The sports science side to us....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sports science side to us....

As we all know or are now finding out with the new type of managers like Martinez, Rodgers, etc starting to rise to the top of the game with their detail to everything the modern game/footballer needs. Not only with tactics, man management, but also the sports science to get footballers to push their bodies to the limit to become elite athletes as well as a man which has talent to play football. Do we think we have anything like this in place at QPR? If you go through our squad we have an alarming number of players who seem to be carrying a bit of timber for professional athletes. Niko, Dunne, even the picture of Barton when Vans little lad ran on the pitch, BAE & Hoillet also look to be carrying a few extra pounds. If we go back to last season, Taarabt was definetley over weight, but if you look at him now 4 months into a spell at AC Milan (who are renowned for their strict fitness regime) he is 2 stone lighter and looking like an athlete and now reaping the awards.

I bring this up as it doesn't matter how much talent you have, the fitter squads will always come out on top over a season, especially in the play offs. Also if we do go up, next season in the premiership week in week out against top players who are also top athletes you could imagine what would happen.

Does 'Arry' or his coaching staff, medical team, or whoever works on keeping players fit do their job properly?
    @chrisrobson9

I actually think we do Robson, I recall Kieran Dyer commenting on the in depth sports science invovled with our training which helped him start stringing some games together for us. Found something on the matter here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-urine-1341883

Which comments on it being under Hughes, so unsure whether that's changed / gone backwards under Arry.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Robsondinho View Post
      As we all know or are now finding out with the new type of managers like Martinez, Rodgers, etc starting to rise to the top of the game with their detail to everything the modern game/footballer needs. Not only with tactics, man management, but also the sports science to get footballers to push their bodies to the limit to become elite athletes as well as a man which has talent to play football. Do we think we have anything like this in place at QPR? If you go through our squad we have an alarming number of players who seem to be carrying a bit of timber for professional athletes. Niko, Dunne, even the picture of Barton when Vans little lad ran on the pitch, BAE & Hoillet also look to be carrying a few extra pounds. If we go back to last season, Taarabt was definetley over weight, but if you look at him now 4 months into a spell at AC Milan (who are renowned for their strict fitness regime) he is 2 stone lighter and looking like an athlete and now reaping the awards.

I bring this up as it doesn't matter how much talent you have, the fitter squads will always come out on top over a season, especially in the play offs. Also if we do go up, next season in the premiership week in week out against top players who are also top athletes you could imagine what would happen.

Does 'Arry' or his coaching staff, medical team, or whoever works on keeping players fit do their job properly?
      Your right Adel does seem to have shed some weight since his move from us (Fulham) and you raise a good point when you point out some of the other players that look heavier then they should be Niko a prime example and Hoillett always looks tubby. Also last season Samba took months to get anywhere near to fitness

I think BAE looks cut in my book his top looks like it is made to measure and he does not seem to be carrying any excess from what I can see

Comment

I'm pretty sure Hughes was big on the Sports Science side of things. Warnock certainly wasn't, as for Harry I'm really not sure.

Personally I think it's an absolute must these days. It's simply not good enough to be talented at the top end of the Football League any more, players need to be in peak physical condition too!

Comment

I think we can answer your question by looking at our whole off field set up.

Our "Manager" - a relic to the old days of 2 hours slog, then a fry up, afternoon in the pub, few bets and maybe a round of golf if the weathers nice
          Our "coaches" - does Wazzer Downes look like a fella who would focus on diets etc? I'd imagine he thinks Sports Science is a film sequel starring Brook Shields. As for Kevin Bland and Joe Jordan I cant see them pawing over Pro-ZOne stats etc
          Our Chief Exec - now I'm sure Bungle Beard can get a ground built, sign a great advertising deal or be a thoroughly nice fella in boardrooms but a man with football nouse he has proved not to be. "£80k a week no problem... injury history? Ahh that dont matter, just sign here...."
          Our owner - can Sports Science be summed up in 140 characters? I dont reckon TF would know where to start

Training Ground -- dont give me the pipe dream of Warren Farm. Thats at least 2 years away. All you need is a building. a pitch and the right people, approach and equipment inside it.

Pitches / Training routines - why do we get so many hamstrings? Why do our players take so long to recover?

Dietitian / Players Attitude -- do we have a dietitian? If so they should be sacked and replaced with someone who knows what they are doing. I'd also question our players disciplne and attitude to this approach; I get the feeling you could put a plate of salad and nuts in front of BAE and he'd simply put the Dr Dre's on and wander off to KFC or Burger King.

Our club has been rotten to the core for years - we missed a trick to have a root and branch change coming out of admin, changes in ownership. Now the answer just seems to be"chuck a few quid at it" and we limp along with ever burgeoning squads and sticking plaster solutions

The worst thing is that idiot Hughes spoke about bringing all these new age approaches in - did he though? If he did then it's something he got right in principle but yet another thing thats clearly set up all wrong!!!

Makes me weep!
          I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Comment

"dry your eyes mate.'

Comment

Bit tough on TF there Lblock as he will know from formula one involvement just how important science is

Bang on about coaches. Look at Sherwood, Martinez, Moyes even Hugheless all look like they have kept themselves in good nick and could put the kit on and still get about the pitch compare to Downes.

Comment

Obviously I don't know Downes from Adam, but he strikes me at the type to have a laugh about his weight. I seem to remember Austin tweeting a pic of him eating some cakes or something at the training ground. Also has no shame in the latest tunnel cam video wearing that tight fitting training top I can just imagine his defensive routines on the training ground.
                @chrisrobson9

Comment

Originally posted by LBLOCK View Post
                  I think we can answer your question by looking at our whole off field set up.

Our "Manager" - a relic to the old days of 2 hours slog, then a fry up, afternoon in the pub, few bets and maybe a round of golf if the weathers nice
                  Our "coaches" - does Wazzer Downes look like a fella who would focus on diets etc? I'd imagine he thinks Sports Science is a film sequel starring Brook Shields. As for Kevin Bland and Joe Jordan I cant see them pawing over Pro-ZOne stats etc
                  Our Chief Exec - now I'm sure Bungle Beard can get a ground built, sign a great advertising deal or be a thoroughly nice fella in boardrooms but a man with football nouse he has proved not to be. "£80k a week no problem... injury history? Ahh that dont matter, just sign here...."
                  Our owner - can Sports Science be summed up in 140 characters? I dont reckon TF would know where to start

Training Ground -- dont give me the pipe dream of Warren Farm. Thats at least 2 years away. All you need is a building. a pitch and the right people, approach and equipment inside it.

Pitches / Training routines - why do we get so many hamstrings? Why do our players take so long to recover?

Dietitian / Players Attitude -- do we have a dietitian? If so they should be sacked and replaced with someone who knows what they are doing. I'd also question our players disciplne and attitude to this approach; I get the feeling you could put a plate of salad and nuts in front of BAE and he'd simply put the Dr Dre's on and wander off to KFC or Burger King.

Our club has been rotten to the core for years - we missed a trick to have a root and branch change coming out of admin, changes in ownership. Now the answer just seems to be"chuck a few quid at it" and we limp along with ever burgeoning squads and sticking plaster solutions

The worst thing is that idiot Hughes spoke about bringing all these new age approaches in - did he though? If he did then it's something he got right in principle but yet another thing thats clearly set up all wrong!!!

Makes me weep!
                  Poetic & more to the point. Bang on!!

Comment

one thing is certain. QPR will not progress until they start to take the modern game as seriosuly as others like Martinez, Rodgers, and even Rosler & Dyche seem to be.
                    QPR have had far too many injury problems this season that could have been avoided such as hamstring, groind strain and other musclaur problems. Whilst injuries to ligaments and broken bones can be put down to bad luck, I don't think the same can be said for many of the other injuries players like Onouha, Traore, Hoilett Jenas Krancjar Barton SWP etc have suffered. Johnson and Zamora have a history of injury problems, so them missing for large parts of this season was no surprise to me or many others.

Regardless of what happens in the play-offs, Redknapp and his coaches need to either go or sports science and fitness coaches need to be brought in to work alongside them.

Comment

Isn't it mainly pace players who get hamstring injuries, due to speed stop and starts?

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26958475

Leicester seem to take it seriously

Comment

Hughes was big on sports science, nutrition etc. Majority of top teams nowadays are big on the sports science/psychology and have teams of people working on it. Wenger introduced it at arsenal when he took over. This is not a thing that the new managers (rodgers, martinez etc) have introduced into british football, its more their style of play and tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26958475

Leicester seem to take it seriously
                            I was going to point to that link, and also to this one: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26943611.

I've mentioned on here before that one of the keys to City's achievement this year has been the backroom staff: attention to diets, training, fitness etc has meant that there have been almost no training ground injuries. It's meant a more-or-less consistent matchday squad, which has to make a difference to the way the team gels together.

Of course, good young hungry players make a difference as well, as does a policy of not having big-time-charlies and "one last big payday" merchants.

Comment

[QUOTE=LanguedocFox;1249057]It's meant a more-or-less consistent matchday squad, which has to make a difference to the way the team gels together.QUOTE]

Exactly what we have missed ALL season

Comment

Working...
                              X