No announcement yet.

Charlie Austin - should he be dropped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All teams have trouble signing strikers and even then they don't always work out. Harry did try to sign strikers (Defoe and Borini). There were also dozens of rumours about potential strikers (the Icelandic guy and the young French guy). Some of these rumours must have had some truth in them. Fans might not be too happy with Harry as a manager, but to claim that he did not try to sign more strikers is unfair.

Comment

On the question of Defoe, he has only just returned to Toronto from London and they are not sure when he will be fit enough to play. They seem to think it is unlikely he will be still with Toronto after the end of the season (which I think is January).
      http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/jerm...o-fc-1.2774618

Comment

This banging on about lack of service it's in Charlies hands he needs to play further forward take on the centre halves ie play on their shoulder make them work give the M/Fs something to aim for , as I said earlier study Peter Crouch watch BZs 20 minute stints all good strikers make runs all but only get picked out very few times and make those count , Charlie can make a good centre forward but not a great one he still needs to learn from other players

Comment

Originally posted by Joon View Post
          I named Hugo Almeida as a response to your post, since it is rumored that HR wants to sign him. I also mentioned the other free agents that were/are available, who were also listed by the Mirror (and I posted) earlier.

As for strikers from other leagues, I guess I can name some, but that would just sidetrack my point, that HR was not decisive enough in looking for and signing a striker over the summer.

Are you trying to say that HR really, badly wanted to sign a striker, but simply could not because there were no decent strikers available?
          That is so lame..............relying on an out of contract player that the Daily Mirror say he wants to sign (at a time when there is no point in signing him) and then listing other free agents that agin, cannot be signed. We are talking about signing a striker in the window, in the last 48 hours after Remy left. Clearly it was going to be Defoe and we got shafted by his Club, Borini was the fall back and we went the whole 9 yards to do it, only to get stiffed by the greedy player - and well done to the Club for telling him to take a hike. Oh, and you guess you could name some random strikers that would support your point? No chance because in the time we had left, the Club did all they could to get the right sort of striker and ran out of time. Your posts smell of supporting panic buys, and then of signing out of contract players that, 1) are out of contract for a reason and 2) we couldn't sign after the window anyway because of the squad rules in place. Hence why your posts are moaning for moaning sake and not supported by any sort of reasoning
          #standuptocancer
          #inyourfacecancer

Comment

why charlie austin should not be dropped

lets compare barry bridges in 68-69 with charlie austin in current days

well bridges was 27 years of age and had played for england and his goal ratio was amazing in any other first division side bridges would have twenty to twenty five goals in a season

but at qpr this incedibley gifted goal machine only scored eight goals

the reason was that we as a team we didnt put teams under pressure,and as the season progressed we
            slowly got slaughterd

now lets look at austin hes in a team that create almost no chances at all and that is something that redknapp has got to address,

the problem is fairly obvious we need to create a slow build up from the back to give the players time to receive the ball,if we create nothing then we wont score goals and we will get relegated
            Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Thanks for that Ted... haha

Comment

for all those saying he should be dropped here is one very good reason why he shouldn't - who the hell will replace him?
                Zamora is not fit to play 90 mins let alone regularly;
                Vargas is an attacker not a centre forward.

Thanks to poor pre-season squad rebuilding and believing that Remy would stay, QPR only have 2 centre forwards to pick from. Even if Remy had stayed, QPR would still have needed another striker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
                  That is so lame..............relying on an out of contract player that the Daily Mirror say he wants to sign (at a time when there is no point in signing him) and then listing other free agents that agin, cannot be signed. We are talking about signing a striker in the window, in the last 48 hours after Remy left. Clearly it was going to be Defoe and we got shafted by his Club, Borini was the fall back and we went the whole 9 yards to do it, only to get stiffed by the greedy player - and well done to the Club for telling him to take a hike. Oh, and you guess you could name some random strikers that would support your point? No chance because in the time we had left, the Club did all they could to get the right sort of striker and ran out of time. Your posts smell of supporting panic buys, and then of signing out of contract players that, 1) are out of contract for a reason and 2) we couldn't sign after the window anyway because of the squad rules in place. Hence why your posts are moaning for moaning sake and not supported by any sort of reasoning
                  So in other words, you are saying that since I do not have a good list of my own to present to you offhand, that it somehow absolves HR (and staff) of of the responsibility of finding and signing the players we needed during the window? Yeah, very logical.

The fact that Remy left us at the last-minute did leave HR only 48 hours or so to sign a replacement, but was it really that hard to predict that Remy could leave? I was one of the many people on here who wanted Remy to stay, but there was always a chance that he may get signed by a big club. Apparently HR had Defoe and Borini in mind, and yes the circumstances of failing to sign those two players is understandable, but failing to sign ANY viable strikers in that time was still just that, a failure.

As a result of said failure, we ended up with only two real strikers, Charlie Austin and Bobby Zamora, and we all know that Zamora cannot be expected to play all the time. So effectively, we were left with ONE reliable (?) striker in Charlie Austin. Who is responsible for this situation? You can blame Remy and Borini all you want, but how is that constructive? It was ultimately HR's responsibility to prevent this type of situation. If it was obvious to an average football fan like me that we would be critically short of at least one reliable striker, it should have been much more clear to HR and staff.

You are ridiculing the idea of making a "panic buy", but a panic buy (as long as he was not signed at great cost and/or for high wages) would have certainly been better than the ZERO that we got.

Vargas was a great signing, and it may be possible that he may really step up in a big way, but he is NOT A STRIKER, yet. Austin may adjust and find his form, but he has never done that at this level before, and so far it does not look good for him. We could have decreased our risk a lot by signing a striker, panic buy or not.

HR may have considered and perhaps even contacted potential signings other than Defoe and Borini, but ultimately he must have decided against making a last minute signing. It was his responsibility and it is the most natural thing that he will be criticized or praised for his decisions.

You don't see me writing posts to the effect of "fire Redknapp now" or "drop Charlie Austin now". What I am saying is that HR made a mistake in not signing a striker, and HE is the one person who needs to take responsibility for that decision.

While I rarely talk about it, I am quite sick of HR's constant denial of responsibility and blaming of players for the team's poor performances, he has been doing that for the past two seasons. Sure, sometimes there was some truth to what he said, and sometimes it was perhaps what the players needed to hear. What makes it wrong is that I do not recall HR actually owning up to any of his own failures, and that is a trait of this manager that I severely dislike. I've seen a lot of people on here constantly whitewash HR's mistakes and failures that also rubs me the wrong way. I guess you are doing more of the same?

Feel free to praise HR for his decision to NOT sign any strikers in the given time, just don't expect me to share your sentiments while our goals dry up.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                    for all those saying he should be dropped here is one very good reason why he shouldn't - who the hell will replace him?
                    Zamora is not fit to play 90 mins let alone regularly;
                    Vargas is an attacker not a centre forward.

Thanks to poor pre-season squad rebuilding and believing that Remy would stay, QPR only have 2 centre forwards to pick from. Even if Remy had stayed, QPR would still have needed another striker.
                    Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Joon View Post
                      So in other words, you are saying that since I do not have a good list of my own to present to you offhand, that it somehow absolves HR (and staff) of of the responsibility of finding and signing the players we needed during the window? Yeah, very logical.

The fact that Remy left us at the last-minute did leave HR only 48 hours or so to sign a replacement, but was it really that hard to predict that Remy could leave? I was one of the many people on here who wanted Remy to stay, but there was always a chance that he may get signed by a big club. Apparently HR had Defoe and Borini in mind, and yes the circumstances of failing to sign those two players is understandable, but failing to sign ANY viable strikers in that time was still just that, a failure.

As a result of said failure, we ended up with only two real strikers, Charlie Austin and Bobby Zamora, and we all know that Zamora cannot be expected to play all the time. So effectively, we were left with ONE reliable (?) striker in Charlie Austin. Who is responsible for this situation? You can blame Remy and Borini all you want, but how is that constructive? It was ultimately HR's responsibility to prevent this type of situation. If it was obvious to an average football fan like me that we would be critically short of at least one reliable striker, it should have been much more clear to HR and staff.

You are ridiculing the idea of making a "panic buy", but a panic buy (as long as he was not signed at great cost and/or for high wages) would have certainly been better than the ZERO that we got.

Vargas was a great signing, and it may be possible that he may really step up in a big way, but he is NOT A STRIKER, yet. Austin may adjust and find his form, but he has never done that at this level before, and so far it does not look good for him. We could have decreased our risk a lot by signing a striker, panic buy or not.

HR may have considered and perhaps even contacted potential signings other than Defoe and Borini, but ultimately he must have decided against making a last minute signing. It was his responsibility and it is the most natural thing that he will be criticized or praised for his decisions.

You don't see me writing posts to the effect of "fire Redknapp now" or "drop Charlie Austin now". What I am saying is that HR made a mistake in not signing a striker, and HE is the one person who needs to take responsibility for that decision.

While I rarely talk about it, I am quite sick of HR's constant denial of responsibility and blaming of players for the team's poor performances, he has been doing that for the past two seasons. Sure, sometimes there was some truth to what he said, and sometimes it was perhaps what the players needed to hear. What makes it wrong is that I do not recall HR actually owning up to any of his own failures, and that is a trait of this manager that I severely dislike. I've seen a lot of people on here constantly whitewash HR's mistakes and failures that also rubs me the wrong way. I guess you are doing more of the same?

Feel free to praise HR for his decision to NOT sign any strikers in the given time, just don't expect me to share your sentiments while our goals dry up.
                      I agree with many of your points about Remy. whilst some of us wanted him to stay and hoped he would, it was always most likely that he would leave given his release clause.
                      Redknapp should have signed another striker and QPR could have offered Remy a new contract without a clause (or at least one with a proper value on him) in an attempt to gage whether he wanted to stay or not.

Most of us did not believe he would stay beyond the window closing, yet Redknapp and Fernandes appeared to have buried their heads in the sand believing he would not leave them in the lurch.

I guess far too many thought it's only June, the window doesn't open until 1st July; it's only July and the window closes on 31st August (1st September).

Well now the window has closed and QPR have
                      Austin - still to find his feet at this level
                      Zamora - never going to be a regular or complete a match for QPR at this stage of his career
                      Vargas - not even a centre forward
                      and, er, that's about it folks until January. Here's hoping that QPR are not cut adrift again like 2012/13.

Comment

Really there are no excuses. Forwards score you goals and Harry didn't address it properly. Niko is here because he will weigh in with 6-8 goals this season but to think the likes of Phillips/Taarabt/Hoilett/Fer are going to score what we need is madness. Niko was a last minute piece of business because Harry didn't buy at least 1 striker sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Really there are no excuses. Forwards score you goals and Harry didn't address it properly. Niko is here because he will weigh in with 6-8 goals this season but to think the likes of Phillips/Taarabt/Hoilett/Fer are going to score what we need is madness. Niko was a last minute piece of business because Harry didn't buy at least 1 striker sooner!
                          Niko was no way a last minute piece of business because Harry didn't buy at least1 striker sooner , Niko was told by the club after the play off lose weight or forget it and was monitored all summer

Comment

Get him to work on his first touch in my opinion. He "traps" the ball from one side of the park to the other.

Comment

Isn`t our 25 man squad full?
                              Just wondering on the rules of bringing players in in Jan, would we have to sell/loan a player in order to bring in a new striker? (yet again can`t be A rsed looking for myself)
                              Or can we just drop a player from the squad?
                              Any thoughts on who should get the chop?
                              Seems the misty eyed sentiments behind keeping Bobby have backfired, he`s taking up a vital squad place right now and for just a few minutes here and there.
                              I know he`s a legend for scoring that goal but looks a bit silly right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Midgeyboy View Post
                                Isn`t our 25 man squad full?
                                Just wondering on the rules of bringing players in in Jan, would we have to sell/loan a player in order to bring in a new striker? (yet again can`t be A rsed looking for myself)
                                Or can we just drop a player from the squad?
                                Any thoughts on who should get the chop?
                                Seems the misty eyed sentiments behind keeping Bobby have backfired, he`s taking up a vital squad place right now and for just a few minutes here and there.
                                I know he`s a legend for scoring that goal but looks a bit silly right now.
                                After the closing of the summer transfer window each Premier League club had a deadline of 5pm on 3 September to submit a squad list containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" (HGP) criteria.
                                The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be home grown. A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
                                Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window. Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2014/15 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1993.
                                Each club squad list is attached below as well as an additional list of each club’s registered Under-21 players who are eligible over and above the squad limit of 25 players.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/n...2014-2015.html
                                Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                                Work Best When Open...
                                @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Working...
                                X