Formations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formations

Given the somewhat limited recognised strikers, and the sheer embarrassment of riches we now have in midfield, I think we could adopt either 433 or 4231 more often than not.

It will allow us a solid back line but versatility in attack. Also given the fact we have only Charlie and Zamora to play a central role it would make sense. if in an advanced front 3, one of them would be central with the likes of Adel and Phillips / Hoilett / Vargas making up the other 2. If playing 4231 it would be one up with 3 behind offering lots of options for movement and runners etc.

Obviously we still have the personnel to play 352 as Harry originally touted, in which case it would be more of a 3511 with Vargas / Taraabt / Hoilett / Krancjar playing in the hole behind the front man.

So not all doom and gloom as we've still had one hell of a window and the likes of Rio, Caulker Fer, Sandro, Isla, Vargas are all top class additions, plus Mutch has bags of potential, and a fit Niko could be a revelation as could Adel if he's up for it, who will also effectively be a new player for us.

Worried about the fullback positions. Ned as only senior right back cover doesn't fill me with confidence. Also Isla is probably not as good defensively as he is going forward, he's almost a winger just like Traore. So perhaps 3-5-2 isn't dead yet. We do have a lot of versatility though and can shape up in many different ways, courtesy of our abundance in midfield. Not sure whether Taraabt will feature much despite what Tony said.

Comment

[QUOTE=fisnik;1319550]Worried about the fullback positions. Ned as only senior right back cover doesn't fill me with confidence. Also Isla is probably not as good defensively as he is going forward, he's almost a winger just like Traore. So perhaps 3-5-2 isn't dead yet. We do have a lot of versatility though and can shape up in many different ways, courtesy of our abundance in midfield. Not sure whether Taraabt will feature much despite what Tony said.[/QUOTE

I think with the defence protection in Sandro and Barton it will mean 352 is used a fair bit also, but think it best at home when we'd be on top of teams more. As for Adel, if he gets fitter he could feature a fair bit as a left sided attacker, or in the hole, or as an option off the bench.

Comment

The midfield is one of the strongest the club has ever had!
        Kept the faith!

Comment

Think we will see something like this against Stoke:

Comment

Vargas, Adel and Niko, two of the three will replace Phillips and Hoilett? Players coming off the bench will be a better quality.
            Kept the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by californiahoop View Post
              Vargas, Adel and Niko, two of the three will replace Phillips and Hoilett? Players coming off the bench will be a better quality.
              Wouldnt surprise me to see one of those on one wing with an out and out winger on the other. Very similar to what Wenger operates - a winger on one side that has the ability to go past a man while a more intelligent, build up play style player on the other.

Comment

My team for Man U. Three at the back...

Green
                Caulker Ferdinand Hill
                Isla Barton Sandro Yun
                Fer
                Zamora Austin

Comment

I don't think Harry has given up on the 3-5-2 yet, I am glad he has shown the flexibility to change it when it's not working! I suspect losing Remy and not bringing in another striker whilst being loaded with options in the midfield will dictate the formation(s) he may play!
                  @gatorTFC

Comment

Harry said that the 3-5-2 was used to get a second striker into the team. He felt that 4-4-2 gets overrun in midfield if the other team plays with 5 in midfield.

I think the assumption here was that we wanted both Remy and Charlie in the team. Now that Remy has gone, I'm expecting to see the 3-5-2 ditched and a lot more 4-2-3-1 (or 4-4-1-1).
                    'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                      Harry said that the 3-5-2 was used to get a second striker into the team. He felt that 4-4-2 gets overrun in midfield if the other team plays with 5 in midfield.

I think the assumption here was that we wanted both Remy and Charlie in the team. Now that Remy has gone, I'm expecting to see the 3-5-2 ditched and a lot more 4-2-3-1 (or 4-4-1-1).
                      Exactly what I was going to post!

Comment

the christmas tree formation looms my friends....4 3 2 1
                        you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
                          the christmas tree formation looms my friends....4 3 2 1
                          Was it venables or hoddle that used that for England?

Comment

I think it`s gonna have to be 1 up front, it would seriously worry me seeing Charlie & Vargas on the pitch at the same time purely as it would be a matter who gets injured first(if it can go wrong for us it almost always does).
                            Would love to see them together as I think they could be lethal together but just need more than Bobby as a fallback striker.
                            So yeah I see some variation of 4-5-1 from now on, we just need the mids to attack and get ahead of Austin from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                              Think we will see something like this against Stoke:

I think this is our best formation. You can put vargas on the wing, tarrabt and Niko could play as #10's and Mutch would be a super sub.

Comment

Working...
                              X