Redknapp must go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redknapp must go

I never liked Harry Redknapp. In fact, before his appointment at QPR, I hated him. My view was always the same; a fraud of a manager, a master of media manipulation, a managerial dinosaur blessed with a remarkable ability to deflect blame. I used to think if he were caught red-handed funding terrorists he'd come out with something like 'nah just thought they were triffic, passionate lads to be honest. Couldn't tell they was terrorists, they was wearing balaclavas'. Then there was his footballing record, all that money spent and just a single FA Cup to his name. Two clubs left in financial ruin. Excuses, excuses, excuses. The undisputed lord of BS.

Despite my reservations about his appointment after Hughes' calamitous spell, I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Something within me thought 'Arry might work his magic and engineer a miraculous escape. Perhaps I was brainwashed by the genuflection of the media, which involved cheesy headlines like 'king Harry returns', 'Harry Houdini' being plastered over the back pages. Sure, there were moments when I was optimistic; the home win over Fulham, SWP's winner at Chelsea, the January big-money signings, Remy, Samba, those 'top, top pros'. We'd be OK, wouldn't we? Yet the promises of change on the pitch, the big-money signings and Fernandes' PR campaign weren't enough. In reality, the performances actually deteriorated. We finished bottom, despite 'Arry having told a journalist a few weeks before the end of the season 'we won't finish bottom, stick that in your notepad'. Whoops.

Never mind, it wasn't Redknapp's fault, was it? It was Hughes' squad, after all. Nah, 'Arry would get us back up, he's a '####ing brilliant manager', remember. And, sure, that's what he ended up doing. To his credit he bought well in the summer and got rid of a lot of the rubbish, Mbia, Granero, Diakite, to name but a few. He assembled a perfect Championship squad, blending experience with youth, brawn with flair. I thought we'd walk the league in the same way Newcastle did. Yet it wasn't to be. Leicester and Burnley surged ahead, despite having much smaller wage budgets. Plus, the football was bad. Really bad. Admittedly we won lots of games, which of course was satisfying, but it was possibly the most tedious campaign I've ever experienced in many years of supporting the Rs. The football was unimaginative, one-paced, uninspiring and frustrating. The result was a passionless atmosphere - people around me in the Ellerslie Road Stand seemed more interested in getting up for a mid-half pie and chips than watching the game and, at times, I couldn't blame them. Without wishing to sound like a negative misery guts, the truth was there were only a couple of moments that got me truly excited across that whole season, both of which came in the play-offs (I'm sure you can guess which events they were).

In the end, I felt we were tremendously lucky to end up in the Premiership. For me, promotion was achieved in spite of rather than because of Redknapp. Indeed, it was Clint Hill who made the critical tactical decision which got us into the Premiership. It was Gary O'Neil who chose to get himself sent off and 'take one for the team'. Not Redknapp, who by the end was looking a tired, frail old man who had run out of ideas. In fact, prior to that Play-Off Final I thought to myself - 'you know what, if we lose, at least Redknapp can go and we can start afresh'. I bet I wasn't the only one who had similar thoughts.

But of course we did win that match thanks to King Bobby's outstanding finish - and, caught up in the elation of that moment, I was once again prepared to give Redknapp another chance. Now he's got the opportunity to prepare his own Premiership squad, I thought to myself. Build solid foundations, establish QPR as a PL club. Invest in young, hungry players, play a bit of attractive, entertaining football. I was pleased with the signings of Mutch, Fer and Caulker. In fact, when I looked at the back of the matchday programme on the opening day of the campaign, I thought 'we've actually got a decent side here'.

Yet the performances this season, on the most part, have been poor. Yes, OK, we've secured a few wins at home, but the away form has been absolutely diabolical - frankly, inexcusable. If we hadn't invested in the squad I would have perhaps understood, but I believe we do have quality, certainly compared to the likes of Palace, Hull, West Brom, Burnley and Aston Villa. The team is underperforming, and I blame Redknapp. He's an old-style manager who relies on motivational skills rather than tactical astuteness. I'm afraid football has moved on. He seems incapable of coaching players to be 'better'. Instead, every transfer window he'll sign one of his ageing Pompey/Spurs favourites who'll subsequently get injured, providing him with another excuse in his post-match press conferences. With Redknapp, it's like a never-ending cycle of excuses, dodgy deals, mind-numbing football, unimaginative tactics and injured, ageing 'top, top pros'. Unless it stops, we will go down. TF needs to be brave and get rid of him before it's too late.

Tonight just about summed him up. 2-0 down at half-time and he decides to leave it as it is. We go 3-0 down and only then does he make attacking substitutions. To put the icing on the cake, he claims that 'we played well' in the post-match interview! Everton were poor, yet brushed us aside with ease!

The fact is that Redknapp's PL win percentage with QPR is below 20%. I'm sorry, but that is dreadful. I can sort of understand where the 'pro-Redknappers' are coming from - 'we need stability' etc - but it's obvious that he doesn't have what it takes to save us from relegation. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but Redknapp must go.
    Last edited by The Godfather; 16-12-2014, 01:52 AM.

Absolute nonsense....will you be on here next week if we win?

Comment

W
      Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
      I never liked Harry Redknapp. In fact, before his appointment at QPR, I hated him. My view was always the same; a fraud of a manager, a master of media manipulation, a managerial dinosaur blessed with a remarkable ability to deflect blame. I used to think if he were caught red-handed funding terrorists he'd come out with something like 'nah just thought they were triffic, passionate lads to be honest. Couldn't tell they was terrorists, they was wearing balaclavas'. Then there was his footballing record, all that money spent and just a single FA Cup to his name. Two clubs left in financial ruin. Excuses, excuses, excuses. The undisputed lord of BS.

Despite my reservations about his appointment after Hughes' calamitous spell, I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Something within me thought 'Arry might work his magic and engineer a miraculous escape. Perhaps I was brainwashed by the genuflection of the media, which involved cheesy headlines like 'king Harry returns', 'Harry Houdini' being plastered over the back pages. Sure, there were moments when I was optimistic; the home win over Fulham, SWP's winner at Chelsea, the January big-money signings, Remy, Samba, those 'top, top pros'. We'd be OK, wouldn't we? Yet the promises of change on the pitch, the big-money signings and Fernandes' PR campaign weren't enough. In reality, the performances actually deteriorated. We finished bottom, despite 'Arry having told a journalist a few weeks before the end of the season 'we won't finish bottom, stick that in your notepad'. Whoops.

Never mind, it wasn't Redknapp's fault, was it? It was Hughes' squad, after all. Nah, 'Arry would get us back up, he's a '####ing brilliant manager', remember. And, sure, that's what he ended up doing. To his credit he bought well in the summer and got rid of a lot of the rubbish, Mbia, Granero, Diakite, to name but a few. He assembled a perfect Championship squad, blending experience with youth, brawn with flair. I thought we'd walk the league in the same way Newcastle did. Yet it wasn't to be. Leicester and Burnley surged ahead, despite having much smaller wage budgets. Plus, the football was bad. Really bad. Admittedly we won lots of games, which of course was satisfying, but it was possibly the most tedious campaign I've ever experienced in many years of supporting the Rs. The football was unimaginative, one-paced, uninspiring and frustrating. The result was a passionless atmosphere - people around me in the Ellerslie Road Stand seemed more interested in getting up for a mid-half pie and chips than watching the game and, at times, I couldn't blame them. Without wishing to sound like a negative misery guts, the truth was there were only a couple of moments that got me truly excited across that whole season, both of which came in the play-offs (I'm sure you can guess which events they were).

In the end, I felt we were tremendously lucky to end up in the Premiership. For me, promotion was achieved in spite of rather than because of Redknapp. Indeed, it was Clint Hill who made the critical tactical decision which got us into the Premiership. It was Gary O'Neil who chose to get himself sent off and 'take one for the team'. Not Redknapp, who by the end was looking a tired, frail old man who had run out of ideas. In fact, prior to that Play-Off Final I thought to myself - 'you know what, if we lose, at least Redknapp can go and we can start afresh'. I bet I wasn't the only one who had similar thoughts.

But of course we did win that match thanks to King Bobby's outstanding finish - and, caught up in the elation of that moment, I was once again prepared to give Redknapp another chance. Now he's got the opportunity to prepare his own Premiership squad, I thought to myself. Build solid foundations, establish QPR as a PL club. Invest in young, hungry players, play a bit of attractive, entertaining football. I was pleased with the signings of Mutch, Fer and Caulker. In fact, when I looked at the back of the matchday programme on the opening day of the campaign, I thought 'we've actually got a decent side here'.

Yet the performances this season, on the most part, have been poor. Yes, OK, we've secured a few wins at home, but the away form has been absolutely diabolical - frankly, inexcusable. If we hadn't invested in the squad I would have perhaps understood, but I believe we do have quality, certainly compared to the likes of Palace, Hull, West Brom, Burnley and Aston Villa. The team is underperforming, and I blame Redknapp. He's an old-style manager who relies on motivational skills rather than tactical astuteness. I'm afraid football has moved on. He seems incapable of coaching players to be 'better'. Instead, every transfer window he'll sign one of his ageing Pompey/Spurs favourites who'll subsequently get injured, providing him with another excuse in his post-match press conferences. With Redknapp, it's like a never-ending cycle of excuses, dodgy deals, mind-numbing football, unimaginative tactics and injured, ageing 'top, top pros'. Unless it stops, we will go down. TF needs to be brave and get rid of him before it's too late.

Tonight just about summed him up. 2-0 down at half-time and he decides to leave it as it is. We go 3-0 down and only then does he make attacking substitutions. To put the icing on the cake, he claims that 'we played well' in the post-match interview! Everton were poor, yet brushed us aside with ease!

The fact is that Redknapp's PL win percentage with QPR is below 20%. I'm sorry, but that is dreadful. I can sort of understand where the 'pro-Redknappers' are coming from - 'we need stability' etc - but it's obvious that he doesn't have what it takes to save us from relegation. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but Redknapp must go.
      I agree with everything you say, and really think we need a new face in charge now.
      Tony and the board need to grow some balls now and have a good think in the next few weeks.
      We will get relegated this season with Redknapp, just gotta take a chance and change it now.

Comment

Originally posted by HoopDoggyDogg View Post
        W

I agree with everything you say, and really think we need a new face in charge now.
        Tony and the board need to grow some balls now and have a good think in the next few weeks.
        We will get relegated this season with Redknapp, just gotta take a chance and change it now.
        zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

What a post, but completely the wrong time to post it. I thought we played well, and went 2-0 down to a quality strike and a free kick - both caused by individual mistakes. 3rd goal - also poor mistake. Apart from the 3 incidents, I thought we looked fluid and imaginative, we pressed and we always looked to move forward. I didnt feel we were uncomfortable at any stage, despite the scoreline.

I'm optimistic tonight, which is generally not how I normally feel after an away defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
            zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
            I have my own opinion so don't care about yours towards me!!

Comment

Absolute nonsense....will you be on here next week if we win?
              I'm intrigued by your dismissal of my long, detailed and thought out post as being 'absolute nonsense'. Which parts do you find 'nonsensical'? To answer your question, I will, yes. I actually think we will beat WBA and possibly Palace. However, I don't believe it will be enough to keep us up because of our abysmal away form, as well as the fact that after the Palace match we have a run of difficult fixtures at home - Swansea, United, Southampton, Tottenham, Everton, if my memory is correct.
              Last edited by The Godfather; 16-12-2014, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoopDoggyDogg View Post
                I have my own opinion so don't care about yours towards me!!
                I normally agree with things you post but to be honest to agree to get rid of Harry is just ridiculous and I am just bored of people championing it after every away defeat.

Will wait for your verdict on Harry when win next win again

Comment

Once again, people hop on the blame redknapp bandwagon when we lose away from home. The fact that the lowest placed side in the league we have played was Everton should highlight the difficulty of our away start. In fact, there is only 1 team who we have yet to play away from home in the top half of the home table and that is man city. Everyone, including Everton we have played is in the top half of the home table, with the only exception being Tottenham. When Redknapp was playing a solid defensively team with the aim of getting a point against the big teams, he gets marauded on here. When he changes the style and panders to the armchair managers and loses because it clearly could never work, HE and not the players get the brunt of the blame. With us not having a set of consecutive home matches, how can he constantly play Bobby Zamora at this point of the season like people want him to. We can say he should have bought a Zamora replacement but who honestly thought that we would use him as well as we have. SO come January, I believe Redknapp will get someone in his style of play to replace him away from home.

Next is the fact that we have played some - and I highlight the use of the word some - teams as things change for them. Look at Spurs when they started the season and how well they were playing, Man Utd as they had made their Marquee signings, Southampton near the top of the table, West Ham during the turn of their renaissance, Newcastle during their unstoppable winning run. Yes, the performances haven't been great but to blame that on Redknapp when no matter what he does, we can't win perhaps that is the wrong thing to focus on. Perhaps we have to look at the poor performances on the pitch during those matches.

At Tottenham, our defense and in particular Isla were poor, at Man Utd it was Ferdinand, the same can be said for Southampton, West Ham was the entire team being poor, we actually played well against Chelsea and deserved more, same goes for Newcastle, at Swansea Barton was disappointing but needed recovery time from his injury and today, Dunne and Green had off games while Mutch and Phillips were purely unacceptable. So perhaps look at them rather than the manager. Everyone during the match when we concede will go and blame a player and they are right to, it is individual mistakes that cost us, not the manager. All I hear is Barton misplaced this, Green miskicked that, X should have defended Y better. Fair enough, but then the same people go to blame the manager for individual errors? It just seems really harsh to me.

People complain about no attacking, we had more shots than Everton by four and only one less on target than them. We gave away unnecessary free kicks around the box and that cost us because not only did they score from one, but it broke up the rhythm when it happened. The manager didn't concede those fouls, the players did. Thats my opinion anyways
                  "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

We Win At Home = Silence
                    We Lose Away = Harry Out
                    Every single week so far this season.
                    Never ever see the people so vocal after away games saying anything positive after the home games, so it shows its just purely based on personal opinion of a man, not a manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                      We Win At Home = Silence
                      We Lose Away = Harry Out
                      Never ever see the people so vocal after away games saying anything positive after the home games, so it shows its just purely based on personal opinion of a man, not a manager.
                      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I normally agree with things you post but to be honest to agree to get rid of Harry is just ridiculous and I am just bored of people championing it after every away defeat.

Will wait for your verdict on Harry when win next win again
                        I am on the fence mate, I just feel Harry doesnt have the passion anymore, and you can't expect your squad to fight if you can't do the same.
                        Not just blaming Harry as there's a lot of players here that need to offer much more than they have.

Just f*cks me off at moment mate.

Comment

We Win At Home = Silence
                          We Lose Away = Harry Out
                          Fed up with it mate..people on here who lambast Harry obviously know nothing about small teams in the top division

Comment

We Win At Home = Silence
                            We Lose Away = Harry Out
                            Great post, 100% correct.
                            Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                            Pawel Wszolek - 6
                            Luke Freeman - 6
                            Matt Smith - 6
                            Ebere Eze - 4
                            Joel Lynch - 3
                            Tomer Hemed - 3
                            Toni Leistner - 2
                            Massimo Luongo- 2
                            Angel Rangel - 2
                            Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                            Geoff Cameron - 1
                            Aramide Oteh - 1
                            Jake Bidwell - 1
                            Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

You start your post with "I never liked Harry Redknapp." Doesn't strike someone as the most objective of posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X