Ferdinand and Green have to be dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    Out of interest who was our player on the guy that scored as although for me Green should have done better there is no way that player should have been able to turn and get a shot off. Our player should have been right up his a rse and his only option should have been to give it to the edge of the box not flip it over his shoulder. sloppy goal all around
    Ferdinand i believe. But Caulker was no better today.
    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
    Pawel Wszolek - 6
    Luke Freeman - 6
    Matt Smith - 6
    Ebere Eze - 4
    Joel Lynch - 3
    Tomer Hemed - 3
    Toni Leistner - 2
    Massimo Luongo- 2
    Angel Rangel - 2
    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
    Geoff Cameron - 1
    Aramide Oteh - 1
    Jake Bidwell - 1
    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
      What the hell did Green do wrong today??
      Christ, some people!
      Watch MOTD think you might change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyranger View Post
        Watch MOTD think you might change your mind.
        I watched the game! I missed the first goal but he could do naff all about the second. If he made a mistake for the first goal it certainly was the only mistake he made all game.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja View Post
          I watched the game! I missed the first goal but he could do naff all about the second. If he made a mistake for the first goal it certainly was the only mistake he made all game.
          Watch it again always get a better perspective if you watch it a few times.

Comment

Just got to laugh really you are either a relative or his number one fan. First goal went straight through him from very narrow angle, simply not good enough
            Oh please, you can't be serious, watch it again and look at the travelling ball. The speed it was moving made it a very difficult save. He did his job and covered the near post.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

This is one of the most ridiculous threads so far. Just to point out, I have just watched match of the day and even the pundits said that caulker did everything a defender is expected to do for the second. He was right on his man and even put his face on the line. Apparently though if you don't die for your club, you are not doing well enough. As for Robbo, he had one of his best matches for us. Kept us close to the opposition with excellent saves, but people want a scapegoat and if it isn't ferdinand, it will be green unfortunately. And ricky, i hope you got a better perspective watching it on match of the day because it looked like a top goal from any angle.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Like i said elsewhere could have done better for the first goal imo...but made up for it in saves throughout the game. Top keeper that is entitled to make the odd mistake.

Comment

Seaman used to make mistakes some of them howlers, went on to be one of the countries better keepers

Although watching on a dodgy stream here in Bangkok it looked to me like Green had a reasonable game but having said that it would be good to get a look at Macarthy before the FA cup

Comment

If you were analsying both goals you would look at several things, loss of possession and how quickly after that did you regain defensive shape. The angle of the attempt, i.e. how much of the goal did the keeper need to protect. Then the keeper position and at what position and height did the ball cross the goal line.

First goal, possession initially lost by Ferdinand but defense regained shape quickly so should have been able to defend it. Problem started when Phillips allowed the scorer to make a run inside him untracked, at that point it's down to the keeper. Very narrow angle so keeper probably has no more than four feet to protect and any professional keeper would be disappointed to get beaten from there.

Second goal few minor errors defensively leading up to it with players not tight enough and their angles and distances not quite right compared to their team mates positions. Ends up with a ball into the box, where the attacking player controls the ball giving himself the opportunity to shoot. To be fair not a lot Caulker can do other than hold his head for the possibility of high boot, but unlikely to get it. Then as above need to look where the ball crosses the goal line, it's approximately one meter right of centre and crosses the line at between 4 and 5 foot. Not right in the corner or high into the net. Green got beaten because a, he was flat footed and b, because he is relatively small for a keeper and doesn't have the best spring. As stated earlier in the thread a bigger better keeper would have got to it, as I have said many times won't go down as a mistake from Green but he never makes a save he shouldn't, yes some look ok but if he missed them questions would be asked.

Would ask one more question how many times does Green put himself in a position where he could assist the team but where it might make him look bad, answer never. He rarely comes for crosses and only then when there is little traffic, first goal last week being an example, floated ball into the box lands in the six yard box but he stays on his line when most keepers would come, result goal conceeded.

Fact is we have conceeded 13 goals in 6 games and that's not all down to the defense and if that continues relegation is a certainty.
                    Last edited by rickyranger; 28-09-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

If you were analsying both goals you would look at several things, loss of possession and how quickly after that did you regain defensive shape. The angle of the attempt, i.e. how much of the goal did the keeper need to protect. Then the keeper position and at what position and height did the ball cross the goal line.

First goal, possession initially lost by Ferdinand but defense regained shape quickly so should have been able to defend it. Problem started when Phillips allowed the scorer to make a run inside him untracked, at that point it's down to the keeper. Very narrow angle so keeper probably has no more than four feet to protect and any professional keeper would be disappointed to get beaten from there.

Second goal few minor errors defensively leading up to it with players not tight enough and their angles and distances not quite right compared to their team mates positions. Ends up with a ball into the box, where the attacking player controls the ball giving himself the opportunity to shoot. To be fair not a lot Caulker can do other than hold his head for the possibility of high boot, but unlikely to get it. Then as above need to look where the ball crosses the goal line, it's approximately one meter right of centre and crosses the line at between 4 and 5 foot. Not right in the corner or high into the net. Green got beaten because a, he was flat footed and b, because he is relatively small for a keeper and doesn't have the best spring. As stated earlier in the thread a bigger better keeper would have got to it, as I have said many times won't go down as a mistake from Green but he never makes a save he shouldn't, yes some look ok but if he missed them questions would be asked.

Would ask one more question how many times does Green put himself in a position where he could assist the team but where it might make him look bad, answer never. He rarely comes for crosses and only then when there is little traffic, first goal last week being an example, floated ball into the box lands in the six yard box but he stays on his line when most keepers would come, result goal conceeded.

Fact is we have conceeded 13 goals in 6 games and that's all down to the defense and if that continues relegation is a certainty.
                      Good summary Ricky. I said yesterday based on first impressions from being at the game that thought Green should have done better with both but few on here said that was rubbish so thought I would take a look at the replays last night and I am even more sure he should have done better. First goes through him (yes it was hit hard but so what) and the second as I said Green is flat footed and has feet planted giving him no chance of getting over. As said at start of a thread a top keeper gets at least a hand to it even if it goes in but Green got nothing on the ball.

The keeper is in goal to stop the ball weather it is hit hard, soft, moves in the air or is deflected some goals are unstoppable neither of yesterdays were in that category good goals yes unstoppable no chance

Only thing I would disagree with is Caulker for me he can do more with Pelle for the second. He should have been touch tight therefore not giving him the chance to turn and get a shot in. The only place Pelle should have been going with that ball was towards the edge of the box or laying it off but at this level give a player space or time and they punish you.

Comment

If anyone is still in doubt about green and the first goal watch the first Chelsea goal yesterday, Willian has an effort from a slightly better angle than the southampton goal which Guzan still saves fairly comfortably and whilst a decent save is nothing fantastic. As I say Green never makes a save he shouldn't.

Comment

If you say so
                          By your way of thinking then, I'm guessing Forster was at fault for Austin's goal? I mean, it was right at him right?

Pathetic to blame green for that. Some people just looking for someone to blame. Green has faults granted. He needs to command his area more and his distribution sometimes is poor. He slows the game down when there's often a good chance of a break, but none of that is relevant to the goals yesterday. Green had a solid game and made some solid stops. End of.

Comment

Seems you share Redknapps opinion of Green, oh well it's all about opinions, but let's see how it all ends up shall we.

Comment

Seems you share Redknapps opinion of Green, oh well it's all about opinions, but let's see how it all ends up shall we.
                              Plenty think the same. It's probably an evenly divided split.

Look, I'm over critical of players at times. If someone's at fault I'll slate them, but I honestly don't see why Green would get the blame for anything from yesterday.

At times I agree he's been poor. Far too many conceded for my liking from situations where he should be out taking control of his box, but yesterday was not an occasion where I thought he was to blame.

Opinions will always be divided on him. It's unfortunate for him as he's a decent keeper on the whole but we all know he's always Got an absolute clanger in him just waiting to be dropped.

Comment

Appreciate all opinions, me never been a fan of Greens so bias, but surely even those that favour Green must think it's time to give McCarthy a go, just seems another Redknapp favourite selection.
                                Last edited by rickyranger; 28-09-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X