• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STADIUM UPDATE: QPR handed significant boost to new stadium plans

QPR Media Release - Tuesday 27th January 2015

QPR HANDED SIGNIFICANT BOOST TO NEW STADIUM PLANS

QPR Chairman Tony Fernandes welcomes latest boost to new stadium plans,
    as club launches Old Oak regeneration campaign video

QPR Chairman Tony Fernandes has welcomed the comments by Chief of Staff and Deputy Mayor for the Mayor of London - Sir Edward Lister, that Old Oak regeneration should be stadium-led – ‘we would like to see one (a stadium)’ – in a significant boost to the club’s hopes of building a new stadium near Loftus Road.

Old Oak Common has been identified as an area where the club’s new home can be housed, and Fernandes confirmed work continues on what would be a multi-billion pound regeneration project, which will deliver much more than just a stadium, also providing thousands of homes, creating tens of thousands of jobs and providing community facilities.

Today the club launch a new film that shows how new stadia such as the Olympic Park and the Emirates Stadium can deliver regeneration – and why the same can happen at Old Oak if QPR move there.

“This is another important boost to our plans, and to the overall plan of regenerating Old Oak – London’s forgotten quarter,” Fernandes told www.qpr.co.uk.

“I spent last Tuesday at various meetings and I’m more optimistic that things are falling into place.”

The club plans to transform a large area of under-used land at Old Oak into a thriving and sustainable new quarter for London – with a new stadium acting as the catalyst for new homes, businesses, schools, health facilities and jobs for local people.

QPR are working with the three local Boroughs, the Greater London Authority and local groups to ensure that community benefits are at the heart of the club’s scheme.

“We have worked hard and things are moving in the right direction,” Fernandes added.

“What I can say to our fans is that it’s a daily project with daily effort.

“We have a separate team led by Mark Donnelly (QPR’s COO) and Antony Spencer (Stadium Capital Developments), and we have the support of key decision makers, who we will continue to work closely with to make it happen.

“There is a compelling argument for how a new stadium will transform the area.

“I am confident we will find a way to work with the major landowners there, so I remain optimistic that we will find a way to deliver this dream.”

Sir Ed Lister is quoted from an article that will appear in the Financial Times on Wednesday 28th January 2015.

An online version of the article can be found by visiting http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a73f05a6-a...#axzz3Q0qAKJby

Working...
X