Director of football.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MYU View Post
    Well the DOF was buying players that AVB didn't want to sign and then was sacked, do we want that at this club?

I want the manager to select and buy the players he wants.

But With a Dof, you will see that he is a person whose task is to implement a whole set of new ideas from how to coach the youth and the seniorsquad after the same ideas. This is the way Soton and Barcelona are working. A successfull manager and DOF shall complement each other. Pardew and Kinear did not.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by qpr View Post
      Warnock already said he'd do it
      Eaxctly. I asked to appoint him last season.
      QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
        Yes, we do. PB is not a fotballman, niether is TF.
        Ok, so give me one example where a British club has gone down the route of having a Director of Football and a Head Coach and it has worked?

In practice what happens is the Director of Football signs the players that he feels the club needs but in many cases do not fit the managers philosophy. In worst case scenarios you can end up with unbalanced squads and the wrong players for the system that the manager wants to play. If you need an example just have a look at Spurs this season.

What we need is a manager that has full responsibility for signing the players that he needs, but a firm transfer policy driven by the board. This policy should dictate that we should try to sign young, up and coming talent wherever possible, we should not pay a transfer fee for players past a certain age, we should limit contract lengths for older players and there should of course be a wage cap.

Phil Beard is a part of the club, he is trusted by Fernandes and is clearly a guy with an impressive history (allbeit not in football). I'm sure he has learned a lot over the past 3 years and to oust him in favour of a DOF now would be a waste of those 3 years.
        Last edited by Tarbie; 23-04-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          Ok, so give me one example where a British club has gone down the route of having a Director of Football and a Head Coach and it has worked?

In practice what happens is the Director of Football signs the players that he feels the club needs but in many cases do not fit the managers philosophy. In worst case scenarios you can end up with unbalanced squads and the wrong players for the system that the manager wants to play. If you need an example just have a look at Spurs this season.

What we need is a manager that has full responsibility for signing the players that he needs, but a firm transfer policy driven by the board. This policy should dictate that we should try to sign young, up and coming talent wherever possible, we should not pay a transfer fee for players past a certain age, we should limit contract lengths for older players and there should of course be a wage cap.

Phil Beard is a part of the club, he is trusted by Fernandes and is clearly a guy with an impressive history (allbeit not in football). I'm sure he has learned a lot over the past 3 years and to oust him in favour of a DOF now would be a waste of those 3 years.
          Good point of view. I think I tend to agree with you now. Keep Phillip Beard then. You also remind me of Joe Kinear at Newcastle.
          QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Originally posted by Yousef View Post
            Good point of view. I think I tend to agree with you now. Keep Phillip Beard then. You also remind me of Joe Kinear at Newcastle.
            Newcastle have had stab at the whole "Director of Football" set up a couple of times now Yousef. The first attempt was with Dennis Wise in the DOF role and Keegan as First Team Manager, all they achieved that time was giving Keegan the hump!

The most recent stab with Kinnear wasn't any better, the only player he signed was Loic Remy, other than that he just made himself and the club look daft in the press!
            Last edited by Tarbie; 23-04-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I think we need one.
              But who?
              Kaspars Gorkks?

Comment

If this should work, the entire club´s philosophy, from bottom to top, has to be the same. That was obviously not the case at Newcastle. That was my point.
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy View Post
                  What does a director of football actually do?
                  Buys players , then blames manager for poor performances and gets manager the sack

Comment

You do know that article is about a computer game?

Comment

Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
                      You do know that article is about a computer game?
                      Yes, know.

But there are other excamples on the same subject out there.
                      Last edited by Shania; 23-04-2014, 12:48 PM.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by winalotto View Post
                        Buys players , then blames manager for poor performances and gets manager the sack
                        That's about right to be fair!

Comment

If this should work, the entire club´s philosophy, from bottom to top, has to be the same. That was obviously not the case at Newcastle. That was my point.
                          I just don't see the point in having in having a Director signing players, it has never worked in the English game and it p*sses managers off no end not being in charge of what players are signed. Pick the right manager and give him a Chief Scout or similar to work on his behalf identifying players to sign. Old school I know but it works in English football.

Comment

Originally posted by fisnik View Post
                            Not up to PB to decide whether to allow the manager to sign a player or not. TF decides on that.
                            Wrong.

Beard has a budget & he signs the cheques within that. I'm sure TF has an input if & when needed but Beard is head honcho when it comes to contracts.

Comment

I just don't see the point in having in having a Director signing players, it has never worked in the English game and it p*sses managers off no end not being in charge of what players are signed. Pick the right manager and give him a Chief Scout or similar to work on his behalf identifying players to sign. Old school I know but it works in English football.
                              I see what you mean and it´s a fact that it has seldom(never) worked in British football. But to me it seems like Soton Works after a set pattern from bottom to top.
                              The intention should be that the DOF will allways be there With his and the Club´s vision of how to play. Mind you, the manager or 1st. team Coach might all of sudden quit the job for whatever reason.
                              In that respect, look at how often we change a manager and TF. have to buy him new players.

But anyway, Robsondiho and others are experts on this topic, I should believe.
                              QPR
                              Best team in the world
                              Sort of

Comment

A DOF is the way to run a club if done properly. Anyone see the doc on Man C? The DOF there, Txiki Begiristain said quite simply, you identify your playing style. You identify your players to fit the style. You identify your coach to play the style. The CEO there is also from Barca so they will be copying the same philosophy of total football from kids to players over years. Once the infrastructure is set, you save money by bringing most players thru the ranks.

Then there is no more money being wasted on wrong players brought in by wrong managers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26182706
                                Last edited by Olly; 23-04-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X