West Brom launch bid for QPR winger Matt Phillips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Brom launch bid for QPR winger Matt Phillips

mirror reckon wba are back in for him last minute and reckon we are keen to sell.

I will only be annoyed with qpr if we drop our prices last minute. What would be the point of getting to the last minute where we will be hard placed to find playere ourself when we could of done this weeks ago.

Really hope we stick to our guns with our valuations as if we do I reckon we keep our players.

Moment of truth is finally dawning. It is clear Fernandes wants Philips and Austin sold (and ideally Sandro and Green too, as well as off-loading Hoilett and Traore) to raise money/ cut the wage bill. But it seems likely that a few clubs will test our resolve with one or two cheeky-ish offers. Guess all concerned might square the circle by putting adds ons to the transfer fee (eg 7m for Philips but rising to more if he plays a certain number of games, gets x number of caps).

Comment

I don't mind selling them if we get adequate replacements. If we do it indicates that the club is managing things well. If we don't get replacements the board is basically saying 'we want our money back'.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
        Moment of truth is finally dawning. It is clear Fernandes wants Philips and Austin sold (and ideally Sandro and Green too, as well as off-loading Hoilett and Traore) to raise money/ cut the wage bill.
        I dont agree on TF wanting them to be sold, or we would have sold Austin for 12-13mil and Philips for 7-8mil and tripled/doubled our money respectively.

tbh I'd rather Philips stay but 10mil? Def take it, blows too hot and cold for me

Comment

I'd be happy with anything from 6M up. As mentioned get some add-ons and it may go higher. Not sure any would be used on a replacement because he may already be inplace in Chery.

Comment

I'll be happy if he stays! There is a lot more than 8m on the line with promotion.

Edit: It will be a big FAIL for us if the following article turns out to be true - selling our best players at a knock down price just because we got relegated. It would be just what they have been holding out for all along.

It’s now being reported that QPR are set to sell some of their biggest stars over the next 48 hours as they look to reduce their wage bill. The likes of Austin and Phillips have reportedly had a weeks wages taken out of their monthly packet to help bring the wage bill down. Albion now believe that a cut-price deal could be made for Phillips.

http://readwestbrom.com/2015/08/30/a...d-still-be-on/
            Last edited by dsqpr; 31-08-2015, 03:18 AM.
            'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

While you appreciate and understand that we would want to reduce the wage bill the two players we are supposedly looking to sell were bought when we were in the championship so you would like to think they are not our highest earners? Combined I would guess they draw less than Hoillett does a week? Also if we are looking to lower the wage bill whats the talk of offering chaz a new contract if he is there after the window shuts? You would assume after the 2 years he has had for us he would deserve a better deal?

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                I'll be happy if he stays! There is a lot more than 8m on the line with promotion.

Edit: It will be a big FAIL for us if the following article turns out to be true - selling our best players at a knock down price just because we got relegated. It would be just what they have been holding out for all along.

It’s now being reported that QPR are set to sell some of their biggest stars over the next 48 hours as they look to reduce their wage bill. The likes of Austin and Phillips have reportedly had a weeks wages taken out of their monthly packet to help bring the wage bill down. Albion now believe that a cut-price deal could be made for Phillips.

http://readwestbrom.com/2015/08/30/a...d-still-be-on/
                I don't trust this article but at the same time I do believe that our wage bill is unsustainable at Championship level. We have a large squad with a number of players on Premiership money. I'm guessing that Austin, Phillips, Hoilett, Green, Traore, Diakite, Fer, Sandro and Onouha will all be on 40k per week or more. Even with parachute payments, that's tough to swallow as a Championship club averaging 14 to 15k fans a game. I'm sure the club had also expected some of those players to be gone by now when they were planning our spending this summer.
                Last edited by Tarbie; 31-08-2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                  I don't mind selling them if we get adequate replacements. If we do it indicates that the club is managing things well. If we don't get replacements the board is basically saying 'we want our money back'.
                  This .....If we now chuck away everything after the last 3 lge games, then I'll be writing very strongly worded letter

Comment

Correctamondo Davie...if our so called owners n co let us get raped at the last minute without a chance to adequately replace loses I will be calling for their resignations and more!
                    you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

I am certain Traore, Hoillett, Green, Fer and Diakite are on more dough than Austin and Phillips as they were signed while we were in the Premier League. We should look to let all them go and keep the two big players for us as those two look like that can be the difference between challenging and not.

Comment

i'm not sure there's that much in this article (link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ansfer-6352429).

it seems to be purely speculation based on the withholding of wages for specific players, that rumours abound that we're trying to shift hoilett and that some clubs reckon we might sell to raise funds. there might be some truth in it, there might not, but if there is, it's probably more guesswork than clear fact.

austin and phillips won't be the highest earners at the mo', but shifting those players (sandro, diakite etc) will be a lot harder...

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                          Moment of truth is finally dawning. It is clear Fernandes wants Philips and Austin sold (and ideally Sandro and Green too, as well as off-loading Hoilett and Traore) to raise money/ cut the wage bill. But it seems likely that a few clubs will test our resolve with one or two cheeky-ish offers. Guess all concerned might square the circle by putting adds ons to the transfer fee (eg 7m for Philips but rising to more if he plays a certain number of games, gets x number of caps).
                          Cant agree stain mate, the club have already turned down two 'cheeky' bids already for both players from leicester and wba. If they were desperate to sell and ready to break now, why didnt they break back then?
                          Last edited by Kevin Mcleod; 31-08-2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                            Cant agree stain mate, the club have already turned down two 'cheeky' bids already for both players from leicester and wba. If they were desperate to sell and ready to break now, why didnt they break back then?
                            This!!!! And I would add if WBA come in that we say to them that cheeky bid was rejected so time ago and you have wasted time for us where we could have got a replacement in so the £10mil we would have accepted is now £11or 12mil to compensate for fact we got chase around last minute and pay premium as clubs now have us over a barrel take it or leave it

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                              This!!!! And I would add if WBA come in that we say to them that cheeky bid was rejected so time ago and you have wasted time for us where we could have got a replacement in so the £10mil we would have accepted is now £11or 12mil to compensate for fact we got chase around last minute and pay premium as clubs now have us over a barrel take it or leave it
                              Maybe they've called our bluff though. Maybe we need one of our star players sold to balance the books. If so it's a buyers market all of a sudden!

Comment

Working...
                              X