Tozser and Henry cannot play alongside each other in midfield. They're too slow. We lost yesterday because Forest won the midfield battle through more incisive passing and movement.

I'd play:

-----Austin---Polter/Mackie----
              Chery---Luongo---Sandro---Phillips

Much more balance and we might actually see some lively attacking moves rather than the ball being hoofed up the pitch every minute.

Comment

Can chery play up front with charlie, for me polter is just strong and will just try and barge past players without much success,, where chery would cause much more problems for defenders
                You Rsssssss

Comment

Fer right behind Charlie with Chery and Phillips wide and Sandro and Luongo central midfield. That should be alright. Other than the German unit we haven't any options up front. Mackie is a wide player. Or maybe right back......

Comment

The system works everywhere mate. Although i like Mas furhter up the pitch i reckon if he drops back to dm in place of Tozser and Sandro comes in for Henry and then Leroy slots in behind Charlie to provide that bigger body we have a top notch team. Chery and Matty were mostly nullified yesterday but when they get going and start cutting into the middle more and feeding of the bodies of Fer and Charlie we will have a plentiful supply of goals both at home and away

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                      Fer right behind Charlie with Chery and Phillips wide and Sandro and Luongo central midfield. That should be alright. Other than the German unit we haven't any options up front. Mackie is a wide player. Or maybe right back......
                      Second that

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        As I said in another thread:

IOW when we're attacking it's like playing with a front 4. People look at the formation and see it like a lone striker but in reality it's not like that. It's fluid.
                        Sorry have to disagree we have to take the initiative and show intent,by only playing 1 up it
                        puts us on the backfoot and other teams will play much further up the pitch.

Comment

FYI, saw people calling out the stats from yesterday and this is related - they had 21 shots and we had only 9. Here is the thing, only 12 of those were anywhere near the goal or on target while 7 of ours were. Potshots shouldn't be considered and it is a flaw to judge a teams attacking quality on shots without looking deeper into them. Nottingham Forest were definitely not as good as us until the red. Very simply, that changed the game. No real ifs or buts about it, we played fine until we were forced onto the back foot by green.

Also Bill, 4231 does the exact opposite of what you said. Teams tend to be on the front foot with 5 in midfield as opposed to 4. Its why teams in italy play a 352 in general. To give them more tactical and possession control over the game.
                          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                            FYI, saw people calling out the stats from yesterday and this is related - they had 21 shots and we had only 9. Here is the thing, only 12 of those were anywhere near the goal or on target while 7 of ours were. Potshots shouldn't be considered and it is a flaw to judge a teams attacking quality on shots without looking deeper into them. Nottingham Forest were definitely not as good as us until the red. Very simply, that changed the game. No real ifs or buts about it, we played fine until we were forced onto the back foot by green.

Also Bill, 4231 does the exact opposite of what you said. Teams tend to be on the front foot with 5 in midfield as opposed to 4. Its why teams in italy play a 352 in general. To give them more tactical and possession control over the game.
                            "We played fine....." Please tell me where this other Loftus Rd is - I keep going to the wrong place. Sticking up for your team in the pub with mates who go elsewhere is one thing but, within our own four walls we can be honest. We were at best very poor yesterday. One of those classic 'played poorly but got the points'.........until Flapper played his part.

Comment

Yeah i thought we were proper shocking as well, but would and should of won cos of one man. But then you get his polar opposite making sure we dont win.

Comment

Working...
                              X