But where will the goals come from ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    I'm saying they are capable of doing so. Also, you choose to ignore the players that have scored. Mutch got 7 in 26 starts last season. also, Caulker only really came to the for last season and scored 5 goals and this season has looked increasingly likely to score more for us. Fer got 3 last year for a poor side and got 12 in 47 for FC Twente, and you will recall his crossbar shot against sunderland. Kranjcar is a known goalscoring threat and hoilett is looking more and more dangerous. Phillips is still a good goalscorer and Ilsa scored in every season he was at Udinese, not scoring at Juventus because he was basically a sub for them. Ned always looks dangerous from corners. even traore got a couple last season. When I average the career goals per game of outfield 11 of ours, we could see scoring of up to 60 or so goals over this season if everyone plays to their potential (not saying they necessarily will). Point being that we are more than capable of scoring with everyone in this team, unlike last season where we looked devoid of goalscorers.
    I not only hope you're right but I want you to be right!!! Realistically, mind, we're likely to nick points from 1-0 and 2-1 wins this side of January. Niko wasn't a proven goal scorer last year; I hope, if selected, he pitches in. I'll believe it when I see it. Three to five from Fer is what we can probably expect. The same at best from Barton. And similar from the defence combined. That's at best fifteen goals from six players. Seven including Sandro who won't score period. Goal wise it all probably comes down to Charlie and whoever plays next to him or behind him. And to wing men like Phillips and Holliett ought be encouraged to seek double figures. I've seen nothing to suggest that's likely from either of them. But, as I say, if you're right I'll be one happy R.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
      Charlie austin last season 21 goals in 33 appearances
      Vargas was mostly played on the wing at Napoli and Valencia. In 2011 when played upfront by universidad de chile he scored 25 in 44.
      Mutch scored 7 in 31 last year and finished Cardiff stop scorer.
      Caulker scored 5 in 38 for Cardiff. Both were in a relegation team.
      Kranjčar scored 4 in 13 at dynamo Kiev.
      Matt Phillips scored 5 in 6 whilst on loan to Sheffield United and 11 in 67 in his last two seasons at Blackpool.
      Joey scored 6 in 68 for us.

I don't think those figures are bad. Whilst not earth shattering all are capable of chipping in whilst supporting Charlie who has a frightening goal to game ratio.

No I can't guarantee safety but I personally believe we will have enough in the tank to finish higher up than 3 of crystal palace, burnley, Leicester, west brom, Sunderland, Stoke and hull.
      You might not believe me, but I genuinely hope you are right. But aren't a couple of your stats just a tiny bit selective? Mutch and Caulker I grant you and I bow to your greater knowledge of where Vargas was played and why he was shipped out to the wing. But Charlie's "frightening" goals ratio was at Championship level (important difference, as I am sure you would acknowledge); Kranjcar and Phillips have since both played for QPR so surely those figures are more relevant (though sadly less impressive, despite being in the Championship); and a number of Joey's goals were in the Champ. I would add that our defence is not exactly Fort Knox as we saw at White Hart Lane, so it is optimistic to think we will pick up three points too often by scoring one goal. It is unlikely all those attacking players you list can be accommodated in one team. We also played with one striker last season yet didn't get midfielders into scoring positions, let alone get them scoring - maybe this season with better coaching and better players that will change. My overall view is that our midfield is MUCH stronger than the sides you list but that all of those teams with the probable exception of Burnley have goals in them.

Comment

I quoted Charlie's past as there is no way of gauging his premiership potential but every level he has played at he scores 1 in 2 or better.
        I listed Phillips's previous clubs as he arrived injured, featured often as a substitute and finished injured last season.

Regards spurs - every team has a result that is an aberration. Arsenal lost 8-2 to United in 11/12 and still finished 3rd, this season spurs lost 3-0 to Liverpool and Everton lost 6-3 to chelsea and yet I don't hear people saying that their defences are too weak to survive.

I'll say it again I'd rather people reserve their judgements until at least game 10 when we will have a clearer picture if how this team is shaping up.

Comment

Tewwy Tibbs has spoken!

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
            I quoted Charlie's past as there is no way of gauging his premiership potential but every level he has played at he scores 1 in 2 or better.
            I listed Phillips's previous clubs as he arrived injured, featured often as a substitute and finished injured last season.

Regards spurs - every team has a result that is an aberration. Arsenal lost 8-2 to United in 11/12 and still finished 3rd, this season spurs lost 3-0 to Liverpool and Everton lost 6-3 to chelsea and yet I don't hear people saying that their defences are too weak to survive.

I'll say it again I'd rather people reserve their judgements until at least game 10 when we will have a clearer picture if how this team is shaping up.

But that's just it, you are demanding those who don't agree with you reserve their judgements while you come right out with your own judgements. How can you possibly compare us to Liverpool etc, and how do you know the Spurs result was an aberration, some might say it was fairly in keeping for a promoted side? And most posters seem agreed that Charlie would do well to get a dozen goals in the Prem - judging by past experience - so the Championship stats you quote not really that relevant - if anyone seriously thought he would produce anything like the ratio you quote he would be worth 30m! So you see, plenty of valid opinions to the contrary...

Comment

I see only one clear conclusion: a lot of time is wasted on internet forums!
              'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

To score, first we must shoot first..!

Comment

I said it before and I'll say it again, Charlie is a player that can adapt to any situation or league. A new star is born!

Comment

Stainrod I wouldn't disagree with you but I find it very hard to listen to constant negativity without trying to balance it with unjustified (according to some) optimism

I personally think to club have done brilliantly considering they want yo stick to a wage cap and are ever mindful of the FFP

I would also find it to sing my heart out for the lads if I just waited for the "inevitable" drubbing.

Comment

I saw enough saturday to tell me we should score a goal a game. Whether that'll be enough who knows....

Comment

There is still a bit of a barca obsession that still holds sway among the playstation classes -
                        ie no strikers + tiny midfielders = winning+beautifulplay+goals - but the reality is very different, for a start that system relied on many world class players.
                        in football goalscorers are highly prized because so few players actually score goals - it is rare for a player to suddenly start scoring lots - as i see it there is a lot on charlie shoulders right now

Comment

Originally posted by zeberdee View Post
                          There is still a bit of a barca obsession that still holds sway among the playstation classes -
                          ie no strikers + tiny midfielders = winning+beautifulplay+goals - but the reality is very different, for a start that system relied on many world class players.
                          in football goalscorers are highly prized because so few players actually score goals - it is rare for a player to suddenly start scoring lots - as i see it there is a lot on charlie shoulders right now
                          Shoulder, hes only got one good one dont forget.

Comment

Originally posted by zeberdee View Post
                            As there was last year and when fit he duly delivered

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                              Everywhere.
                              We finally have a squad with goalscorers in every position, we have Austin, vargas up front, Phillips, hoillett as wide scorers, Kranjcar, Taarabt as attacking midfield options, fer, barton, mutch and sandro can all score goals. Caulker and ned have a tendency to score from corners. Even our wing backs have scored a few. Add to that the creativity in our midfield, I'm sure our goalscorers will have the opportunity to score plenty of goals.
                              Agree we look good in every position very happy with that squad
                              TWITTER
                              @alanfullerqpr

FACEBOOK
                              Alan Fuller

QPR IS MY LIFE.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                                Hmmmm. Sandro can't score goals (three in eighty one appearances for Spurs); Barton got three last year; Ned's two goals last year can't be called a tendency; caulker scored nine goals in five years, which is good for a CB, but he s not a goalscorer you can rely in; Fer seemingly averages a goal every ten games; Isla's only scored six goals in his career; Traore????
                                Hope there will be more than 7 players playing each game.
                                According to this the maximum could be 13 for the season not going to give many points, but you were trying to show there are no goals in the team.

I see it this way and 40 goals should give some points, hopefully 40
                                Ferdinand 2, Caulker 4, rest of defense 2
                                Barton 2, Mutch 4, Fer 4, Hoilett 2, Phillips 2 rest of midfield 2
                                Austin 10, rest of strikers 6

Comment

Working...
                                X