All Aboard The Gravy Train.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Aboard The Gravy Train.....

Is it just me or does anyone feel that the club are being taken for a ride by Harry and his band of merry men?

Don't get me wrong Harry has a great number of positives, not least his ability to attract so called 'big name players' and his ability to raise the profile of the club above what our size probably determines. Despite this I cannot get the feeling that he doesn't really want to be at Rangers out of my mind.

I personally think the whole England thing really knocked him for six and made him disillusioned with the game. In a number of interviews he rightly questions the relationships between multi millionaire players and the ability of a manager to keep them disciplined as well as comments that he would've left had we not got promoted. All of which continue to paint the picture of a manager who is in a role that he is not enjoying. None of this really matters if it doesn't affect the players, but already there are a number of worrying signs that suggest to me that the players are not fully prepared. The total lack of tactical awareness from corners continues to be a severe problem, surely this is worked upon in detail in training. We really look like conceding at every one, players do not seem to be aware of their jobs.

The recent appointment of Hoddle has been called a master stroke in some quarters, but for me do we really need another coach 'to come in for a few days' and fit us in between his media commitments? It stinks of another job for the boys, and I feel that Fernandes and Beard are too starstruck of our 'Arry to question anything he does. What do Bond and Jordan do? The only time you hear from Bond is when Harry has disappeared sharpish and Bond has to reluctantly do the post match press conference.

To give him some credit he did a fantastic job of getting rid of the parasites that Hughes bought it and in someways it was a miraculous job in getting us promoted. Personally though Mclaren has to take a HUGE amount of credit for rebuilding the team spirit that was key in getting us back to the Prem. I think the squad we had post Bosignwa departure plus renewed team spirit, I could have taken us up.

It is very early days after all. I think that Christmas has to be a cut off point for us, if we are not in a reasonable position then I think we have to look for a keen young manager who has the hunger to be a success. For me I think that Harry's hunger has gone and that can only translate negatively to the players. All in all I hope I'm wrong.
    :drunk:

Just you!!!
    You won't get support for leaving it till christmas before making a managerial change......some brilliant minds on here want a change now.....and then again at the end of october.......then again jan the 1st
    in time for the window.........then again 1st may ....(someone with a good knowledge of the championship to bring us back up immediately!)

Comment

Originally posted by kingy10 View Post
      Is it just me or does anyone feel that the club are being taken for a ride by Harry and his band of merry men?

Don't get me wrong Harry has a great number of positives, not least his ability to attract so called 'big name players' and his ability to raise the profile of the club above what our size probably determines. Despite this I cannot get the feeling that he doesn't really want to be at Rangers out of my mind.

I personally think the whole England thing really knocked him for six and made him disillusioned with the game. In a number of interviews he rightly questions the relationships between multi millionaire players and the ability of a manager to keep them disciplined as well as comments that he would've left had we not got promoted. All of which continue to paint the picture of a manager who is in a role that he is not enjoying. None of this really matters if it doesn't affect the players, but already there are a number of worrying signs that suggest to me that the players are not fully prepared. The total lack of tactical awareness from corners continues to be a severe problem, surely this is worked upon in detail in training. We really look like conceding at every one, players do not seem to be aware of their jobs.

The recent appointment of Hoddle has been called a master stroke in some quarters, but for me do we really need another coach 'to come in for a few days' and fit us in between his media commitments? It stinks of another job for the boys, and I feel that Fernandes and Beard are too starstruck of our 'Arry to question anything he does. What do Bond and Jordan do? The only time you hear from Bond is when Harry has disappeared sharpish and Bond has to reluctantly do the post match press conference.

To give him some credit he did a fantastic job of getting rid of the parasites that Hughes bought it and in someways it was a miraculous job in getting us promoted. Personally though Mclaren has to take a HUGE amount of credit for rebuilding the team spirit that was key in getting us back to the Prem. I think the squad we had post Bosignwa departure plus renewed team spirit, I could have taken us up.

It is very early days after all. I think that Christmas has to be a cut off point for us, if we are not in a reasonable position then I think we have to look for a keen young manager who has the hunger to be a success. For me I think that Harry's hunger has gone and that can only translate negatively to the players. All in all I hope I'm wrong.
      Top post.

Not just a knee-jerk reaction but in the last 2 years, there isn't much Harry did to impress me.

Comment

we were extra time from failing to win promotion and financial ruin!
        you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

I agree about Maclaran for sure, but I don't agree it was miraculous job getting us back up. We should have been top 2 and were bookies favourite before season started....so how scraping through in the play-offs is miraculous, odd injury or not, I just don't see.

I am not under any illusions that Harry is a top manager, despite his 4th place with Spurs, but i aslo don't think we could get anyone better really. Keeping Maclaran and him taking over may have been a good option, but that option has gone.

However, I don't see how moving to a 3 at the back when we don't have the players for it is sensible at all. And playing cart-horses that could be out-paced by a lame pidgeon is also beyond me. But what do I know - I am not a football manager.
          twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

I am quite amazed how people who have no idea about what goes on at the club are prepared to give HR such little credit for turning our fortunes around, and at the same time give Steve McClaren huge credit when he wasn't even with us for 3 months.

I'm not arguing that the comments are wrong, just question how people know what SM did for us when in the same breath they say they have no clue what Bond or Jordan do.

Comment

Coaching/tactically wise HR/KB/JJ are dinosaurs. Doubt any of them have been on any coaching courses for years. HR has brought in McClaren & then Hoddle because they have more idea re modern coaching & tactics IMHO obviously

Comment

Originally posted by LeeCookFan View Post
                in the last 2 years, there isn't much Harry did to impress me.
                Promotion to the premier league in his first full season was a pretty rubbish achievement I agree.

Getting rid of almost every poisonous, high earning waster at the club was crap I agree

Signing young players with resale value & a future at the club was again a very poor effort

Totally agree with you.

Harry out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
                  Promotion to the premier league in his first full season was a pretty rubbish achievement I agree.

Getting rid of almost every poisonous, high earning waster at the club was crap I agree

Signing young players with resale value & a future at the club was again a very poor effort

Totally agree with you.

Harry out.
                  Good comeback.

Comment

Totally agree with you.

Harry out.
                    Top Post!

Comment

Totally agree with you.

Harry out.
                      But our 'Arry tells us constantly that he leaves transfers to Phil Beard and the Chairman, so how much credit should he take from points 2 and 3?

Yet again, we had the biggest budget in the league, scraped into the play offs and scraped through the final after being comprehensively outplayed for 89 minutes, so how much credit is there in point 1?

Playing your favourites irrespective of form (Dunne, Traore, Barton); putting new signings in who aren't ready (Fer, Isla, etc.), replacing the team that got promotion systematically and throwing a formation in that none of them has played before without training them HOW to play it, sitting on your **** without issuing instruction whilst YOUR team is being torn a new hole in the first away game of the season, ignoring the development of OUR youth preferring to get our gullible chairman to buy MORE players.

...and no, I don't want him out yet, but don't be too impressed by what you think he has done; I reckon its a hell of a lot less than you think and a bit more than I think...

Comment

Originally posted by davman View Post
                        But our 'Arry tells us constantly that he leaves transfers to Phil Beard and the Chairman, so how much credit should he take.
                        He's the manager who knows players & gives the chairman a list of players he wants & the business end if it, wages, contract length, clauses etc is dealt with by the money people TF & the person he's put in charge of such matters Philip Beard. Is is that hard to comprehend? Are you that naive mate?

Your point about SCRAPING into the play offs & scoring an 89th minute goal is equally laughable & slightly embarrassing.

To point out the obvious our season was based over 49 games yes FORTY NINE games. We accumulated enough points to get us into the play offs & we won them. No credit given no? I would be the first to say the football was poor at times last season but I've also been around long enough watching football to know it was al about going up. It was not about style or substance it was a very clear brief. Get up & then we will build a style & hey ho its what we're trying to do this season.

People make me laugh when they say we nicked it with an 89th minute goal. Are we the only team in the world then to get a slice of much needed luck when we've bad very little of it? Point is we had done enough over FORTY NINE games to give us the opportunity to be granted that luck.

Wisen up friend & look at the big picture. Harry's done a sterling job. Judge him after 15-20 games.

Comment

He's the manager who knows players & gives the chairman a list of players he wants & the business end if it, wages, contract length, clauses etc is dealt with by the money people TF & the person he's put in charge of such matters Philip Beard. Is is that hard to comprehend? Are you that naive mate?

Your point about SCRAPING into the play offs & scoring an 89th minute goal is equally laughable & slightly embarrassing.

To point out the obvious our season was based over 49 games yes FORTY NINE games. We accumulated enough points to get us into the play offs & we won them. No credit given no? I would be the first to say the football was poor at times last season but I've also been around long enough watching football to know it was al about going up. It was not about style or substance it was a very clear brief. Get up & then we will build a style & hey ho its what we're trying to do this season.

People make me laugh when they say we nicked it with an 89th minute goal. Are we the only team in the world then to get a slice of much needed luck when we've bad very little of it? Point is we had done enough over FORTY NINE games to give us the opportunity to be granted that luck.

Wisen up friend & look at the big picture. Harry's done a sterling job. Judge him after 15-20 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post
                            I am quite amazed how people who have no idea about what goes on at the club are prepared to give HR such little credit for turning our fortunes around, and at the same time give Steve McClaren huge credit when he wasn't even with us for 3 months.

I'm not arguing that the comments are wrong, just question how people know what SM did for us when in the same breath they say they have no clue what Bond or Jordan do.
                            I heard directly from one of the players that Mclaren was loved and made a huge difference. Also told that Harry is very hands-off.
                            :drunk:

Comment

Some of us have been saying exactly what the OP has said since before Hughes had even been sacked...

A couple other points. Our budget was outrageously big compared to the rest of the division last season. Who else could bring in Ravel Morrison to cover for injuries? Sign Yossi Benayoun on a whim? We signed the best striker and the best winger in the division - imagine if Man City had signed Hazard and Suarez in the summer and Chelsea didn't exist (no financial rivals), and yet City still finished 4th...

It's great that Harry cleared out the deadwood, but I'm fairly sure that's more down to us paying off huge portions of their contracts rather than any particular transfer market genius on HR's part.

Yep, transfers this summer have largely been excellent, at least on paper. But I'm yet to see any signs that Harry is a halfway competent coach or tactical manager which is pretty disappointing from the world's 26th best paid manager.

Comment

Working...
                              X